News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.7K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 684     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

So, the Kitchener-Union GO run might not be so bad, and in any event, its arrangement with VIA would be similar to that seen at Aldershot, where GO Trains already take an hour to get to Union, and VIA offers faster, but pricier, express service. Sounds fair to me.
Sounds fair indeed - it already takes close to 90 minutes to drive to Kitchener in morning AM (which I suppose is better than the 2.5 hours it takes to come from Kitchener). It would be nice to have some options other than being stuck on a bus in traffic - particularily one that may be almost as fast as driving.

It will still have the 407 buses. Those are the connections I was talking about.

You are correct but I am just not sure how connecting to one service that Brampton does not but not connecting to as many other GO buses or Brampton Transit routes or any VIA makes Bramalea "the most important station on the line from a connections point of view"

Guess it is all in the eye of the beholder though!!!!

So, the Kitchener-Union GO run might not be so bad, and in any event, its arrangement with VIA would be similar to that seen at Aldershot, where GO Trains already take an hour to get to Union, and VIA offers faster, but pricier, express service. Sounds fair to me.

...James

That is also how it currently works in Brampton....GO train takes 42 minutes to Union and costs +/- $7.

Via takes around 30 minutes but costs +/- $20.....convenience/comfort/speed have a price....as they should.

These times will only get better after the planned rail corridor improvements, most notably the bridge at Acton being doubled and the triple/quadruple track along the Weston sub. The more people who see this as a faster alternative, the more people will take the train. This is the way to build ridership. I've very optimistic! :D

Last edited:
These times will only get better after the planned rail corridor improvements, most notably the bridge at Acton being doubled and the triple/quadruple track along the Weston sub. The more people who see this as a faster alternative, the more people will take the train. This is the way to build ridership. I've very optimistic! :D

I think it is the transit line that has the best opportunity for significant ridership growth. Considering the populations that it serves, the possibility of adding significant trip generators (Woodbine racetrack/entertainment centre, International centre convention/trade shows, the airport and {assuming a liberty village stop gets built} all of the activities at the Ex/BMO Field/Ontario Place}) all for a relatively small amount of investment.....investment in this line has been long overdue.

Had a chance to go to the Kitchener PIC #2 this past Thursday. In my honest opinion, no huge changes from the first PIC but at least they're progressing through. I haven't seen the slides posted online yet so I figured I'd post the riderships numbers they were floating around.

Since it appears they're going to have some off peak trains (otherwise, the 24 hour period makes no sense), I think they're heavily underestimating the amount of students riders who will shift from the current Greyhound service to a GO service. I'm happy to see that they're not pushing for any huge increases at the Kitchener VIA Terminal (pending selection) but am somewhat confused why they're pushing for it at Downtown Guelph.

RidershipFigures.png

I don't think Rockwood merits a stop. It's just a village (pop. 2,823) and likely has almost no Toronto-bound commuters. Acton is very close; remember that on these country highways travel times are very short. Google estimates the driving time to Acton at only 7 minutes.

If things worked in a Euro way here, it might merit an Epping/Ongar-type stop. But certainly not a stop in the sense that the existing subdivisions around Rockwood presage much, much more like it. (Especially given the rural-artsy-NIMBY demos around Rockwood/Eden Mills.)

GO train service boost for Hamiltonians
CHML
2/9/2009

GO Transit is improving service for Hamilton passengers.

Starting Monday, March 2, a new morning train trip from Hamilton GO Centre to Union Station will be added to the schedule.

The new trip will leave Hamilton at 7:17 a.m.

It's an extension of the existing trip that leaves Aldershot GO Station at 7:32 and arrives at Union Station at 8:25.

^ GO Transit spent millions on the new layover at the TH&B GO Station and that results in one extra train in the morning, 7:17am. Seems like a waste.

^ GO Transit spent millions on the new layover at the TH&B GO Station and that results in one extra train in the morning, 7:17am. Seems like a waste.
It's a step. I expect we'll see gradual additions to service on the entire Lakeshore line all year, leading up to the 30-minute peak service late this year.

It's also about reliability. If the trains can tie up for the night in Hamilton then it reduces the chance of delays if it can't deadhead to Hamilton on time for the morning rush.

You mean I can spend -$20 and ride the train from Brampton to Toronto.... that is an income of $40/hr :eek:

To me it shows a couple of things.....

1. VIA and GO understand that speed/convenience/comfort have a price. If $20 is too much for the relatively superior VIA service, you can take the GO for much less.....the 7:48 a.m. VIA train from Brampton to Union has a travel time of 32 minutes and a comfort class fare of $21....if that is too much, you can wait for the 8:01 GO Train which will cost you $6.40 and 43 minutes of travel on a slightly less comfortable train (note...there are ways to reduce the cost of the VIA train but it will always significantly more expensive than the GO alternative)

2. The proposed cost of Blue 22 (disucssed in other threads) is not a case of the private sector gouging the public.....it is about the same price that VIA charges for similar length of journey, on old equipment.

To me it shows a couple of things.....

1. VIA and GO understand that speed/convenience/comfort have a price. If $20 is too much for the relatively superior VIA service, you can take the GO for much less.....the 7:48 a.m. VIA train from Brampton to Union has a travel time of 32 minutes and a comfort class fare of $21....if that is too much, you can wait for the 8:01 GO Train which will cost you $6.40 and 43 minutes of travel on a slightly less comfortable train (note...there are ways to reduce the cost of the VIA train but it will always significantly more expensive than the GO alternative)

2. The proposed cost of Blue 22 (disucssed in other threads) is not a case of the private sector gouging the public.....it is about the same price that VIA charges for similar length of journey, on old equipment.

The VIA $20 fare Brampton-Union is based on the minimum fare VIA charges. There are some who take the Brampton-Union trip, but most are either on commuter passes, those VIA-GO paks (I've used these sometimes) or are connecting to other trains. I've rode VIA on that trip with the paks (it was partly to boost my VIA Preference standing and save time, and they worked with GO student 10-rides and passes too!). I believe Georgetown is the same fare, though Guelph is somewhat higher. Also consider that VIA is subsidized (as is just about any mode of travel one way or another). Another benefit I found was that the train coming into Toronto in the morning also had the VIA 1 car open to coach passengers.

I don't think that VIA's minimum fare (which is not designed to attract close-range commuters, it is just part of their national price structure) is the same case as Blue 22 and isn't really comparable. At least there's also the option of GO from Brampton, something that your beloved Blue 22 won't have competing against it.

Last edited:

Back