News   Apr 22, 2024
 802     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 268     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 680     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Aldershot will only get a single train an hour outbound from union in the morning rush? That's less service than today.

Interesting to see express services on every RER line.

Also interesting to see a "super express" service from Confederation GO is the off peak hours, but not on the peak hour. Wonder what the travel time for that service would be.

Also, holy crap at the Stouffville line frequencies. Unionville will see a train every 5.5 minutes during peak!

Another interesting thing is that it discusses travel time savings from the program, which can be particularly interesting.

For example, Burlington will go from a 56 minute peak travel time and 62 minute off peak travel time to Union today to 45 minutes all day long.

Downtown Brampton continues to be forgotten, much like all those houses Metrolinx bought and boarded up. Why has Metrolinx given up completely on getting any improvements in past Bramalea? Why spend all that money on rail capacity improvements between Bramalea and Georgetown? Why not work on a third track at Brampton Station as a mid-term solution?

Downtown Brampton continues to be forgotten, much like all those houses Metrolinx bought and boarded up. Why has Metrolinx given up completely on getting any improvements in past Bramalea? Why spend all that money on rail capacity improvements between Bramalea and Georgetown? Why not work on a third track at Brampton Station as a mid-term solution?

One word: CN.

They own the lines there. Metrolinx has to pay them to install a third track, and there was an audit and issue about this, something that Metrolinx dare not repeat under the current political administration.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/ontario...-rail-of-overcharging-transit-agency-1.620439

I wouldn't be surprised if Brampton and Aldershot see higher service levels than what is shown in the business case - it is just so dependent on CN negotiations that Metrolinx likely left it out of the business case analysis.

You may notice that there isn't even weekend service to Mount Pleasant in the business case - it looks like they largely just took existing service levels and didn't expand them at all. In reality Metrolinx is trying to increase services, but likely doesn't want to make any promises until they know they can do it.

Brampton is probably the community that needs the rail service more then anyone else. Metrolinx needs to show that they're committed to transit outside of Lake Ontario and York Region. I'm happy for Newmarket, Bradford and Barrie. That needed to be corrected.

Again...

Stouffville Line passengers: There was a fatality involving a passenger by the Agincourt GO Station. As a result, train service has been temporarily suspended. GO Shuttle bus service is provided in both directions from Unionville and Milliken GO and then express to Union Station. Passengers at Agincourt and Kennedy GO Stations may use their tickets/passes to board the TTC at staffed entrances at Scarborough Town Centre and Kennedy Subway. We appreciate your patience and will provide updates along the way.

I just noticed that express service is planned for the Stouffville line during peak times. I believe this is the first time we've ever seen this proposed. Great news!

I wouldn't be surprised if Brampton and Aldershot see higher service levels than what is shown in the business case -
Having lived in Brampton nearly my whole life.....we are often surprised by the actual level of provincial services compared to the promised level......but not positively ;)

York University GO will cease to exist (thank goodness).
Also, it's interesting to note that Metrolinx is ignoring the so-called "SmartTrack" stations, as if those will be served by a separate service? come on..

I think that their omission is because it is considered as part of a separate project and not in the GO Expansion/Rapid Rail business case. But yes, it won't be a separate service. The document also mentions the transit oriented development that the PCs have been pushing, which will delay new stations, so I think it is good they've been omitted.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brampton and Aldershot see higher service levels than what is shown in the business case - it is just so dependent on CN negotiations that Metrolinx likely left it out of the business case analysis.
Currently, Aldershot parking is full any time after about 7:30 am. Additional parking has been promised, and once that is installed, usage will likely rise accordingly. As well, building is moving at a fast clip in Waterdown, and a lot of Aldershot GO riders come from there. Many people just go to Burlington because of the parking situation so it's difficult to get a true picture.

Currently, Aldershot parking is full any time after about 7:30 am. Additional parking has been promised, and once that is installed, usage will likely rise accordingly. As well, building is moving at a fast clip in Waterdown, and a lot of Aldershot GO riders come from there. Many people just go to Burlington because of the parking situation so it's difficult to get a true picture.
It looks like there is room to extend GO track to Aldershot, but assuming that any extra track work is dependent on a possible future of expanding to West Harbour GO.
One word: CN.

They own the lines there. Metrolinx has to pay them to install a third track, and there was an audit and issue about this, something that Metrolinx dare not repeat under the current political administration.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/ontario...-rail-of-overcharging-transit-agency-1.620439
Metrolinx is also in negotiations to create a rail bypass for CN
25109-87426.png

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/02/missing-link-shaping-future-gtha-rail-network

I think that their omission is because it is considered as part of a separate project and not in the GO Expansion/Rapid Rail business case. But yes, it won't be a separate service. The document also mentions the transit oriented development that the PCs have been pushing, which will delay new stations, so I think it is good they've been omitted.
Actually seems like this is a theme throughout the report. No mention of any of the infill stations that Metrolinx is planning, or of the Bowmanville extension on Lakeshore East.

Actually seems like this is a theme throughout the report. No mention of any of the infill stations that Metrolinx is planning, or of the Bowmanville extension on Lakeshore East.

Agreed. It's a very linear projection outwards. Like asher_jo mentioned, it doesn't assume a Missing Link of any kind, nor does it assume successful negtotiations on pretty much any freight front. It d

Back