News   Jul 19, 2024
 348     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 629     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I really hope they go with the Milton line to Cambridge, instead of the Georgetown line.

As for the Milton line upgrades, what is the fly under at Humber River?

They'll probably go with both. The Georgetown line will be more of a 'travel to Toronto' line while Milton will be more of a traditional commuter line for the time being.

I hope they put a stop where the Milton line meets Highway 6. The commuters they'd get from that station would be incredible.

I really hope they go with the Milton line to Cambridge, instead of the Georgetown line.

As for the Milton line upgrades, what is the fly under at Humber River?

I think we need both, but that's besides the point.

The fly-under at the Humber River will allow GO trains move from the southern mainlines (union station-bound) to the northern mainlines (Kipling-bound) without being delayed by slow-moving trains entering Lambton Yard.

Construction is about to start on the fly under at Spadina for the 3rd track. Work will take place on the west side for building a new north retaining wall and then move to the east side.

IMG_sept-05-090424.jpg

The capacity of Stouffville 404 station would be whatever they arbitrarily decide to make it considering it is surrounded by open land and there is no limit to the size of the parking structure they create. Spreading growth from one station to two stations in the greenbelt, to avoid the cost of building upwards, would be sprawl which is exactly what the legislation is meant to prevent.

Whoa, man, I can't agree with this at all.

Yes, the current model of oceanic asphalt GO parking lots is not hunky dory from an environmental or urban planning standpoint. The model needs to change, particularly in the more dense locations.

But lets get a sense of scale, here. Totalling up GO parking lots as if they're making a significant dent in the total volume of arable land in the Greenbelt is lunacy. You could quadruple the paved footprint of every GO parking lot on the system and you'd still probably eat up less arable land than a typical new golf course. Since /Places to Grow/, every GO EA taking place in Greenbelt lands has been obliged to consider agricultural usefulness of greenfield parcels no differently than it might look at the natural heritage value of woodlots or riparian areas, and tilt the site selection accordingly. That's why the Baden station on the Kitchener extension---which pretty had to be greenfield---is nonetheless going to be built on a former fertilizer storage site, IIRC. Considering the report mentions how the Stouffville Road (Gormley) site is mostly owned by the City of Richmond Hill, it sounds like they probably not eating into prime farmland there, either.

It would sheer financial insanity to spend money on a Burlington/Pickering-style parking structure at Gormley, if and when they max out the surface parking capacity on the station's parcel of land. You could get two new stations with surface parking closer to commuter driveways at a similar cost.

Not only that, but I'd seriously question whether paving 5 more acres would be a greater evil environmentally than building up... you're talking about diverting ~$100m from other transit service improvements and pumping who knows how many tonnes of CO2 to make the necessary thousands of tonnes of concrete while not removing a single vehicle-kilometre from the 404.

In any event, this might be rather moot as I wonder if there're really all that many additional passengers to gather as you push further north alongside the 404 beyond Gormley. Aurora, Newmarket, Sharon and so on ought to be adequately served by Barrie line trains through the existing stations. And if they build the layover at Bethesda Road, a Bloomington Road station would come with an operational handicap, as trains would have to deadhead northbound in the morning before reversing for the run south.

When they say 'fly under at the Humber River'. Where exactly would it go? Near the CP bridge over the Humber River? Would it be two tracks or one?

When they say 'fly under at the Humber River'. Where exactly would it go? Near the CP bridge over the Humber River? Would it be two tracks or one?

I have to say the name is conjuring up visions of a skewed lower bridge between the river and freight tracks, but I have no idea if that would be any more effective an approach than a Spadina flyunder-style structure on terra firma. Certainly a more visually noteworthy one.

Last edited:
I have to say the name is conjuring up visions of a skewed lower bridge between the river and freight tracks, but I have no idea if that would be any more effective an approach than a Spadina flyunder-style structure on terra firma. Certainly a more visually noteworthy one.

Er, scratch that idea. Just had a look at a photo and there's no way you're threading a lower bridge between those piers at anything approaching a mildly-skewed angle.

If the plan is for a Spadina-type structure, I suppose it could go anywhere between Kipling and Lambton yard. I suppose the "Humber River" element comes into play because there's a three-to-two-to-three track bottleneck there, and it makes sense to combine a project to relieve this with one to facilitate grade-sepped movement from the north side tracks to the south side tracks and vice versa.

Last edited:
Whoa, man, I can't agree with this at all.

Yes, the current model of oceanic asphalt GO parking lots is not hunky dory from an environmental or urban planning standpoint. The model needs to change, particularly in the more dense locations.

But lets get a sense of scale, here. Totalling up GO parking lots as if they're making a significant dent in the total volume of arable land in the Greenbelt is lunacy. You could quadruple the paved footprint of every GO parking lot on the system and you'd still probably eat up less arable land than a typical new golf course.

My point is that there is no capacity limit to a station at Stouffville Road. The province could build a parking lot 500m by 500m there (250m on each side of the tracks) and the maximum walk would be 250m. To need a station to be build in the woodlot and ravine area of Bloomington Road and 404 due to capacity limitations at Stouffville Road makes no sense because there are no restrictions on size at Stoffville Road.

As far as environmental concerns I would ask if it wouldn't make more sense to build parking lots in the Oak Ridges moraine with gravel. Golf courses aren't a problem if they lay off the fertilizer.

My point is that there is no capacity limit to a station at Stouffville Road. The province could build a parking lot 500m by 500m there (250m on each side of the tracks) and the maximum walk would be 250m. To need a station to be build in the woodlot and ravine area of Bloomington Road and 404 due to capacity limitations at Stouffville Road makes no sense because there are no restrictions on size at Stoffville Road.

As far as environmental concerns I would ask if it wouldn't make more sense to build parking lots in the Oak Ridges moraine with gravel. Golf courses aren't a problem if they lay off the fertilizer.

OK, fair enough. It was your use of the word 'structure' that threw my mind into the world of hulking concrete monstrosities, mostly. And you're quite correct in pointing out that the primary land use concern about the Oak Ridges Moraine isn't as much preserving farmland as hydrology-related.

IMO before the extension even opens they should rename the line to something a bit more terminus-independent. Having the poor line go through life as the Richmond Hill/Gormley/Bloomington/Vandorf with each potential extension would be silly. Maybe the "Don River line"?

IMO before the extension even opens they should rename the line to something a bit more terminus-independent. Having the poor line go through life as the Richmond Hill/Gormley/Bloomington/Vandorf with each potential extension would be silly. Maybe the "Don River line"?

How about the original railways?

Canadian Northern, Toronto & Nipissing, Credit Valley, Grand Trunk, etc.

I think I'd just leave it the way it is. I might change the names so they're a bit more representative of what they're serving though. Milton Line > Mississauga Line, Georgetown Line > Brampton Line, Stouffville Line > Scarborough-Markham Line.

Not sure where this fits.....

....but perhaps it is a "GO Service Improvement"....

...I subscribe to their email service where they send you a message if there are service disruptions, cancellations, changes, etc.

This morning I got this one:

"The Bramalea 09:20 - Union 09:53 train trip departed Bramalea on time. "

Things must be bad when you are sending notices when trains actually leave on time!!!! ;)

Back