News   Jul 15, 2024
 152     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 393     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 540     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Hurontario LRT is going to be 24 hour no?
I haven't seen that in any official documents, and a simple google search yielded no results other than this section of the Hurontario LRT Wikipedia article.
The LRT is planned to run every 5 minutes during rush hours, and every 10 minutes for the rest of the week. Service hours on the LRT corridor is planned to be between 5:00 AM and 1:30 AM Mondays to Saturdays and 7:00 AM to 12:00 AM on Sundays and holidays. Bus service is expected to supplement the remaining hours, making the Hurontario corridor have a 24/7 transit operation.

I haven't seen that in any official documents, and a simple google search yielded no results other than this section of the Hurontario LRT Wikipedia article.
wonder if those are GO buses providing that 24 hour equivalent or if part of the "to be negotiated and signed in the future" operating agreement between ML and the two cities is that they will augment the LRT with city bus service when the LRT is closed?

wonder if those are GO buses providing that 24 hour equivalent or if part of the "to be negotiated and signed in the future" operating agreement between ML and the two cities is that they will augment the LRT with city bus service when the LRT is closed?
It would be at the discretion of the City of Mississauga to provide overnight bus services on Hurontario. Metrolinx/GO Transit has no interest in providing that service, nor would it be practical for them to do so.

Everything I have seen and heard, no 24 hour service for Hurontario LRT at this time, even though it should be now, along with another number of routes. Only would see a single car on the line every 20-30 minutes if there is 7/24 service.

I have call for 7/24 service since 2003 and in one ear, out the other even doing 30 minute headway.

Until GO has equipment to run short EMU after current service hours 7 days a week, you only need buses for a few lines and routes.

GO has hit another car west of Oakville as I type this with service split. Another driver failing to obey the rules of the road and causing trouble for others. The day some of these crossing are grade separated, the better off we will be. Another crew being place on leave by these dumb driver.

Firstly, I don't believe we really need a 24 hour service.....but I have to ask, is times in and out of the garage really the way to measure service hours? Is it not more appropriate to measure based on schedules and when customers actually get service?

The last bus of the night arrives in Hamilton at 04:00, and it heads back to Toronto at 04:15 as the first bus of the next morning.

Yeah, we have 24 hour GO bus service on some routes.

These red-eye buses, as quiet as they are, are still much busier than the 6:05pm GO bus (16 Express) which is scheduled only 5 mins after the last Hamilton-bound GO train. Sometimes the 6:05pm bus #16 has only two persons on it (like yesterday). Yet the next #16 bus after is near full.

Metrolinx is advertising in the pre-show ads at Star Wars in the GTHA.

Incidentally, I saw green bike lanes and bikeshare bikes in a Ford car ad.

Was surprised to see two "smart transportation" ads:

My spouse has tweeted:

9DA34A06-865F-4886-B512-D11BB4CCE483.png

Attachments

• 9DA34A06-865F-4886-B512-D11BB4CCE483.png
    9DA34A06-865F-4886-B512-D11BB4CCE483.png
    528.1 KB · Views: 383
Yes, exactly. Nowhere for trains to pass south of Steeles.

- Paul
Looking closely at the Barrie Go All day service and I notice a large 6 hr gap between 14:00 and 20:00. Is this due to track capacity?

Will sidings acutally fix this problem? There will always be a delay of some sort with them.

Will sidings acutally fix this problem? There will always be a delay of some sort with them.

The plan (and it's the right one) is to have two, and in places maybe three, continuous tracks from end to end.

Even that plan isn't foolproof - sections do get taken out of service for repair - but it's sufficient to reliable run 2WAD service. Then trains in one direction don't have to head in, stop, and wait for trains coming the other way. Each direction has its own track.

Single track lines with sidings do exist for Regional services in other countries, but RER is closer to a 'subway' model than that. The added track is money well spent.

- Paul

Planning my Barrie line commuting options for the new year, I found a discrepancy between the "online schedule" (both via the GO website, as well as Triplinx, Google Maps and 3rd party apps) and the "printed schedule" (the PDF version):

Online, the 7:05 pm NB departure is extended to Barrie. On the printed version, this trip terminates at Bradford (as-is today).

Then I remembered smallspy's comment:

Currently, the first train of the morning from Barrie (and the last of the night) deadheads from (and to) Bradford. There are only 6 active layover spots available at Allandale Yard.

Come December 30th, the seventh spot at Allandale will be active, and thus all of the trains starting at Barrie will be stabled there. This will free up the spots at Bradford for trains to start and end there.

Perhaps they are giving Barrie an 8th trip in the evenings, with a deadhead back to Bradford after the train's 8:45 arrival at Allandale?

EDIT to add: GO's social media team confirms the 7:05 pm departure is unchanged, ending at Bradford (via Twitter).

Last edited:
The plan (and it's the right one) is to have two, and in places maybe three, continuous tracks from end to end.

Even that plan isn't foolproof - sections do get taken out of service for repair - but it's sufficient to reliable run 2WAD service. Then trains in one direction don't have to head in, stop, and wait for trains coming the other way. Each direction has its own track.

Single track lines with sidings do exist for Regional services in other countries, but RER is closer to a 'subway' model than that. The added track is money well spent.

- Paul
Fair enough. I have always thought 4 tracks would be the best option. And sidings will be in by the end of 2018 right? They should be able to fill in the gaps and have late night service after too.

Fair enough. I have always thought 4 tracks would be the best option. And sidings will be in by the end of 2018 right? They should be able to fill in the gaps and have late night service after too.

Sorry. After the just-opened stretch from Rutherford to Steeles, it will be years before the rest is done. Construction won't start til 2019 earliest. What we have on Dec 30 is what we will have to live with for a while.

- Paul

Back