News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 544     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Typical Toronto transit progress.

actually, in this case, it makes sense. They are refurbished on a schedule that ties in with normal maitnenance and upgrading contracts....so it ends up costing nothing extra.

I am sure it could be done faster but that would mean paying a fairly significant amount of money to do that faster.....money that could otherwise be used.

actually, in this case, it makes sense. They are refurbished on a schedule that ties in with normal maitnenance and upgrading contracts....so it ends up costing nothing extra.

I am sure it could be done faster but that would mean paying a fairly significant amount of money to do that faster.....money that could otherwise be used.

Yes I understand. It's just that everything seems to take way too long, whether it's the presto rollout or the LRT projects.

Yes I understand. It's just that everything seems to take way too long, whether it's the presto rollout or the LRT projects.

generally I would agree that we have elongated delivery times...despite how frustrating that may be, I think it is unfair to lump this refurb in with that. This is the prudent way to go (IMO).

That's what happens with major funding constraints (both capital and operating). I can't think of any project I would want to defer in order to get new seats faster.

Obviously additional funding would be nice but we've been banging that drum for nearly 20 years.

Agree completely! When I first started reading this I thought it would be a major expense that would take away from actual service improvements. This approach seems like a no brainer given the current seating is more or less fine.

Delivery by 2016-17. Hmm, is that not right in the middle of a bunch of Next Wave projects to bring all-day two-way service to all GO lines? Perhaps they may be looking at doing incremental increases in service (more rush hour trains perhaps) as a step-up to AD2W while construction is underway.

Get improvements to key parts of the lines done first (passing tracks, etc) that will allow for increased, but not AD2W service, and then move on to beefing up the rest of the line to make AD2W possible. Hopefully that's the route they'll take.

Delivery by 2016-17. Hmm, is that not right in the middle of a bunch of Next Wave projects to bring all-day two-way service to all GO lines? Perhaps they may be looking at doing incremental increases in service (more rush hour trains perhaps) as a step-up to AD2W while construction is underway.

Get improvements to key parts of the lines done first (passing tracks, etc) that will allow for increased, but not AD2W service, and then move on to beefing up the rest of the line to make AD2W possible. Hopefully that's the route they'll take.

A few new trainsets will be needed so GO can introduce counter-peak trains, 65 cars is five 12-car trainsets with a few spares.
Plus GO is supposed to get new, redesigned cab cars.

A few new trainsets will be needed so GO can introduce counter-peak trains, 65 cars is five 12-car trainsets with a few spares.
Plus GO is supposed to get new, redesigned cab cars.

Yup, that's my point. The delivery schedule is before a lot of the AD2W improvements in the Next Wave are supposed to come online. That would seem to indicate some kind of incremental increase in service between current levels and AD2W on all lines. That would certainly be welcome.

Well Rich Hill will get all day service in 2016. Stouffville in 2018. So maybe they are planning to twin those routes. Barrie will be next. This is supposed to be done by 2023. I guess there will be another order next year or in 2016

Back