News   Jul 19, 2024
 311     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 593     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

System updates;

- GO is very close to acquiring the remaining portion of the Newmarket sub/Barrie line (that they do not already own - mile 3.0 to mile 12.9) as was done with the Weston. Negotiations are ongoing in the acquisition of the Kingston sub (to Durham Jct - Pickering) and a portion of the Oakville sub.
GO is very keen on owning the tracks that they frequently operate on.

I’ve detailed what lines they can and can’t purchase in this post: http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showpost.php?p=279079&postcount=104
No word on the Bala sub/Richmond Hill Line. Then again service increases on that line won’t be possible until a grade separation is complete at Doncaster (where the line crosses CN’s double track East-West mainline). It will be several years before the whole process for that upgrade is completed.

- All day service on the Barrie & Stouffville lines is to begin next year. Passing tracks are being constructed on both lines.

The passing track on the Stouffville line is located at approximately the half-way point(time wise) between Stouffville & Union. Possibly meaning that the all-day service will extend to Stouffville. In any case with only a single passing track and having it at this location, the line will not be able to operate at hourly frequencies. I’d have to assume that this is only the first step in the eventually double tracking of most of the line.

It appears that the line in the area of the track will be upgraded to CTC (signaled track) which would eliminate some major deficiencies in regards to the all-day service (http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showpost.php?p=263175&postcount=24). The installation of fiber optic cables and electric switches is evidence of this.

- Because of the success of the weekend Niagara train, weekday service to St. Catherines is likely to start sooner than expected. City officials are very pleased with the service. GO expected the Niagara service to do very well but the number of passengers from St. Catherine’s itself has well exceeded their expectations. Bus connections would be in place to Niagara. The reason why the weekday train service wouldn’t extend to Niagara is probably due to delays caused by the Welland cannel crossing and bus connections would be a way to avoid these delays which can easily be 20-30 minutes long at times. On the bus you’d be in Niagara by then.

I’m not sure exactly how the cannel crossing system works. I’m assuming it works in a more first come first serve kind of basis and unlike trains ships don’t run on a concrete schedule. I’d say that because GO isn’t aware of when a ship may interfere with its scheduled trains until right before the meet happens.

Lakeshore line, East to West.

Oshawa - only current improvement is the creation more of accessible parking spots

Whitby - south lot parking garage is well under construction and appears to be on schedule for the intended completion date in December
- construction hasn’t begin yet on a new bridge structure from the new parking garage to the platforms
- henry street layover station, track work underway, upon completion will add a 3rd train to the storage yard, unknown if this will effect any future train scheduling

Ajax - pre-construction work on the 2nd pedestrian tunnel has begun

Scarborough - station upgrades nearing completion (finally!)

Union station corridor - removal of slower speed (15mph) track crossovers in progress
- new higher speed crossovers in use (30mph current, up to 45mph the in future)

Exhibition - current work being undertaken near the station is to rectify a drainage problem. This problem has for years been responsible for frozen switches and has prevent the use of the Dufferin signal plant (west of the Ex) equipped with 45mph crossovers. Trains crossing tracks are forced to use the Fort York signal plant to cross over (East of the Ex), which is only equipped with 15mph crossovers.

Mimico East signal plant (east of Mimico GO station) - will to relocated east of current location in the near future, 15 mph crossovers will be replaced with 45mph crossovers at this location.

Willowbrook yard - GO is aggressively pursing property acquisition along Judson st. for yard expansion. Several properties have already been acquired, on both sides of Islington Ave.

Port Credit to Kerr st.
- grading work continues for the future 3rd track
- Port Credit signal plant relocation in progress to a position west of its current location
- Clarkson, 2nd tunnel to be installed shortly
- 9th line signal plant, new 45mph crossovers in place, 15mph crossovers to be removed shortly
- Oakville yard signal plant, new 45mph crossover in place for the current 3rd track(will be re-designated as the 4th track in the future). Trains can't take advantage of this increased speed until the new 3rd track is in place
- Kerr st. signal plant reconstruction now in progress

Appleby - station work continues, 2nd tunnel is already in place

Burlington - work has yet to start on new pedestrian bridge from the parking structure

The passing track on the Stouffville line is located at approximately the half-way point(time wise) between Stouffville & Union. Possibly meaning that the all-day service will extend to Stouffville. In any case with only a single passing track and having it at this location, the line will not be able to operate at hourly frequencies. I’d have to assume that this is only the first step in the eventually double tracking of most of the line.

Forgive my ignorance, but why wouldn't this allow for hourly service? The trip from where the Stouffville line branches off of Lakeshore East to the single track to Unionville would be pretty quick with no stops and if it waited at Unionville for the train coming South to pass it, it seems like hourly service would be achievable.

Anyways, thanks for posting all this info.

I would like the thoughts of some people here who, clearly, know more about trains and transit and such than I do. It is an idea that I had on the Ontario Northland train that I took to cottage country last week.

I wonder if there is any way to use GO Transit to get people to Barrie and then have them switch to the Nortland train in Barrie. I took the ON train to Huntsville and roughly half of that scheduled 3 hour trip takes place within the GTA. If the Northland only came as far south as Barrie, is it possible they could run more than one train per day? Would they pick up more GTA riders (some must be put off with the need to go south to Union just to go north again on the train?).

Would it work? Both services are, I believe, owned by the Ontario government...no?

There are currently no rails between Washago, Orillia and Barrie. The Northlander goes by the other side of Lake Simcoe, through Beaverton. I would support re-laying those tracks through.

There are currently no rails between Washago, Orillia and Barrie. The Northlander goes by the other side of Lake Simcoe, through Beaverton. I would support re-laying those tracks through.

Yes...I see that.....maybe they could lay track following Highway 11 (essentially) or use the same idea but use Stouffville (or Markham or Unionville) as the connecting station between GO and Ontario Northland?

They're supposed to start building new platforms at the James St North terminal this fall. Haven't seen or heard any indications this is still happening.

Yes...I see that.....maybe they could lay track following Highway 11 (essentially) or use the same idea but use Stouffville (or Markham or Unionville) as the connecting station between GO and Ontario Northland?

It would have to be somewhere along the Richmond Hill line, and at one point the Northlander did stop at Richmond Hill.

Wow thanks for all that info vegeta_skyline. No news on the Milton line?

Your welcome. Unfortunetly I don't know much about whats going on with the Milton line. I only know so much about the Lakeshore line because thats the line I work on. Milton trains are also run by CP guys, whom I don't see much of so I can't really ask and find out what kind of progress its taking place there on a day to day basis.

Forgive my ignorance, but why wouldn't this allow for hourly service? The trip from where the Stouffville line branches off of Lakeshore East to the single track to Unionville would be pretty quick with no stops and if it waited at Unionville for the train coming South to pass it, it seems like hourly service would be achievable.

Anyways, thanks for posting all this info.

Not a problem.

Its a bit of a long explaination as to why "hourly" service isn't possible, so bare with me.

In short, its because of the scheduling conflicts between the 2 trains due to the location of the meeting point.

It takes between 35 to 38 minutes for a train to go from Unionville to Union and vice versa.

If the line was 2 tracks, then the meeting point would be irrelevant and the schedule would be something akin to this (best-case 35 minute long trip):

Schedule “A”
--------------------------Northbound train / Southbound train
can depart again as soon as-------------------10:51
Arrival at Union-------------------------------10:43
Depart Union-------------------10:08
Kennedy-----------------------10:25---------10:27
Agincourt----------------------10:31---------10:20
Milliken------------------------10:37----------10:14
Unionville----------------------10:43----------10:08

In schedule “A” the meeting point would occur when the northbound train has just left Kennedy and the southbound train is just about to arrive at Kennedy for a service that terminates at Unionville. As you can see there is significant extra time under this scenario.

But because the line is only singled track and the passing track is being built by Unionville the schedule would have to be significantly modified to accommodate that.
(best-case 35 minute long trip)

Schedule “B”
------------------------Northbound train / Southbound train  North train 2
can depart again at---------------------------11:23===========|
Arrival at Union-------------------------------11:15
Depart Union-----------------10:08-----------------------------11:23
Kennedy---------------------10:25-----------10:59-------------11:40
Agincourt--------------------10:32-----------10:52-------------11:47
Milliken----------------------10:38------------10:46------------11:53
The meeting point----------10:42-----------10:42------------11:57
Depart Unionville------------------------------10:40
Arrive at Unionville------------10:44
depart Unionville at-----------11:55

The southbound train cannot leave Unionville until the northbound train has left Milliken – the very next station down the line!
Obviously there is absolutely no other possible time for the meeting point.

The arrival time for the southbound train is, at best, 1 hour and 15 minutes after the previous trains arrival into Union station. Though more realistically it would be about 1 hour and 20 minutes. (variance in schedules and a few more minutes to turn around) Hence ‘hourly’ service is not possible.

Train service can be extended all the way to Stouffville as there is enough time for a train to go that distance and return in time to meet the other train on the passing tracks.
heres an example;

Schedule “C”
-------------------------Northbound train / Southbound train  Northbound train 2 / Southbound train 2
can depart again at----------------------------11:23================|
Arrival at Union-----------------10:00----------11:15--------------------|---------------12:30
Depart Union-------------------10:08---------------------------------11:23
Kennedy-----------------------10:25----------10:59------------------11:40-------------12:14
Agincourt----------------------10:32----------10:52------------------11:47-------------12:07
Milliken-------------------------10:38----------10:46------------------11:53-------------12:01
The meeting point-------------10:42---------10:42------------------11:57-------------11:57
Unionville-----------------------10:44----------10:40------------------11:59-------------11:55
Centennial----------------------10:50----------10:34------------------12:05-------------11:49
Markham-----------------------10:55----------10:29------------------12:10-------------11:44
Mount Joy----------------------10:59----------10:24------------------12:14-------------11:39
Depart Stouffville-------------------------------10:14------------------------------------11:29*
Arrival at Stouffville------------11:08----------------------------------12:23---------------|
Can depart as soon as----------11:16 =========================================|
*(add 13 minutes for crew rest time)

The time in-between station stops is accurate and based on actually GO schedules on the line.

Note: Turnaround time is at a minimal 8 minutes because;
1) after the train is stopped the engineer needs to cut out the controls to the cab/engine (30 secs)
2) he/she must then walk the entire length of the train to the other side of the train while the conductor remains at this end to perform his role in the brake test (3-4 minutes)
3) the engineer then cuts in the controls on the other end (30 seconds)
4) the crew performs the necessary brake test (observation that the brakes are working on the last car on the train
5) this must be done because a) its a transport Canada regulation and more importantly b) its a necessary safety measure, you want to know that the brakes work on your train (30 seconds)
6) lastly after the completion of the brake test the conductor must walk the entire length of the train (3-4 minutes)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot... can you hazard a guess when we'll see more than hourly off peak service on Lakeshore?
Official word has been "by the end of 2010" but I'm certainly curious to find out what vetega_skyline has heard. It doesn't show up on an internal list of projects (from April 2009 to April 2010) that I've seen.

Wouldn't this be possible:

------------- T1--- T2--- T3--- T1--- T2--- T3---
------------- NORTH SOUTH NORTH SOUTH NORTH SOUTH
UNION........ 10:00 11:08 11:00 12:08 12:00 13:08
KENNEDY...... 10:17 10:51 11:17 11:51 12:17 12:51
AGINCOURT.... 10:24 10:44 11:24 11:44 12:24 12:44
MILLIKEN..... 10:30 10:38 11:30 11:38 12:30 12:38
UNIONVILLE... 10:36 10:32 11:36 11:32 12:36 12:32
CENTENNIAL... 10:42 10:26 11:42 11:26 12:42 12:26
MAKRHAM...... 10:47 10:21 11:47 11:21 12:47 12:21
MOUNT JOY.... 10:51 10:16 11:51 11:16 12:51 12:16

Last edited: