News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 569     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

It's too true, I've spoken to so many people upon coming to University in Toronto this year and the amount t of people who have heard of RER is tiny not to mention the people who can actually explain what it is.

Part of the problem is that the majority of the public thinks RER is just slightly better Go Service, if instead it was marketed as rapid transit to nearly every suburb then there might be more weight behind it.
welcome to UT!

Part of the problem is that the majority of the public thinks RER is just slightly better Go Service, if instead it was marketed as rapid transit to nearly every suburb then there might be more weight behind it.

Agreed. The government has done a pretty poor job explaining what RER actually is and how it would benefit commuters. IMO they should have banners up at every GO station, especially in the 905, saying something like "RER will bring trains here every 15 minutes, all day".

If the government fails to do this, perhaps a viral social media campaign would get the word out about what RER actually means for the average commuter.

Isn't there a capacity crunch on the line from Bramlea to Georgetown.

Bramalea to Georgetown.....yes, sorta. They are well on their way to alleviating it, though.

But the section that I'm referring to is east of Bramalea to Wice, where there is more than adequate capacity for the foreseeable future.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

At this point is there any chance electrification begins before the next election? I feel like electrification is the key turning point.

Once electrification occurs on at least one corridor....
- emus can be put into service and the improved service will lead to further pushes on other corridors for both electrification and improved infra when people see the improvements on whichever corridor is electrified
-If the PCs get into power the above might still hold true and it could become a quick wins scenario for the pcs

The Georgetown South corridor electrification is ready to go, EA done, approval from Toronto Hydro etc.

The only issue is $$$.

The liberals would be wise to find some $$$ somehow to get it started asap before the election.

All this talk of RER and electrification is kinda meh to me because Milton isn't even planned on the rollout.

All this talk of RER and electrification is kinda meh to me because Milton isn't even planned on the rollout.

All the more reason to up the public pressure on CP to buy into the Missing Link. With them off the Galt Sub, the Milton Line would be all clear for RER.

All the more reason to up the public pressure on CP to buy into the Missing Link. With them off the Galt Sub, the Milton Line would be all clear for RER.
Yup besides Port Credit and Clarkson will be getting rer.

Actually they are. Erin Mills may have a lot of people, but far more people live close to Port Credit and Clarkson in Mississauga than Streetsville. There are a lot of apartment buildings along Hurontario! The majority of mississaugans live south of the 403, with a lakeshore west stop being fairly close.

You do realize that Port Credit and Clarkson are nowhere near the majority of the population of Mississauga right?
Actually they are. Erin Mills may have a lot of people, but far more people live close to Port Credit and Clarkson in Mississauga than Streetsville. There are a lot of apartment buildings along Hurontario! The majority of mississaugans live south of the 403, with a lakeshore west stop being fairly close.

I was going to say, Clarkson is ~15 min from a lot of Western sauga which is about normal for a travel time to a train station. Of course it would be nice if CP Rail budged, let's hop they sign on for the Missing Link.

You do realize that Port Credit and Clarkson are nowhere near the majority of the population of Mississauga right?

Port Credit is, however, the terminal stop for the Hurontario LRT. That's a high-capacity, high-speed link for people along Hurontario (condos) through to Square One and beyond to get to Port Credit GO. And with trains every 15 minutes and a quicker travel time to Union, somebody a good distance up Hurontario can take the LRT to Port Credit then GO to Union and still have a very reasonable (in a regional context) total commute time.

Port Credit is, however, the terminal stop for the Hurontario LRT. That's a high-capacity, high-speed link for people along Hurontario (condos) through to Square One and beyond to get to Port Credit GO. And with trains every 15 minutes and a quicker travel time to Union, somebody a good distance up Hurontario can take the LRT to Port Credit then GO to Union and still have a very reasonable (in a regional context) total commute time.
Compared to the 103 currently....the LRT is projected to shave off 3 minutes of trip time from Dundas/Hurontario to PC GO......now it may just be dumb luck, but the 3 or 4 times I have used the 103 to get to/from PC GO (to/from Derry/Hurontario) the bus has been virtually empty.....so it would be hard to convince me that a lot of people up the length of Hurontario are just wating for the LRT to make a marginal improvement of their travel times to jump aboard to PC GO.

Nonetheless, this is all contingent on RER even happening. Without RER the link between Missasauga and Toronto that this can form will be significantly weakened. Whether RER gets built or not could really change the whole landscape of transit in the GTHA. Almost all the new rapid transit being currently built will connect to GO in some way and without RER the network starts to look bad for any longer journeys because all the lines being constructed in Toronto for example are East-West and without the DRL and GO RER we can expect serious issues with YUS.
Will patrick martin fight CP rail just for service on the Milton line? Not sure.

Back