News   Jul 17, 2024
 392     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 860     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I just got back from 3+ weeks on my belated honeymoon too (that's what happens when you marry a teacher)...it's a lot of work catching up on all these threads.

Congrats! And yeah, it's quite a task getting caught up, haha.

Regarding Tim's at stations: I think the point about peak vs off-peak traffic is a valid one. IMO, to start off with, they should only be located at stations with AD2W service OR stations that are a major intermodal hub. Stations that come to mind are: Aldershot, Burlington, Oakville, Port Credit, Pickering, Oshawa, Milton, Bramalea, Brampton, Unionville, Langstaff, Newmarket.

The reason I chose those stations is because they're either busy AD2W stations, or they're major GO Bus transfer stations, which usually involves a bit of a wait. Some of them are both.

Regarding Presto payment: I still think the best option is to go with an App + ApplePay/GooglePay or whatever. Have the app be the front end UI with payment and system info, and let Apple or Google handle the back end payment. You can even go 1 step further and install iBeacons in every station or on every bus/streetcar, that can tell when that phone got on and off the vehicle, and charge them an as-the-crow-flies distance based fare.

Places like Port Credit would be a great place; it's adjacent to residentials. And with all-day 15-min 2-way service, there will be far more traffic in 2023 than today.

So would a place like pedestrian-friendly West Harbour GO (once it gains all-day 2-way train service in the coming decade), as well as new pedestrian-friendly infill stations like Caledonia GO as they would be a transfer point between two frequent-service routes (Crosstown LRT and Barrie GO RER).

Many of these retail will take 10 years to arrive, so the correct time to begin planning and sending feelers to gauge interest -- is pretty much right now.

Check your source, I didn't say that. :rolleyes:

I guess I don't think it is as good a business opportunity as some do.....i will note that the 3 non-union stations I use the most are Mt. Pleasant, Brampton and Bramalea. Bramalea has a coffee vendor (one of those Gateway on the GO places).....Brampton had one that closed.....and when Mt. Pleasant opened (despite a tender going out) they could not find someone to operate it).

I quite liked the coffee vendor at Brampton Station, they had great muffins. But they got thrown out in favour of Gateway. Is it still there? I haven't been to Brampton Station in morning rush in almost 10 years.

From a business point of view it makes way more sense to not draw the hassle of payments on yourself - to have payment cards work with Presto and transition to a system where Presto cards become niche use with most people using Paywave, Paypass, Apple Pay etc. The only reason to push in the other direction is to gain access to and the ability to sell customer spending data, right?

From a business point of view it makes way more sense to not draw the hassle of payments on yourself - to have payment cards work with Presto and transition to a system where Presto cards become niche use with most people using Paywave, Paypass, Apple Pay etc. The only reason to push in the other direction is to gain access to and the ability to sell customer spending data, right?

Pushing people towards Presto than various card/NFC payment options is cheaper for the TTC in the long run. Remember that all network fees are passed on to the merchant, so every time you use your Paywave, Paypass or Apple Pay the TTC has to pay for every transaction.

I quite liked the coffee vendor at Brampton Station, they had great muffins. But they got thrown out in favour of Gateway. Is it still there? I haven't been to Brampton Station in morning rush in almost 10 years.
There hasn't been a coffee vendor there for 2 or 3 years now.

Congrats! And yeah, it's quite a task getting caught up, haha.

Regarding Tim's at stations: I think the point about peak vs off-peak traffic is a valid one. IMO, to start off with, they should only be located at stations with AD2W service OR stations that are a major intermodal hub. Stations that come to mind are: Aldershot, Burlington, Oakville, Port Credit, Pickering, Oshawa, Milton, Bramalea, Brampton, Unionville, Langstaff, Newmarket.

The reason I chose those stations is because they're either busy AD2W stations, or they're major GO Bus transfer stations, which usually involves a bit of a wait. Some of them are both.

Some of these also have adjacent VIA stations, which would contribute to ongoing traffic in the station area. I'm sure VIA passengers would appreciate a Tim's while they're at the station waiting.

Non-train customers could use a designated lane in the passenger pick-up zone to just stop in and grab a coffee. It's not like they need to park for hours (unless the Tim's is REALLY busy).

So, this is the pitch to , say, Tims "we want to generate a lot of revenue from non fares...so that means we want to charge you a lot of rent to open stores within train stations....many of which see large amounts of people for 2 hours a day and that is it, but there won't be parking for non train customers and it is not clear how many of the train customers will actually stop in the station to get coffee as opposed to one of the several coffee shops they pass on the way there.....oh, and by the way, to get in on this great opportunity you have to go the trouble and expense of accepting another form of payment....one that is inevitably linked to a credit or debit card that you already accept anyway!" ;)

I think it would be more likely that Tims would respond with "nah, why don't you scrap Presto and just accept the Tim Card on the train" ;)

At which point the discussion moves to offering discounted rent on the station property in exchange for acceptance of Presto.

Any further information on this morning's massive CN computer signaling failure? Those platforms full of stranded LSE people looked pretty intense.

At which point the discussion moves to offering discounted rent on the station property in exchange for acceptance of Presto.
Sure....but the stated goal of ML was to continually grow their non-fare revenue sources.........a decision would have to be made about the relative values of real estate lease income and any income that comes from expanded presto use.

Last edited:
Pushing people towards Presto than various card/NFC payment options is cheaper for the TTC in the long run. Remember that all network fees are passed on to the merchant, so every time you use your Paywave, Paypass or Apple Pay the TTC has to pay for every transaction.
Agreed, but the responsibility for payment processing security shifts to them and Presto have to invest in the facilities and technologies required to handle the additional transactions and interfaces.

The question becomes whether the cost in money and goodwill of Presto doing it themselves, and requiring customers to use their payment media is less than using third party payment methods and letting the customer pay with their preferred payment method.

GO to boost train service on Kitchener, Stouffville lines
The new train service is expected to be in the off-peak hours.
co-torontoskyline01jpg.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

CARLOS OSORIO / TORONTO STAR Order this photo

GO Transit plans to boost service on it Kitchener train line in September.

By: Tess Kalinowski Transportation reporter, Published on Fri Aug 07 2015
GO riders on the Kitchener and Stouffville lines are expected to get a boost to their train service in the off-peak, following Labour Day.

The Kitchener line will get hourly trains in both directions between Union Station and Mount Pleasant, one stop east of Georgetown, according to Toronto Star sources.

GO is also looking at hourly off-peak service between Union Station and Unionville on the Stouffville line. Because Stouffville is still a single track, the trains will be timed to pass one another at the Scarborough Station, said the source.

Those stations currently offer only rush-hour service.

Metrolinx, the provincial agency in charge of GO Transit, would not confirm the additional trains. But GO typically announces fall service changes mid-August, said Anne Marie Aikins.

Transportation officials have been clear that there will be regular service boost announcements as the province works toward its $13.5 billion regional express rail (RER) plan, rolling out over the next nine years.

That program includes electrifying the system and offering 15-minute service on some key stretches of track.

GO will increase its service by 50 per cent in the next five years, from about 1,500 trips to 2,200 a week, Premier Kathleen Wynne announced in April.

Although Metrolinx is already working on adding an additional track to the Stouffville line, the province has said it won't be electrified until 2022-23. Nor will Kitchener.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...n-service-on-kitchener-stouffville-lines.html

Last edited:
Well that's good news! With hourly service to Mt Pleasant, I wonder whether GO will introduce all-day Kitchener train-bus service to Bramalea. Would be very useful for me.

Back