News   Apr 18, 2024
 207     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Interesting that the 14:40 train terminates at Bradford at 15:49. Either it deadheads back as an equipment move, or more likely it ties up and one of the outbound evening trains deadheads back in the wee hours after its run. Or both - not sure whether 2 trains lay over at Bradford, or only one. Having a train tie up for the day before the evening rush is not optimal, but there's no easy way to get it back to Union before the afternoon fleet gets going. It will sure be great when the line is fully double tracked.

- Paul

There are 3 layover spots at Bradford. 2 have been in use since September.

In 1972, that would have been a CN train on a commuter-friendly schedule. It wasn’t until 1974 that GO’s second line – Georgetown – began operations.

More specifically, it wasn't a GO route until 1982. There were some long distance trains that also used the line and stopped at a couple of stations until the abandonment of the line north of Barrie in 1995.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This schedule appears to utilise one passing point, around Rutherford. That's all that's needed off-peak given 1 hour headways. If you increase the headway, you need more passing points, and these aren't there yet. At peak, there are so many trains running in the peak direction that there isn't anyplace to meet.

Interesting that the 14:40 train terminates at Bradford at 15:49. Either it deadheads back as an equipment move, or more likely it ties up and one of the outbound evening trains deadheads back in the wee hours after its run. Or both - not sure whether 2 trains lay over at Bradford, or only one. Having a train tie up for the day before the evening rush is not optimal, but there's no easy way to get it back to Union before the afternoon fleet gets going. It will sure be great when the line is fully double tracked.

Arrival at Union at :33 is just great for connections to LSE/LSW, but departure at :40 may make it hard to connect directly off LSE/LSW. A half hour layover isn't fatal. I wonder if GO has a target for timing of connections at Union, or if that is even a consideration. In the end state of 15 minute headways on all lines, it probably won't matter.

- Paul
There are now passing sidings, but not enough yet to get trains passing through against the peak flow. The second track is needed at Downsview Park, as well as at the Davenport Diamond, to make a minimal counter-peak train service possible.

Building more passing tracks gives Metrolinx the justification too, then, to close down York U station.

They've only just short-listed the bidders for the double-tracking of the line, so it will be some time before trains are able to take advantage of it.

http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Barrie-Rail-Corridor-Expansion-Project/

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

We are probably looking at another 18 months to 2 years or so before full counter peak service happens. This is great news but I hope the sidings are put in place for proper off peak and counter peak service.

I wish it was much faster, and it frankly should be. Doesn't take that long to lay down tracks.

The procurement strategy is what is adding the delay. That, and the timing of the cash in Ontario's budget.....the money is only starting to flow for RER. That the RER funding wasn't planned to be available for a few years yet was always clear in Ontario's budgets, which Wynne's PR people quietly overlooked.

While I'm as frustrated as anyone with the pace, I'm warming up to the procurement strategy. RER is far bigger than ML had the project management strength to manage internally. Ontario's decision to put all the project people in one agency (IO) and run all infrastructure from there wasn't totally wrong. They have gone much further with working in the financing end of that than Ottawa has with its not-ready-for-primetime-yet IB. Measure twice, cut once is always a wise approach so taking more time early may be prudent.

All the same, watching the pace of projects, one wonders how much time and money contingency the contractors are building in. The problem with contingency is, if you allow it they will use it up. If you don't allow it, there will be alleged "overruns" that the media loves to overstate and take out of context. Ion is one example of that. Some of the recent headlines about OPG's Darlington refurb have turned on the same thing. I wonder if IO, reflecting Ontario's risk-averse desire for all-good-news projects, is taking an ambitious enough line on timetables.

- Paul

Metrolinx Introduces More Trains, More Options for GO Transit Customers

TORONTO: December 14, 2017 – Metrolinx is moving forward with our expansion and transformation of the GO Transit network with new and improved service on the Barrie corridor.

Starting December 30, Barrie line passengers will see new midday and evening service from Monday to Friday, in both directions between Aurora and Union Station, and more weekend service, too. There will also be extra morning, afternoon and late evening train service between Bradford GO Station and Union Station.

Customers will also have the opportunity to connect easily to the TTC subway at the new Downsview Park station. Downsview Park GO station is integrated with the TTC’s Line 1 subway expansion. All Barrie line trains will make stops at the new Downsview Park GO Station beginning December 30.

We are also opening a new GO bus terminal at the new Highway 407 Station on the TTC Line 1 subway extension to give customers better connections.

GO bus customers should check the new schedules as several routes are being realigned to serve the new Highway 407 Station on the TTC Line 1 extension. There are also some changes to Barrie GO bus services to improve schedule reliability and provide better connections with expanded train service on the Barrie line.

Key Facts:

·GO will now run 230 train trips per week on the Barrie line, up from 118

·Downsview Park GO Station is GO’s 66th station

·There will be nearly six times as much service for passengers on the Barrie line as there was 10 years ago

For a summary of all service additions and schedule changes, visit gotransit.com/servicechanges.

Still seems absurd to me not to have counter-peak trains, but to have mid-day and evening trains. I'd think that, at least cost to the city itself, that counter-peak would be busier than off-peak.

The procurement strategy is what is adding the delay. That, and the timing of the cash in Ontario's budget.....the money is only starting to flow for RER. That the RER funding wasn't planned to be available for a few years yet was always clear in Ontario's budgets, which Wynne's PR people quietly overlooked.
hd
While I'm as frustrated as anyone with the pace, I'm warming up to the procurement strategy. RER is far bigger than ML had the project management strength to manage internally. Ontario's decision to put all the project people in one agency (IO) and run all infrastructure from there wasn't totally wrong. They have gone much further with working in the financing end of that than Ottawa has with its not-ready-for-primetime-yet IB. Measure twice, cut once is always a wise approach so taking more time early may be prudent.

All the same, watching the pace of projects, one wonders how much time and money contingency the contractors are building in. The problem with contingency is, if you allow it they will use it up. If you don't allow it, there will be alleged "overruns" that the media loves to overstate and take out of context. Ion is one example of that. Some of the recent headlines about OPG's Darlington refurb have turned on the same thing. I wonder if IO, reflecting Ontario's risk-averse desire for all-good-news projects, is taking an ambitious enough line on timetables.

- Paul
This entire thing should have been farmed out to a third party. With project management, it's always better to be safe they sorry, but meeting deadlines is important. I feel the slowdown is also political and the Liberals want to just announce things during the election.
Its worrisome how long just double tracking is taking, considering electrification is a whole other can of worms.

2025 is fast approaching.
Yup, now only 7 years away on Jan 1, 2018

Still seems absurd to me not to have counter-peak trains, but to have mid-day and evening trains. I'd think that, at least cost to the city itself, that counter-peak would be busier than off-peak.

It is physically impossible to run counter-peak service because there aren't enough passing tracks to meet the peak-direction service, which runs as frequently as every 15 minutes. While it may seem absurd to have evening service but no counter-peak service, it would be even more absurd to reduce the frequency of peak-direction service in order to provide counter-peak service. Full double-tracking is well underway, and as more of it gets completed, more counter-peak service will become possible.

Was excited to get the email notification Tuesday morning announcing the new trains/schedules on the Barrie line. Some interesting reading and discussion here.

I can't find the reference just now, either here or on another board, but I thought there was mention that the off-peak service was going as far as East Gwillimbury. That was a surprise since, prior to that post, Aurora was always the northern terminus. But then the 66 and 68 were redirected to EG, so it was making sense. Am I dreaming? Was EG ever in the running for a turnaround point for this launch of off-peak service?

Not quite all day, two-way hourly train service: here's the new PDF schedule. The last southbound train leaves Aurora at 2:41 PM, the first evening train leaves at 8:41 PM. The first northbound morning train leaves at 9:40 from Union Station.

It is a significant gap. I remember planning my trip to a 7:07 Jays game last summer, thinking of driving to Unionville to catch a train to avoid rush hour traffic...only to find out there were only buses southbound.

I understand the lack of trackage prevents the counter-peak trains presently, but, I think a train arriving at Union around 6 pm would be a big attractor for those trying to take GO for an evening event during the week.

Will such service only materialize when the line is fully double-tracked? Or will the passing sidings already "in the pipe" offer any incremental improvement over the hourly schedule just announced?

In addition to the new Barrie Line trains:
  • New route 69 will provide weekday shuttle service between Newmarket Bus Terminal and Aurora GO. 69A branch will provide transitional service between Wellington/404 Park & Ride and Aurora GO.

Pleasantly surprised that they're continuing to serve the Bus Terminal. With the restructuring of the 66 to EG, I figured that was their plan to serve the terminal, rerouting all other services to either EG or Newmarket GO at the Tannery (a la 65G on weekends). The terminal is another great option for parking; being able to hop on a GO Bus to the Aurora platform (vs. Viva Yellow, for an extra $1 and a [brief] walk crossing Davis) makes it that much more attractive.

As a commuter who gives up on finding parking at station after the 7:26 departure, I was pleasantly surprised by the 69A. I think it allows the P&R lot to become an extension of the parking at the station-proper...but the P&R can itself fill up by 10 am.

I wonder how long it will last (the shuttle service when weekend trains were launched didn't last long), particularly if/when YRT improves connections to the station. I'm very interested in the On-Demand service they're talking about.

There are 3 layover spots at Bradford. 2 have been in use since September.

Nitpick: I thought it was just the 8:19 departure that originates at Bradford. Is there another?

Currently, the 8:19 (whenever I've caught it) is a 6-pack. Come January 2, will all three Bradford trains be shorter trains? Can the 3 spots accommodate larger consists?

Looking at the weekend schedule, I see the 18:11 Aurora departure is 10 minutes later (all the others are at :01 past the hour). Is this trip served by a deadhead chasing the Union 17:00. Or does one of the Bradford trains see action on the weekend? (I'm guessing not, since there's only 4 minutes between the train leaving Bradford to go north and the southbound departure from Aurora.)

Nitpick: I thought it was just the 8:19 departure that originates at Bradford. Is there another?

Currently, the first train of the morning from Barrie (and the last of the night) deadheads from (and to) Bradford. There are only 6 active layover spots available at Allandale Yard.

Come December 30th, the seventh spot at Allandale will be active, and thus all of the trains starting at Barrie will be stabled there. This will free up the spots at Bradford for trains to start and end there.

Currently, the 8:19 (whenever I've caught it) is a 6-pack. Come January 2, will all three Bradford trains be shorter trains? Can the 3 spots accommodate larger consists?

Once I get my hands on a train cycling schedule, I'll post it on here.

Looking at the weekend schedule, I see the 18:11 Aurora departure is 10 minutes later (all the others are at :01 past the hour). Is this trip served by a deadhead chasing the Union 17:00. Or does one of the Bradford trains see action on the weekend? (I'm guessing not, since there's only 4 minutes between the train leaving Bradford to go north and the southbound departure from Aurora.)

This train deadheads northbound behind the scheduled 17.00 departure, and then runs southbound.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It is physically impossible to run counter-peak service because there aren't enough passing tracks to meet the peak-direction service, which runs as frequently as every 15 minutes. While it may seem absurd to have evening service but no counter-peak service, it would be even more absurd to reduce the frequency of peak-direction service in order to provide counter-peak service. Full double-tracking is well underway, and as more of it gets completed, more counter-peak service will become possible.
They could at least do it where double-tracking exists. Kitchener line to Bramalea for example.

Interesting that the new Barrie service isn't stopping at York University Station, but the existing service will continue to stop at this station.

Back