News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 432     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Union-Mimico deadheads might get more use depending on TTC adding runs on 176?
Totally agreed. Unless they are met with a number of buses and routes, it's virtually a trip to nowhere save for a few lucky souls who work locally. Doubtless it will benefit a few, but at what cost to that delayed packed train behind them that needs that slot to get to points much further down the line? And by doing so, the following late train not only stays closer to the timetable, but so do all the following trains.

As a deadhead, the now revenue train could be sidetracked and wait for an unused slot to become available. The only persons late would be the crew, and that's part of the job.

Penny wise, and pound foolish as is for a number of the added runs. It's a political move, not an operational one in many cases. "See, we expanded service, aren't we great?"

Last edited:
^ Some of them do make sense, some don't, like the 'revenue runs' from Union to Mimico which are obviously former deadheads back to the yard. How many passengers is that going to carry? And at what cost to the loss of needed flexibility to keep the rest of the timetable padded to adjust for late running?

It looks good on paper, but spites the nose to flatter the face.

Well, if you compare the number of trains that still make the equipment move unscheduled to/from Mimico versus the number that have been restated as revenue runs, the change is token. Arguably, it’s windowdressing with little prospect of business development I agree .... but it doesn’t have to sell that many tickets to be worth the minimal effort.

Some years back , before the service inprovements, I did the reverse commute from Humber Bay to Pickering. My office was within sight of Pickering GO, but the limited number of counter flow trains, along with Durham Transit’s minimal headways, made use of GO uncompetitive to auto commuting. I wasn’t the only one... I’m convinced there is a market for the new LS counterflow expresses.

- Paul

I'm surprised no one has posted about the cuts to Stouffville service:

Starting Friday, October 26, buses will replace some evening trains between Union Station and Unionville GO. The last Stouffville line train leaving Union Station will be at 8:30 pm. The last train leaving Unionville is at 9:01 pm.

Northbound trains:
. The 9:40 pm train will be replaced by 3 buses leaving the Union Station Bus Terminal at 9:40, 9:45 and 9:50 pm, and will run express to Unionville.
. The 10:30 pm train will be replaced by 3 buses leaving the Union Station Bus Terminal at 10:30 and 10:40 pm, running express to Unionville and at 10:35 pm running express to Unionville and then all stops to

Lincolnville.
. There will be a train operating all stops from Unionville GO to Lincolnville GO departing at 11:09 pm.

Southbound trains:
. The 10:11 pm train leaving Unionville GO will be replaced by a bus running express to Union departing at 10:20 pm.
. The 11:01 pm train leaving Unionville GO will be replaced by a bus running express to Union departing at 11:10 pm.

Passengers needing to access Kennedy, Agincourt or Milliken can use their GO fare on the TTC.

Replacement buses will board at platform 47 at the Union Station Bus Terminal and PRESTO users can tap on at the bus for their trip.

We know that service adjustments can be inconvenient, and we appreciate your patience while we make important upgrades to the track.

LOL those late evening trains are ghost trains anyways. Maybe that is why it does not stir too much concern.

GO and York have announced that GO buses will stop serving York University in January, and will all service Highway 407 station instead. Which will make GO connections more convenient, for those not trying to get to campus.

1541524015990.png

See https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-planning/go-service-updates/york-university-service and http://transportation.info.yorku.ca/

Given the gridlock I've seen on Keele during rush-hour, I'd think that this wouldn't add any additional travel time. But I can see that those who take late-night buses out of York U are going to be unhappy.

From the noise I see on Twitter, the world is ending ...

Email from YorkU:

Capture.PNG

Yes, Keele is an absolute bitch in rush hour. It takes 10 minutes to get off the 407 and another five to get to Steeles.

Yes, Keele is an absolute bitch in rush hour. It takes 10 minutes to get off the 407 and another five to get to Steeles.
It must have improved. I had a 9 AM meeting once at Steeles and Keele. It was 8:15 AM as I pulled onto the 407 westbound ramps seeing my destination in the distance. I was going to stop for coffee and meet some co-workers at Tim Horton's around 8:15, before we headed over. At around 8:35 I was still stuck on Keele (after having spent an eternity on the 407 ramp), I realised there was no point stopping. Pulled into the parking lot at Steeles around 8:45. About 15 minutes from 401/404 to the 407 exit ramp to Keele. And 30 minutes to go from the ramp to Steeles.

Still, I can see that late at night, the current 12-minute direct trip on the GO 54 bus from the York Commons to Richmond Hill Centre is going to take a lot longer, and be more subject to subway irregularities. Ignoring the walk down into the depth of York University station, Google Maps says it's a 22-minute trip, with a 10:28 pm departure from York University station, connecting to a 10:40 pm GO Bus that takes 10 minutes, arriving at 10:50 pm - compare to the direct GO Bus that departs York at 10:10 or 11:10 pm arriving 10:22 or 11:22 pm at Richmond Hill Centre.

^ I believe it starts construction next year. It will still bottleneck a little bit at Steeles however since Toronto has no plans to widen Keele south of Steeles.

In my experience, Keele is free flowing south of Steeles SB in the AM. The one bottleneck on Keele is south of Steeles NB in the PM peak. NB Keele south of Steeles could use another lane.

^ I believe it starts construction next year. It will still bottleneck a little bit at Steeles however since Toronto has no plans to widen Keele south of Steeles.
In my experience, Keele is free flowing south of Steeles SB in the AM. The one bottleneck on Keele is south of Steeles NB in the PM peak. NB Keele south of Steeles could use another lane.

*cough* INDUCED DEMAND *cough*

Back