News   May 08, 2024
 190     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 416     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 630     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Fare integration, I'd get that. Covering the fare, that should be York U's responsibility. Travel time, c'mon, how much is the net increase between the shuttle ride and one subway stop?
That’s a lot of fares to cover, even with the $1.50 discount.

It’s a shuttle bus vs 2 subway stops. The shuttle bus waits for the trains to arrive but the subway comes every 2-5 minutes, so extra waiting may be required.

Bulldozing it would be wasteful gravy spending. Let nature take its course and slowly reclaim the area. If need be use it as a research study on "what would happen if humanity disappeared"

They should make a walkway with an entrance from Steeles and have the Steeles TTC bus stop at it.

Good news on the planned June 2018 weekend service for Stouffville. I'm really hoping this is service for the entire line and that mid-day and evening service is extended to at least Mount Joy as part of these changes.

Hello members,

My apologies if this is the incorrect forum. I am looking for TTC and Go Transit proposed/official expansion plans for the next 5-10 years.

Where can I source that information?

Many many thanks!

Ed

Hello members,

My apologies if this is the incorrect forum. I am looking for TTC and Go Transit proposed/official expansion plans for the next 5-10 years.

Many many thanks!

Ed
So are we. If you find them, let us know. This is not facetious. (Well, maybe a little.)

Google RER BCA for the plan. As noted, believing it will ever actually happen requires faith. I don’t recall the year 2024 taking that much profile in the Da Vinci Codes, but that’s the magic date for ML.

- Paul

Hello members,

Many many thanks!

Ed
Comes out in dribbles in different documents and press events at different times.

The line I follow closest, for example, is going to have evening and weekend trains by March 31, 2017 according to the 2016 Ontario budget.

It will also see the conversion of its current 10 car GO trains to 12 car trains by the end of 2017 (this was announced during a very rare press conference by the Minister of Transportation on a GO platform in 2015).

:)

Hello members,

Many many thanks!

Ed

Really no single source for that kind of info.

TTC is fairly simple. GO has a lot more going on.

Spadina subway extension opens in less than a month.
Eglinton Crosstown - 2021
Finch LRT - 2022
Scarborough Subway - 2026

Go is going to have a lot of phased upgrades over the next 10 years, and a lot of projects with no specific date.

GO extensions

Niagara - phased between 2019 and 2023
Bowmanville - unspecified, probably 2024 or 2025

RER service is the upgrading of go service to 15 minute frequencies running all day, most with in service dates of 2024 / 2025.

RER will run on the following stretches:

Lakeshore West - Aldershot to Union
Lakeshore East - Oshawa to Union
Stouffville - Unionville to Union
Barrie - Aurora to Union
Kitchener - Bramalea to Union

There are additionally some new all day services planned on hourly frequencies, as follows. Again, the only dates mentioned are 2024/2025, though these could come earlier.

Hamilton - hourly express from Oakville service all day to Union
Stouffville - from Mount Joy to Union
Barrie - From Barrie to Union

Kitchener is supposed to be getting some sort of all day service as well, though it is a much more complicated process, with unspecified dates and exact service levels. It is expected to be done a bit later, probably 2026 or so.

There is also the Hurontario LRT in Mississauga, which is a major project but isn't GO or TTC. I think it is supposed to be done in 2023.

^ Good summary but for the Hurontario LRT for Mississauga and Brampton, I believe they are saying it'll be done in 2022.

For Kitchener Line GO service west of Bramalea, they are calling it the Kitchener Extension and a frieght bypass is needed between Bramalea and Milton. The last capital report allocated $2.2B for it.

Travel time, c'mon, how much is the net increase between the shuttle ride and one subway stop?

According to my research, about 3 minutes.

from https://ontariotrafficman.wordpress.com/2017/03/12/torontos-latest-abandoned-station/:
Downsview Park station is 2.8 km south of York University station. The speed limit of this segment of the Barrie line is 75 mph (121 km/h), but there’s a 45 mph (72 km/h) restriction over the Snider Overpass just north of York University station. So conservatively assuming a 70 km/h travel speed, it would take 2.4 minutes longer to get to Downsview Park station than the current station. Note that since the number of stops is unchanged, there’s no need to account for acceleration or deceleration.

The new Downsview Park station is a direct interchange between the GO train and the subway, so it should only take a minute to get from one platform to the other. Then the average wait for a subway train will be less than 3 minutes, since Line 1 operates every 5 minutes or better. Once on the train, it should take less than 6 minutes to cover the 3.3 km to York University subway station, with one intermediate stop at Finch West. That’s based on the fact that Line 1 trains currently take 6 minutes to cover the 4.0 km from Sheppard-Yonge to Lawrence, also with one intermediate stop.

To sum up, the GO train ride will be 2 minutes longer for passengers coming from the north, and then it will take 10 minutes to get to campus (1 min transfer + 3 min wait + 6 minute subway ride), which is 1 minute longer than the current shuttle bus. That’s a total of 3 minutes added to the trip – a far cry from the “20 minutes” that was published in the CBC article without any fact-checking. Indeed, according to my rough estimate, it will actually be a minute faster for train passengers coming from the south.

Also note that each station stop adds about 2 minutes to the trip time, so although keeping York University station open would save 3 minutes for the 200 trips per day between YorkU and the north, it would add 2 minutes to the 16,000 trips per day that are simply passing through.

It’s a shuttle bus vs 2 subway stops. The shuttle bus waits for the trains to arrive but the subway comes every 2-5 minutes, so extra waiting may be required.

The shuttle bus only connects to 5 trains on weekdays and none on weekends. At the very least, the train trips without a shuttle connection should bypass the station.

Last edited:
Google RER BCA for the plan. As noted, believing it will ever actually happen requires faith. I don’t recall the year 2024 taking that much profile in the Da Vinci Codes, but that’s the magic date for ML.

- Paul
Much appreciated - I will have a look !

Also note that each station stop adds about 2 minutes to the trip time, so although keeping York University station open would save 3 minutes for the 200 trips per day between YorkU and the north, it would add 2 minutes to the 16,000 trips per day that are simply passing through.

Nitpick: GO schedules approximately 3 minutes for each station stop (that's decelerating from cruising speed, stopping, disembarking and embarking all passengers, and accelerating back up to speed) where the track speed is 80mph. As the track speed drops the amount of time required to schedule a stop decreases as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back