News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 389     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Yes . . . I always look forward to starting my vacation day a couple of hours before dawn or just before dinner.
lol...you beat me to it. The sub-string was about the train, and in fact, as the excellent blog on the Niagara train points out, the local GO bus has been serving the region for a decade, every hour, during the day. And IIRC, faster too. It would have to be a really broke tourist or a real transit nerd to consider taking the GO to Niagara Falls. Mega and Greyhound are start at $17 return from Toronto, albeit, yes, booked. Try just showing up at a hotel after getting off your unbooked GO ride. Real adventure!

The sub-string was about the train ...
The comment about marketing to tourists in the future, to be exact, was "possibly introduce express/semi-express trains to Niagara. If so, it might eventually be marketed to tourists" so wasn't even discussing the current schedule and daily train.

Surely replying and pointing out the inadequacy of the current schedule deserves a reply pointing out the current bus schedule.

The comment about marketing to tourists in the future, to be exact, was "possibly introduce express/semi-express trains to Niagara. If so, it might eventually be marketed to tourists" so wasn't even discussing the current schedule and daily train.

Surely replying and pointing out the inadequacy of the current schedule deserves a reply pointing out the current bus schedule.

Thank you. Of course I mean in the future. I think 1 train/day is just a baby step.

I certainly hope GO service to Niagara will be marketed to tourists. Yes there are other options, but with GO, you just hop on and go. No buying a ticket in advance. I think it would be a great boost to Niagara tourism.
Well my apologies. When exactly do you think this might happen? Ten years? Twenty? Is this before or after Private Enterprise builds the stations and CN comes to an agreement with Metrolinx?

Or were you talking buses all this time?

Because I answered:
Errr...with what budget? And on whose tracks?
And now suddenly it's all about buses...which have been running for years.

Meantime, still up on GO's website (their one promoting the Niagara Region to tourists)
The Future of GO
As Niagara grows, our transit network is growing too. By 2021, GO Trains will be rolling all the way to Grimsby. By 2023, more than 25-kilometres of new track from West Harbour GO Station will see GO Trains regularly servicing Niagara Falls.
Click here to learn more about the GO Expansion along the Niagara corridor.
https://www.gotransit.com/en/travel...-and-events/niagara-seasonal-go-train-service

Well I'm glad they've got everything sorted out...
You asked and we listened.

Regular GO service is coming to Niagara Region in January 2019!
If there’s something you love about Ontario, it can probably be found in Niagara. It’s the site of a titanic natural wonder of the world. It’s premier wine country, home to the famous vintages Canadians love. It’s dotted with B&Bs, picture-perfect hotels, and plenty to explore. The region is currently served by trains running between Union Station and Burlington GO, with buses to Niagara Region. The summer GO service between Union Station and Niagara has been a huge success.
But good things are growing in Niagara, and more people are moving there.
And we have very exciting news! We are bringing regular GO train service to commuters in Niagara Falls and St. Catharines starting January 2019. Find out more about the service at gotransit.com/schedulechanges.
We are able to deliver these improvements now thanks to an even stronger working relationship we have built with CN Railways.
We are continuing to work to bring GO service to Confederation station in Stoney Creek and to Grimsby as soon as possible.
And this new service is just the beginning. Expect more great news from us in 2019!

Niagara Region Project Map

niagara-map.jpg

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/greaterregion/regions/niagara.aspx
So perhaps @nfitz could correct them on that not being trains, but buses? What's a poor tourist to do? Trust a Metrolinx website, or read forums like this one?
Regular GO service is coming to Niagara Region in January 2019!
Perhaps it's becoming apt to ask "What do you mean by 'Regular'"?

Last edited:

I mean, which tourists are we referring to?

Here in Kitchener, I'd say that 20-30% of all Thursday/Friday traffic on (former) 6:47 and 7:10 trains were people going to Toronto for a day trip (especially if there was a school PA day or a holiday or whatnot). Obviously it makes no sense for Toronto tourists to go to Niagara Falls so late at night, but it might make sense for some people in Niagara Falls to visit Toronto by taking the GO train. Like the 401, the QEW is a nightmare to drive on especially during rush hours, so avoiding driving or taking a bus that requires the use of extremely congested routes may make more sense to some people.

No one uses the QEW because it's always so busy!

A contrary view on the new Niagara GO train.

Thank you for posting this; and to all who have discussed!

The discourse around Niagara - "that there is no GO unless there's a GO *train*" - has been bugging me for years. It sort of boiled over during the weekend, resulting in that blog post. The goal was to reach 1) at least a few people who are already thinking about transit networks and 2) hopefully a few others who had never stopped to think about transit as a legitimate travel option. I really appreciate seeing some "Category 1 interaction" here and on twitter (...despite the flaws of that platform).

I am less confident that I made a dent into Category 2. I wonder if those folks are just not interested enough to say something. Or maybe the "Toronto gets everything; buses are for losers" sentiments are too strong to be penetrated by a single dissenting blog post from a Niagara ex-pat?

In my years of experience, I find it funny that there are people who will drive to a further GO station to where the train originates, but not use the closer GO station that has the bus train-meet connection. These are often the same people who will demand a shuttle bus when there is some sort of train service disruption.

I mean, which tourists are we referring to?

Here in Kitchener, I'd say that 20-30% of all Thursday/Friday traffic on (former) 6:47 and 7:10 trains were people going to Toronto for a day trip (especially if there was a school PA day or a holiday or whatnot). Obviously it makes no sense for Toronto tourists to go to Niagara Falls so late at night, but it might make sense for some people in Niagara Falls to visit Toronto by taking the GO train. Like the 401, the QEW is a nightmare to drive on especially during rush hours, so avoiding driving or taking a bus that requires the use of extremely congested routes may make more sense to some people.

The morning VIA/Amtrak train to Niagara Falls is usually quite cheap (Escape fare) as it never fills up, especially with the summer/Thanksgiving weekend GO train service (the afternoon return is less useful as it's more prone to delays through the US and at the border). It's a shame the morning VIA train from Niagara/evening return to Niagara was cut -- that was a much faster and more comfortable ride, though it lacked that all-important stop in central Hamilton..

Is this true? Is Metrolinx robbing Peter to pay Paul?
@DolyBegum (MPP for Scarborough Southwest )
Metrolinx has removed two cars from the 7:36am GO train from Pickering to Union. Commuters on this line had already expressed concerns about overcrowding before the cut. As you can see, the service is now jam-packed.
train.png

Last edited:
It is likely true and done in the name of "efficiency". Why have 12 cars if you can cram the same amount of people in 10. Saves money on fuel and you bring in the same revenue.
What I meant to ask was did those two new cars added to the rush-hour Kitchener line train last week come by pulling two cars off a Lakeshore East train? Sure, one trip is in the morning, the other is the afternoon, but I know train cars can't magically move around to different trains on different lines very fast. Did they take two from the Lakeshore East line and shove them onto trains for the Kitchener line with the hope that a PR problem would go away, but then they actually created a new one?

Back