News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 987     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Update. This turned out to be incorrect. Please ignore.

Is the new GO schedule for the Kitchener Line out for Feb 13th? Someone mentioned to me that

I just learned that the 4:35 train will only go to Malton! So anyone going to Bramalea and beyond will either have to be on the 4:04 or the 4:50

@ShaunTO

Last edited:
Hmm.

I looked up the trip options for Union to KW for Feb 13.

It shows 4:35 to Bramalea.

But it doesn't show the 4:50 at all!

Ooops.

Why is that day even active if its not up to date?

I had to think about this for a bit, only to realize there's a context missing for the numbers that plays right into your point:

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2019/01/...-map-released-for-go-and-up-express-stations/

There's no indication of the *origin* of the trips, assuming the vast majority are return ones. The quote above indicates travel to or toward Barrie! But then one can think: 'That's neutralized in terms of co-fare stats'...except is it?

For instance, are Bloor' and Kipling's numbers skewed by being destinations, or origins? And would "fare/transfer policy" play equally into that?

It's a really good question. There may be a multiplicity of factors playing into this (cost of parking, local bus service factors, general income levels of riders, et al) as I'm intrigued with the difference in numbers between Guelph and K/W, Guelph's being higher than K/W, (up to, depending how you define the catchment area) five times its size!

And yet GRT offers a cheaper co-fare than Guelph Transit does, ostensibly with less constraints on it as well:

This looks like a job for Steve Munro to do a multi-page analysis on!

Addendum: This went up while I was posting:

Yeah, it makes taking the map/chart figures at face value misleading without another layer or more of detail compensating for it. There's some amazing stories indicated in those stats, but the story may not be as it initially seems.
Top 25 Bussiest.png
Top 25 least Bussiest.png

Sorted by more daily ridership and least!

^There's still a massive ambiguity though. I'm trying to find the definition for "Daily Ridership"...and so far, it's not what many of us commonly think, that being a single commuter taking a return trip each day.

Back later on this when I get definitions on-line to co-relate.

Also would have been nice if they could have broken down the ridership by peak, off peak and weekend.

Also would have been nice if they could have broken down the ridership by peak, off peak and weekend.
And that's another crucial point. Some of those station have no service outside of weekday peak. Linearity of comparison is problematic in so many ways. Some posters have made excellent attempts to add meaningful dimension, but someone is going to have to come up with an 'interactive' map that displays the many criteria by clicking on selection button, as per the filters posters have described.

I suspect it's a matter of time until someone does...and should, since it seems it's beyond Metrolinx themselves to do it. Or there might be sinister reasons ML doesn't!

I will never understand why this is just within Toronto proposal/idea.

Because it isn't. Most Toronto-based media simplified the headline to portray the Toronto benefits, but it's actually a province-wide change. It is simply a reduction in the base fare to $3.00, down from than the current $4.71, and a free pass for the first couple zone surcharges. Presumably the zone fares would be increased such that long-distance trips stay about the same cost as today.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4126077/...nsit-and-union-pearson-express-fares-in-2019/
Early in the new year, trips anywhere on the GO network under 10 kilometres will cost just $3 for PRESTO users

Early in the new year, trips anywhere on the GO network under 10 kilometres will cost just $3 for PRESTO users
It must have explicitly been removed it from the budget.
It was, and it immediately became clear how that flagged the heavy boot coming down on almost every aspect of GO serving more people more sensibly.

Because it isn't. Most Toronto-based media simplified the headline to portray the Toronto benefits, but it's actually a province-wide change. It is simply a reduction in the base fare to $3.00, down from than the current $4.71, and a free pass for the first couple zone surcharges. Presumably the zone fares would be increased such that long-distance trips stay about the same cost as today.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4126077/...nsit-and-union-pearson-express-fares-in-2019/
That would still not produce $3 fares in other municipalities.

It would produce $3 trips within Toronto (eg Ex and Union are in the same zone) but not (to use the example I am most familiar with) in Brampton where all 3 GO stations are different zones.

That would still not produce $3 fares in other municipalities.

It would produce $3 trips within Toronto (eg Ex and Union are in the same zone) but not (to use the example I am most familiar with) in Brampton where all 3 GO stations are different zones.
Most Toronto stations are in different zones than Union.

The budget said that "Beginning in early 2019, the province is reducing the cost of GO Transit trips to just $3 for PRESTO users who are travelling under 10 kilometres anywhere on the GO network".

Clearly that's more than just a single fare zone. It also said that "All GO Transit and Union-Pearson Express trips anywhere within the City of Toronto will be reduced to $3" which would cover many fare zones inside the City of Toronto.

"

^IIRC, it was based on distance, not zones. And it covers buses as well as trains.
April 5, 2018 9:35 A.M.
Office of the Premier

Today Premier Kathleen Wynne announced a number of ways that Ontario is lowering the cost of taking public transit:

• Beginning in early 2019, the province is reducing the cost of GO Transit trips to just $3 for PRESTO users who are travelling under 10 kilometres anywhere on the GO network
  • All GO Transit and Union-Pearson Express trips anywhere within the City of Toronto will be reduced to $3
  • With proceeds from Ontario's cap on pollution, the province will also provide fare integration discounts of up to $1.50 per ride for anyone who travels between the York, Durham, Brampton and Mississauga transit networks and the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), saving regular commuters up to $720 every year
  • PRESTO card users travelling on GO Transit between Union Station and stations near Toronto, such as Port Credit, Malton, Pickering, Ajax or Markham will see fare reductions.
  • [...]
  • Quick Facts
    • Adult fares for GO Transit trips between approximately 10 km and 20 km will also be reduced, and will vary between $3 to $6, depending on the specific route.
[...]
https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2018/04/making-transit-more-affordable.html

Note: "With proceeds from Ontario's cap on pollution". Ford axed all the programs, including this (these), when he announced the withdrawal of compliance with the tax.

Last edited:

Back