News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 633     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 302     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Don't know about Bradford, but I find it highly unlikely that they would design a system with a 30 mile gap between controlled locations.

They committed to All day GO on all lines by 2015..
I'm not aware of that. Can you point to a reference? The NDP did back in the early 1990s, sure. But they got tossed out of office, and haven't returned. GO's 2008 GO 2020 plan made some promises, as did the 2008 Big Move, but I don't think any promised all-day GO on all lines by 2015.

That doesn't say by 2015. It doesn't even give a timeframe. They are still moving towards all-day service on all lines, and there's even an approximate time-frame in http://stevemunro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Project-Costing-Jan-13-2014.pdf which appears to put all-day service at 2016 for Richmond Hill, 2018 for Stouffville, 2019 for Barrie, 2020/2021 for Milton, and 2021/2022 for Kitchener (presumably with some all-day service on part of the line in 2015/2016 with the current project).

I swear I remember reading it somewhere.. most election promises have overly optimistic timing like that anyway. I think Stouffville will be the first new corridor to get all day GO, its the furthest into the EA process right now. Kitchener might get it soon as well. IIRC Stouffville is the fastest growing corridor other than lakeshore (which due to the new 30 minute service is obviously posting huge growth numbers)

Last edited:
I swear I remember reading it somewhere.. most election promises have overly optimistic timing like that anyway. I think Stouffville will be the first new corridor to get all day GO, its the furthest into the EA process right now. Kitchener might get it soon as well. IIRC Stouffville is the fastest growing corridor other than lakeshore (which due to the new 30 minute service is obviously posting huge growth numbers)
I don't recall seeing it anywhere. The most optimistic one I recall since the Liberals came to power was the GO 2020 ... which was 2020.

Why do you think anything would be in advance of what Metrolinx has released. Which I will repeat:

2016 - Richmond Hill
2018 - Stouffville
2019 - Barrie
2020/2021 - Milton
2021/2022 - Kitchener

... and yes, presumably Kitchener get's at least some mid-day service sooner, when the current projects end, from Bramalea to Union.

Apparently that report is not officially Metrolinx' plan. And it does shaft Brampton, as GO Transit has historically been fond of doing. The Bramalea forced transfer was garbage and I hope they don't go back to the old days of turning a 30-45 minute bus trip to Union into a 1 hour 15 minute bus + transfer + train PITA.

Apparently that report is not officially Metrolinx' plan.
True, it's from their Investment panel. Metrolinx keeps it's cards far too close to it's chest for us to get such a timeframe out of them. But Metrolinx has briefed the panel in more detail than they've ever briefed the media.

If you can point to better information though, I'd love to see it.

Like they do with the train trips that short turn at Unionville currently? a 40 minute bus ride to Centennial becomes a 1:10 train / bus ride..

I also think the reports timelines are a little optimistic. a 2023 DRL opening is a bit too soon I think, despite how nice it would be. 2024 or 2025 is more likely.

That doesn't say by 2015. It doesn't even give a timeframe. They are still moving towards all-day service on all lines, and there's even an approximate time-frame in http://stevemunro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Project-Costing-Jan-13-2014.pdf which appears to put all-day service at 2016 for Richmond Hill, 2018 for Stouffville, 2019 for Barrie, 2020/2021 for Milton, and 2021/2022 for Kitchener (presumably with some all-day service on part of the line in 2015/2016 with the current project).

That's from the Transit Investment Advisory Panel. They are not part of Metrolinx and are not affiliated with Metrolinx.

Like they do with the train trips that short turn at Unionville currently? a 40 minute bus ride to Centennial becomes a 1:10 train / bus ride..
To some extent.

But I think you forget, that by mid-afternoon the congestion on the DVP is such, that the trip times were longer. If you look at the 2011 Stouffville GO schedule before they put in those early trains to Unionville. the 14:40 bus arrived Centennial at 15:25, and the 15:10 bus arrived at 16:00. If you look at the current schedule the 14:18 train arrives (after switching to bus) at 15:10 and the 15:18 train arrives at 16:05. The first is 7 minutes longer, but the second is 3 minutes faster ... and probably more reliable now that the DVP and 401/404 interchange isn't a factor. And those using Kennedy, Agincourt, and Milliken stations are much better off!

I also think the reports timelines are a little optimistic. a 2023 DRL opening is a bit too soon I think, despite how nice it would be. 2024 or 2025 is more likely.
I agree. But if they want to aim for 2023, and it ends up being 2026, then at least it's progress.

That's from the Transit Investment Advisory Panel. They are not part of Metrolinx and are not affiliated with Metrolinx.
I think I acknowledged this above in my previous post. But not affiliated? It's a provincial government panel, the same government that Metrolinx is part of; id that's not affiliation I don't know what is!

My point still stands. They've been briefed by Metrolinx, better than the media have. But I'd be happy to see better information!

But I think you forget, that by mid-afternoon the congestion on the DVP is such, that the trip times were longer. If you look at the 2011 Stouffville GO schedule before they put in those early trains to Unionville. the 14:40 bus arrived Centennial at 15:25, and the 15:10 bus arrived at 16:00. If you look at the current schedule the 14:18 train arrives (after switching to bus) at 15:10 and the 15:18 train arrives at 16:05. The first is 7 minutes longer, but the second is 3 minutes faster ... and probably more reliable now that the DVP and 401/404 interchange isn't a factor. And those using Kennedy, Agincourt, and Milliken stations are much better off!

As someone who's taken the Union to Markham GO bus hundreds of times, it's ranged from about 25 minutes (later buses running express to Markham) to over two hours. Taking a night-time bus after any game/concert/event downtown, which is pretty much every night during the summer, often takes well over an hour, versus about 50 minutes on the train. The reliability, capacity, safety (having to stand in the aisle going up the DVP is scary) and comfort (washrooms!) of the train make up for the extra 10-15 minutes of time it sometimes takes. Plus, off-peak DVP traffic will only get worse as more neighbourhoods are built along 404 (most of Markham's new white field development is along the 404 for example, and that's not even getting into the 404 extension), so I think the days of the bus being faster than the train are numbered anyway. I do agree that the short-turn Unionville train runs are annoying though. I hope full service to at least Mount Joy is part of the eventual all-day schedule.

Back