News   Jul 12, 2024
 965     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 841     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 342     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

If it happened at Mount Pleasant, then it is absolutely a dispatch problem.
Perhaps the point is too nuanced for some? When does Metrolinx take ownership of their mandate's responsibility?

Request for Qualifications Issued for Transformational GO Rail Project
April 03, 2018
TORONTO - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx have issued a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for interested parties to design build, finance, operate and maintain the GO Rail expansion project.
The RFQ outlines the scope of work required, which includes:
  • Operation of train services including train driving
  • Timetable planning, train control and dispatch for all operators across the GO-owned network
  • [...]
So Air Canada's ground service contractor pull your plane into the wrong berth, and there's no notice posted. "It's not our fault, it's someone else's".

Try that in the open market...

Perhaps the point is too nuanced for some? When does Metrolinx take ownership of their mandate's responsibility?

So Air Canada's ground service contractor pull your plane into the wrong berth, and there's no notice posted. "It's not our fault, it's someone else's".

Try that in the open market...

Nuanced or not, that's how the system does (or doesn't) work.

And considering that CN is the track owner and operator....if you don't like it, you're more than welcome to take your ball and go home. Your call.

And for the record, changing the operator of the service isn't going to change or fix anything if they're still running on CN's (or CP's) tracks.

Dan

And considering that CN is the track owner and operator....if you don't like it, you're more than welcome to take your ball and go home. Your call.
Not quite. There's a contract and regs to consider, and beside that, the platform displays and central displays don't co-relate. Perhaps you could explain that?

And also how Metrolinx themselves don't know which platforms their trains are at. Seems to be a critical lack of communications...spin that any way you wish. No matter which way, it ain't good.
Car 54 Where are you?

^The fact is that at Bloor I had to run down to check not only for my own train, but also for others waiting on a platform with luggage et al only to find it was coming in on the wrong platform as indicated on the platform displays, and did so just in time from seeing it coming up on another track from Onion.

Really leaves a sense of competence for foreign visitors to relate to. I had to jam the door open with my bike on the UP train to allow those who had to use the elevators (the slowest in the world) to catch up. I ran down and up steps with my bike to get there in time. Absolutely no announcement that the track had changed from what was on the display screen, even though the ticket office was manned at the time. I'm sure he wasn't informed either.

CN dispatching UPX. What could possibly go wrong?

^ This might give a 'way-out' for TTC and Presto. I could also see it being problematic too. I've noticed far too many kids riding the TTC in rush hour when they could be walking the few blocks they ride. If they were conscientious passengers, it wouldn't be so bad, but they have even less sense than the grown morons blocking doors and standing like the zombies they are when you want to get to the back of the bus/streetcar where invariably, there's empty seats.

And the backpacks...I ask nicely once, then I push them out of the way...

Addendum: The more I think about this, the more I dislike allowing free child fares during rush-hour. Subways, buses, streetcars and GO buses/trains are packed at peak. Why exacerbate the problem?

Something has to be found to allow those kids who really need a ride to do so, but not carte-blanche for the many kids that badly need exercise as it is.

This is going to go wrong as proposed...

Last edited:

Back