News   Aug 14, 2024
 333     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 671     1 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 2.5K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

According to my research, about 3 minutes.

Also note that each station stop adds about 2 minutes to the trip time, so although keeping York University station open would save 3 minutes for the 200 trips per day between YorkU and the north, it would add 2 minutes to the 16,000 trips per day that are simply passing through.

You hear that, York U?

justin-timberlake-cry-me-a-river.gif

You hear that, York U?

justin-timberlake-cry-me-a-river.gif
The criticism should not be leveled at York U at all....but if the station remains it should be aimed at ML. York U is just doing what most any organization would do....asking for more and better service for their constituent users.

Even if the numbers at the York U station are small and likely to get smaller the school is doing what it should do and standing up to them.....but yes, people should be reminding ML that sometimes they need to say "no" and that, in this case, the needs of the many far outweigh the needs of the few.

Really no single source for that kind of info.

TTC is fairly simple. GO has a lot more going on.

Spadina subway extension opens in less than a month.
Eglinton Crosstown - 2021
Finch LRT - 2022
Scarborough Subway - 2026

Go is going to have a lot of phased upgrades over the next 10 years, and a lot of projects with no specific date.

GO extensions

Niagara - phased between 2019 and 2023
Bowmanville - unspecified, probably 2024 or 2025

RER service is the upgrading of go service to 15 minute frequencies running all day, most with in service dates of 2024 / 2025.

RER will run on the following stretches:

Lakeshore West - Aldershot to Union
Lakeshore East - Oshawa to Union
Stouffville - Unionville to Union
Barrie - Aurora to Union
Kitchener - Bramalea to Union

There are additionally some new all day services planned on hourly frequencies, as follows. Again, the only dates mentioned are 2024/2025, though these could come earlier.

Hamilton - hourly express from Oakville service all day to Union
Stouffville - from Mount Joy to Union
Barrie - From Barrie to Union

Kitchener is supposed to be getting some sort of all day service as well, though it is a much more complicated process, with unspecified dates and exact service levels. It is expected to be done a bit later, probably 2026 or so.

There is also the Hurontario LRT in Mississauga, which is a major project but isn't GO or TTC. I think it is supposed to be done in 2023.
Milton, I heard 2040 a while ago, is this correct?

And shame about Brampton.

The criticism should not be leveled at York U at all....but if the station remains it should be aimed at ML. York U is just doing what most any organization would do....asking for more and better service for their constituent users.

A direct subway connection is not more and better service? Sorry to beat this dead horse for those of you who have heard me go on about this before, but:

My issue is that the only leg York U has to stand on from this change is the cost aspect. Students will still get a 'shuttle' between the GO train and campus, each and every time a GO train arrives or departs Toronto. It may take a couple more minutes, but it is more efficient in terms of energy and the environment.

The only other change is that York U users are facing is the extra $3.00 or $1.50 for each trip. So if York U wants to spend time and effort towards anything, it should be working with Metrolinx to a) program free transfers between Downsview Park GO and York U station into Presto, and b) figuring out how to pay for it.

Until then, they are being obstructionist to an inevitable change, and wasting time and effort.

A direct subway connection is not more and better service?

Of course it is....it is better than what they had....but having both stations open and serving their students is even better....and that is what they are asking for.....

....don't get me wrong, I agree....York U station should close down the minute that the new station opens but I just think that criticizing York U is misplaced....if ML gives into them then by all rights write to ML ....and you have my permission to sign my name to the complaint...but York U is doing nothing wrong here.

Even if the numbers at the York U station are small and likely to get smaller the school is doing what it should do and standing up to them.....but yes, people should be reminding ML that sometimes they need to say "no" and that, in this case, the needs of the many far outweigh the needs of the few.

Before removing the station, ML should look at the impact it would have on Electric GO RER trains vs the current sluggish hulking bilevels, as well what impact on ridership the station would have if a walkway was made to Steeles ave, and the Steeles bus stopped at it.

Ontop of the fact that we may be getting a single fare for all transit in downtown Toronto, it would be a huge mistake to rip up the station, only to find out, whoops, theres demand in that area for one now that you can take a GO-RER train every 15 minutes with a single fare connected to TTC services, and the express rural trains bypass the station now so it had no effect after all on travel times.

Hindsight.

Before removing the station, ML should look at the impact it would have on Electric GO RER trains vs the current sluggish hulking bilevels, as well what impact on ridership the station would have if a walkway was made to Steeles ave, and the Steeles bus stopped at it.

Ontop of the fact that we may be getting a single fare for all transit in downtown Toronto, it would be a huge mistake to rip up the station, only to find out, whoops, theres demand in that area for one now that you can take a GO-RER train every 15 minutes with a single fare connected to TTC services, and the express rural trains bypass the station now so it had no effect after all on travel times.

Hindsight.
Who said "rip up" the station? I said close it....leaving the platforms and limited infrastructure there makes sense (IMO) for a few reasons.

"Yet the GO Milton line, which also serves the Mississauga City Centre (one of the only UGCs that is attracting jobs), is not prioritized for regional express rail service."

Yeah, because they can't. ML would love to, but its not owned by them.
I think that is the major complaint being leveled though......ML seldom does what is needed or best....they do what is feasible.

Way way back I suggested that 15 minute service will arrive on the Lakeshore(s) before hourly all day 7 day service was on all the other lines....at the time, I admit, I was being intentionally a bit difficult/controversial......but I am not sure how far off I really was .....ML will do what it can....not what it should....and I think that is what is being expressed in that article.

So, Cooksville (and I guess Bramalea) we can't get you the trains you want/need....but here is a shiny new ReR ready station.!

I think that is the major complaint being leveled though......ML seldom does what is needed or best....they do what is feasible.

Way way back I suggested that 15 minute service will arrive on the Lakeshore(s) before hourly all day 7 day service was on all the other lines....at the time, I admit, I was being intentionally a bit difficult/controversial......but I am not sure how far off I really was .....ML will do what it can....not what it should....and I think that is what is being expressed in that article.

So, Cooksville (and I guess Bramalea) we can't get you the trains you want/need....but here is a shiny new ReR ready station.!

2018 election is coming up and they want to be able to say "look what we have done!"

2018 election is coming up and they want to be able to say "look what we have done!"

And in the case of Brampton, and Milton, the answer is?

There are certainly good things happening in some places. In others, I wonder if the voters and local pols will see past the windowdressing.

- Paul

Re Brampton, either we'll have more information before the June 2018 election or we won't. I'm surprised the media hasn't picked more up on the budget figure that's attached to the "Kitchener Extension". Will be interesting to see how that'll fit into the platforms of the parties, and if local candidates mention it.

9blOatI.png

^the attention span/attention to detail on the transit file is the reason the Minister gets to do multiple press conferences for the same project and get it treated like a new announcement each time.

Back