News   Jul 19, 2024
 350     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 630     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

info on the RH GO Extension...
http://www.york.ca/NR/rdonlyres/rp5...qtv2lke7ydohdngv3zfgs4tiwg/Sep+9+Richmond.pdf

The Richmond Hill Layover Facility Environmental Assessment (EA) and Preliminary
Design study has recommended a layover facility at Bethesda Road and two new GO
stations located at Stouffville Road and Bloomington Road. GO Transit has filed an
Environmental Assessment Report (ESR) for a minimum 45 day review period. Regional
staff recommends that Council endorse the recommendations of the GO Transit study.
The extension of the Richmond Hill GO Rail line, new facilities and station
improvements will move the Region further towards achieving the goals of sustainable
transportation

Ehh, I dunno if I'd really put this as a priority. I'd much rather them focus on improving track on the current line, getting it ready to be a N-S express. I think that's much more worthy of extending it to Georgina.

It might be sensible to have a station at Stouffville Road or Bloomington Road but it makes little sense to have both. This is the middle of the Oak Ridge Moraine and Green Belt. One station with 404 access should be more than enough.

That report says that GO is recommending that only the Stouffville road station be built and the Bloomington station be delayed until Stouffville reaches capacity.

That report says that GO is recommending that only the Stouffville road station be built and the Bloomington station be delayed until Stouffville reaches capacity.

The capacity of Stouffville 404 station would be whatever they arbitrarily decide to make it considering it is surrounded by open land and there is no limit to the size of the parking structure they create. Spreading growth from one station to two stations in the greenbelt, to avoid the cost of building upwards, would be sprawl which is exactly what the legislation is meant to prevent.

Waterloo Region staff report on GO Transit extension recommending endorsement of GO plans

Contains some Cambridge GO news

i) Cambridge to GTA Rail Passenger Feasibility Study
The Region has initiated a study to determine the feasibility of providing rail passenger service
between Cambridge and the GTA. The consultant has completed the first phase of the study in
which they considered two routing options, one through Guelph, and the other through Milton. The
first phase is complete and it was concluded that the Cambridge to GTA option through Milton was
the preferred strategy primarily due to the potential for significantly higher ridership in this corridor.
The next phase of the study involves a more detailed assessment of this corridor and preparation of
a high level business case to support rail passenger service to Cambridge. The study is nearing
completion and a report will be prepared for Committee in October.
GO Transit has indicated to Metrolinx that they are planning to initiate a Feasibility Study for this
corridor in 2011 and an Environmental Assessment Study in 2012 and 2013. The Union Station to
Milton Environmental Assessment Study has been initiated and increased capacity in this corridor is
critical to the future expansion of GO Rail service to Cambridge.

On the Kitchener-Toronto service it says:

"that service could begin in the corridor as soon as 2011. Opening-day would consist of four eastbound trains in the morning and four westbound trains in the evening. In the future it is anticipated that ridership demand in the corridor will support seven days per week, bidirectional service with 20 minute train headways".

I'd hoped that opening day service would put at least one train heading into Kitchener in the AM rush. There's quite a lot of people who commute into Kitchener from Guelph, and points further east.

so when the Brampton construction is complete, we could really start to see more trains on that route??

Really adding two more trains between 4pm-5:30pm would be a real help...

I remember three years ago the 4-5 pm trains were about 80% or so capacity, now its 105-110% on the 4:15 and near 100% on the 4:45 and well the 5:15 is something I avoid...

The morning situation is okay, maybe another train between around 7:45...

Last edited:
Contains some Cambridge GO news

i) Cambridge to GTA Rail Passenger Feasibility Study
The Region has initiated a study to determine the feasibility of providing rail passenger service
between Cambridge and the GTA. The consultant has completed the first phase of the study in
which they considered two routing options, one through Guelph, and the other through Milton. The
first phase is complete and it was concluded that the Cambridge to GTA option through Milton was
the preferred strategy primarily due to the potential for significantly higher ridership in this corridor.
The next phase of the study involves a more detailed assessment of this corridor and preparation of
a high level business case to support rail passenger service to Cambridge. The study is nearing
completion and a report will be prepared for Committee in October.
GO Transit has indicated to Metrolinx that they are planning to initiate a Feasibility Study for this
corridor in 2011 and an Environmental Assessment Study in 2012 and 2013. The Union Station to
Milton Environmental Assessment Study has been initiated and increased capacity in this corridor is
critical to the future expansion of GO Rail service to Cambridge.
I think it would have been acceptable to start that post with "Good News Everyone!"

Unfortunately, extending Milton to Cambridge is just going to put more pressure on the Milton line, which seems under a lot of strain to keep up with the limitations that CP has imposed on it. It is an area that should get Go service, however.

In terms of Georgetown-Kitchener though... I'm really not sure about this. I think that it might make more sense to just improve VIA service and get a good Rush Hour route/deal going. They're going to need to make an express route anyways, so I'm really not sure what the advantage to using Go would be. Go might end up putting more pressure and higher capacity for the line, but it'd take considerably more resources for Go to start it up rather than VIA improve service.

But someone's gotta do it, and Go definitely has more motivation to do so.

Unfortunately, extending Milton to Cambridge is just going to put more pressure on the Milton line, which seems under a lot of strain to keep up with the limitations that CP has imposed on it. It is an area that should get Go service, however.

By the time the Cambridge extension service comes online the Milton to Union upgrades would have long been in service and the limitations CP has would have long been overcome.

Just as a note, VIA trains are expected to double to six trains a day once GO service is introduced. With track improvements and the VIA/GO pass i expect the trip from Kitchener to Toronto to be incredibly doable.

Back