News   Jul 29, 2024
 485     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 157     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 563     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Yes, they go through Union and usually become Lakeshore West trains. I have more than once done Oshawa to Aldershot and vice versa without switching trains. Sometimes they don’t carry on through, but there is always an announcement.
I don't think its advertised as through service, but the few times I have been on it, it always ran through.

But we are led to believe by some that you can fit UP/15 minute GO ReR/HSR/and VIA in that corridor?

Which corridor are we discussing now? (Confused)

- Weston-Kitchener will be fine once the fourth track and tunnel (now under procurement) is added.
- Oakville has four tracks from Canpa eastwards. Fourth track west of Canpa will have to be added at some point, at least in segments, before Hamilton express + RER + VIA can run as fully as planned. Requires EA and procurement. ML is hot/cold about adding a fifth track west of Union.
- Canpa-Union via Galt sub is capacity constrained. The block spacing on the single track between Strachan and Dupont does not permit the same headways as the Weston Sub. (Wonder when/if they will convert to the new signalling, which is already roughed in for the Galt sub but not turned on) West of Dupont, block spacing is only a little better. Canpa Sub itself is Rule 105 territory, meaning trains operate at slow speed only, but can run fairly close to each other.

- Paul

Yes, they go through Union and usually become Lakeshore West trains. I have more than once done Oshawa to Aldershot and vice versa without switching trains. Sometimes they don’t carry on through, but there is always an announcement.
And this deafie has had the unfortunate 3 hour one-seat ride to Aldershot.

(I can't hear announcements, and I use vibrating phone/smartwatch to wake me)

Exhausted one evening at Union, I accidentally boarded a Lakeshore East train (instead of LW) and fell asleep. Did not wake up until I was almost to Oshawa. I decided to just keep napping another 2 hours (with a brief wakeup to verify it was a through train at Union), and I was almost at Aldershot.

Most of the LW/LE trains bounce back and fourth between Aldershot and Oshawa.

^someone explained that the reason UP trains need to be cut back to 1/2 hourly is because sharing the corridor with LSW trains (that are reduced to hourly) is not possible due to fortified congestion.

Canpa Sub itself is Rule 105 territory, meaning trains operate at slow speed only, but can run fairly close to each other.

- Paul

Did CP remove the signals before they sold it to Metrolinx? I thought for sure I remember seeing signals from the QEW/Gardiner when crossing over Canpa. I just can't recall if they were on the south side or north.

Did CP remove the signals before they sold it to Metrolinx? I thought for sure I remember seeing signals from the QEW/Gardiner when crossing over Canpa. I just can't recall if they were on the south side or north.

The approach signal for the west track to the Canpa interlocking was always visible looking southwards from the QEW. It was torn out a few years ago. It only functioned to give an advance indication of the home signal at Canpa, but was not a "block" signal per se. There was a similar signal governing northward moves on the east track towards Obico, I'm not sure if it's still there or not.

- Paul

^someone explained that the reason UP trains need to be cut back to 1/2 hourly is because sharing the corridor with LSW trains (that are reduced to hourly) is not possible due to fortified congestion.

There is tons of capacity on the line and with the signalling system the way it is. The only place where there will be conflicts is at Strachan/Bathurst, and even that can be quite easily mitigated with smart dispatching and a wee bit of planning.

I suspect that the reason why they need to cut back the UPX to half-hourly is because GO does not have enough crews trained on the Galt and Canpa Subs, and thus those crews will need to have pilots which do know those territories. As well, the VIA trains to Windsor will also need pilots for this same reason.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There is tons of capacity on the line and with the signalling system the way it is. The only place where there will be conflicts is at Strachan/Bathurst, and even that can be quite easily mitigated with smart dispatching and a wee bit of planning.
This exercise might prove very valuable. I trust you are correct, and this will show just how underutilized the corridor's potential is, at least on that part of the leg. Given a good chunk of it will be on ex and present CP track, but none-the-less, if planned and executed well, this could be a God-send in demonstrating the potential for corridor north of the CP midtown tracks too, even with the pathings presently available.

Canpa, although a separate 'test' of its own, will also prove interesting. I suspect it's the weakest link, and hopefully won't mar what the Georgetown section can do.

lol...they should be charging extra for the rides! This is one trip that gets the 'spotter' gene tingling.

I suspect that the reason why they need to cut back the UPX to half-hourly is because GO does not have enough crews trained on the Galt and Canpa Subs, and thus those crews will need to have pilots which do know those territories. As well, the VIA trains to Windsor will also need pilots for this same reason.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Seems a more reasonable explanation.....thnx

Anytime I've ridden it in the evening, or on weekends, and it doesn't carry through, it's simply a case of getting off the train at Union, walking 10 feet across the platform, and boarding the train on the adjacent tracks. An equipment change.

There's some rush-hour trains that terminate at Union - and maybe a couple of rush-hour trains that turn from local to express at Union.

But it's an excellent way to get to TFC (or Argos) games from Lakeshore East stations!

So Whitby yard went on line today and the 7.03 from Oshawa never got there because of a “radio communication issue”? Lots of unhappy customers out there on the tweet machine.

^ what changed operationally? The trains that normally were parked at Whitby on the siding to the west of the station are now stored in the new yard?

^ what changed operationally? The trains that normally were parked at Whitby on the siding to the west of the station are now stored in the new yard?

For both those 3 trains, and the 2 trains that layover on the platform at Oshawa, yes.

There are a couple of trains that deadhead to Oshawa from Willowbrook in the morning and back in the evening. I suspect that they will shift those over to the new facility in the coming weeks.

As an aside, they began testing the 15 minute mid-day service yesterday, and apparently things ran surprisingly well. They plan on doing so for the next couple of days to see how it deals with delays.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

As an aside, they began testing the 15 minute mid-day service yesterday, and apparently things ran surprisingly well. They plan on doing so for the next couple of days to see how it deals with delays.
Great to hear!

Testing 15min with those deadheading trains that are going to the new Whitby facility anyway?

Doors staying closed or opening to passengers? Or actually boardable as "surprise extra" GO trains in revenue service (not visible in timetables but are boardable)

Doors staying closed or opening to passengers? Or actually boardable as "surprise extra" GO trains in revenue service (not visible in timetables but are boardable)
The trains are operating on a set schedule for a 15 minute operation. They arrive at the station, sit for their scheduled dwell time, then depart at the scheduled time without opening doors, or transporting passengers. Guess you can call them Ghost trains, lol

Back