News   Apr 22, 2024
 792     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 267     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 673     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

According to the schedule, run time between Rutherford and Union is 31 minutes with the stop at York U, 29 without. So it costs 2 minutes to the schedule. Doesn't sound like much, but tally on operation costs.

Perhaps they will be measuring ridership post-Downview Park to justify closure. Or they're waiting for the TTC co-fare to kick in. Or they're waiting for a 100% subsidy of the TTC fare. No matter what, I'm not convinced they're keeping it open in the medium term.

I think it's a transitional period. I now expect that York University Station will close, and all GO buses will terminate at Highway 407 Station after the end of the 2017-2018 academic year (either in May, June, or September). That would avoid immediate fallout ahead of the provincial election.

yes. Trains need a spot to pass each other.

There are now passing sidings, but not enough yet to get trains passing through against the peak flow. The second track is needed at Downsview Park, as well as at the Davenport Diamond, to make a minimal counter-peak train service possible.

Building more passing tracks gives Metrolinx the justification too, then, to close down York U station.

You need both Concord and Steeles really. No one who works on Steeles, wants to get of at Concord, or go all the way to Downsview Park and double-back.

I can see why a platform on the north side is problematic, but I don't see why you can't build on the south side.

Would counter-peak service require double tracking?

This schedule appears to utilise one passing point, around Rutherford. That's all that's needed off-peak given 1 hour headways. If you increase the headway, you need more passing points, and these aren't there yet. At peak, there are so many trains running in the peak direction that there isn't anyplace to meet.

Interesting that the 14:40 train terminates at Bradford at 15:49. Either it deadheads back as an equipment move, or more likely it ties up and one of the outbound evening trains deadheads back in the wee hours after its run. Or both - not sure whether 2 trains lay over at Bradford, or only one. Having a train tie up for the day before the evening rush is not optimal, but there's no easy way to get it back to Union before the afternoon fleet gets going. It will sure be great when the line is fully double tracked.

Arrival at Union at :33 is just great for connections to LSE/LSW, but departure at :40 may make it hard to connect directly off LSE/LSW. A half hour layover isn't fatal. I wonder if GO has a target for timing of connections at Union, or if that is even a consideration. In the end state of 15 minute headways on all lines, it probably won't matter.

- Paul

strangely (IMO) they are twitter marketing the new trains as a connection to the new subway station at Downsview Park

https://twitter.com/GOtransit/status/940637950156648448

upload_2017-12-12_14-4-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-12_14-4-8.png
    upload_2017-12-12_14-4-8.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 313
strangely (IMO) they are twitter marketing the new trains as a connection to the new subway station at Downsview Park

Not too surprising when you think about it. The introduction of both services is pure good news, and this kind of publicity gives GO some profile while credit for the TYSSE is going around. Kind of like people working their way into the photo op for the subway ribbon cutting - whether they were actually involved in making it happen or not.

And, in fact, linking up these two services is a really positive step in the growth of our transit network, so why not take all the feel good opportunity you can. Hopefully the connection opens the minds of potential riders north of the city to what new options it might present.

- Paul

I am eager to see what kind of ridership Downsview Park sees as it will be quite dependent on GO-TTC transfers. But I suspect it'll remain somewhat of a ghost town until the airport is redeveloped and Barrie goes to 15 minute frequency.

Haven't they already double tracked York U to Rutherford?

That, and the double-tracking from roughly Maple GO to Kirby Rd, are not nearly sufficient for hourly counter-peak trains during every-30-minute northbound PM peak service, and especially not for every-15-minute southbound AM peak service. The offpeak trains would encounter peak trains much more frequently. As mentioned elsewhere you need at least Downsview Park and the Davenport Diamond, if not the entire length.

I updated my chart tracking Barrie Line frequency over the years:
Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 22.39.43.png

1972: 10 trains per week
(...)
2012: 50 trains per week
2013: 74 trains per week
2014: 86 trains per week
2017: 118 trains per week
2018: 230 trains per week

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 22.39.43.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 22.39.43.png