News   May 09, 2024
 514     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 824     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 551     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

It's nice to see Stouffville filling in some of the rush hour gaps as the trains are getting really packed.
Interesting that you say this. A co-worker at Danforth Station commented to me the other day that as Stouffville line trains pass by there, they are practically empty.
Passenger counts must be up, else Metrolinx wouldn't be adding the additional train, however I do have some trust in my co-worker's observations.

Since GO has to deal with CP and their hostility towards passenger agencies regarding the Milton Line, I feel it would instead be better for them to find a way to have the original 21 service back. The “have riders change onto LW trains to go to Union” strategy doesn’t seem to be that effective.

I'm not sure on what basis you say this. Before Covid Milton had ten train slots and was about to add an eleventh. I'm sure ML still has those slots, but ridership or some other variable (equipment? crewing?) does not incline them to use them.
CP is not going to demand that Ml use the slots, but that does not make them hostile. It's not their decision.

- Paul

Port Credit GO Station is close 100% this weekend with hourly service west from Clarkson. This supposed to include the 21C

No idea what is happening to VIA or NF trains as the track bridges at PC are being remove. Maybe will be using the Halton and Weston Sub's for detour.

This will remove the slow order for trains today for the area come Monday or early next week.

If you are using miWay route 2 bus to use GO, have to use 23 to get to Clarkson

I'm not sure on what basis you say this. Before Covid Milton had ten train slots and was about to add an eleventh. I'm sure ML still has those slots, but ridership or some other variable (equipment? crewing?) does not incline them to use them.
CP is not going to demand that Ml use the slots, but that does not make them hostile. It's not their decision.

- Paul
I thought at it’s max Milton reached 12 trains if I’m not mistaken. But my memory could be wrong. But maybe I’m thinking of 12 total trains per day, 6 in and 6 out. But looking at transittoronto.ca it looks like you’re right the tenth train was added in 2016.

The current schedule has 8 trains. So we could certainly add two more trains to at least get back to pre-covid levels.

Last edited:
I thought at it’s max Milton reached 12 trains if I’m not mistaken. But my memory could be wrong. But maybe I’m thinking of 12 total trains per day, 6 in and 6 out. But looking at transittoronto.ca it looks like you’re right the tenth train was added in 2016.

The current schedule has 8 trains. So we could certainly add two more trains to at least get back to pre-covid levels.
Here is the timetable from immediately before covid.

Screenshot_20231028-152821.png

Screenshot_20231028-152902.png

10 round trips per weekday.

Nothing like facts to get in the way of a good argument!
Those are the correct facts. The other facts is that pre covid and post covid the Milton lines service is terrible. And yes there are promises. But it’s so hard to determine if something is actually happening to fix this to full day service or is it just political promises for votes and nothing actually happens.

Those are the correct facts. The other facts is that pre covid and post covid the Milton lines service is terrible. And yes there are promises. But it’s so hard to determine if something is actually happening to fix this to full day service or is it just political promises for votes and nothing actually happens.

There is nothing in any of ML's public commentary to suggest that all day service is coming to Milton.

Nothing.

- Paul

Back in the 90’s GO had a expanded Milton schedule, this was their first (and ended being only because of the budget cuts in ‘95) attempt at expanding service outside of rush hour on any of the lines besides lakeshore:View attachment 516357
I asked a question in the fantasy thread.. but you got me thinking of another, older question. Since you did a diagram for the “Seaton Line” once, I’m wondering if GO ever seriously considered it, if the room existed for them, and if it did, why they didn’t bother. I imagine CP was far from interested given that the Milton line is effectively a legal settlement, but surely they would’ve looked into it… Maybe come out with a stringent condition for service, no?

I asked a question in the fantasy thread.. but you got me thinking of another, older question. Since you did a diagram for the “Seaton Line” once, I’m wondering if GO ever seriously considered it, if the room existed for them, and if it did, why they didn’t bother. I imagine CP was far from interested given that the Milton line is effectively a legal settlement, but surely they would’ve looked into it… Maybe come out with a stringent condition for service, no?
Seaton was in The Big Move alongside the Midtown, Peterborough, Bolton, and Niagara Lines, I could find a feasibility studies for all of them except Seaton, so I think out of that group the Seaton line was probably the least considered one.
But I don’t think CP is as adversed to passenger service as you might think, just remember that the Bowmanville extension is happening, and it’s not going to be like the Milton Line.

Check the UT thread Go Transit Midtown Corridor. Seaton has appeared in many studies and in the Big Move strategy document. It was not carried over to the 2041 Regional Transportation Plan. To my knowledge it has never had an EA or a Business Case Analysis, but ML certainly knows that the line is there. One sees it suggested from time to time - but not with any immediate intent to pursue.

- Paul

There is nothing in any of ML's public commentary to suggest that all day service is coming to Milton.

Nothing.

- Paul
Didn't the liberals promise all day go on Milton... I believe that to be true. @drum118 seems skeptical anything is happening and its all talk @Northern Light has suggested that things are happening in the background and just to be patient. I maybe putting words into peoples mouths but I thought that was a summary of our conversations since following the Milton line since 2020

Last edited:
Didn't the liberals promise all day go on Milton... I believe that to be true. @drum118 seems skeptical anything is happening and its all talk @Northern Light has suggested that things are happening in the background and just to be patient. I maybe putting words into peoples mouths but I thought that was a summary of our conversations since following the Milton line since 2020

I stand corrected - yes, Minister Alghabra did promise federal support for 2-way Milton GO - see here.

One would imagine that if Bonnie Crombie ever got into power at QP, the idea might resurface.

But as to forward direction - if there is design work going on, or even a business case discussion, it's still at an early stage.

- Paul

I stand corrected - yes, Minister Alghabra did promise federal support for 2-way Milton GO - see here.

One would imagine that if Bonnie Crombie ever got into power at QP, the idea might resurface.

But as to forward direction - if there is design work going on, or even a business case discussion, it's still at an early stage.

- Paul
Well Omar was from Mississauga and couldn't get it done.. He's retired if people don't know.... Now I would assume if Bonnie gets in that this would be a priority but who knows.

Back