News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 405     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Contract awarded.

Err.....lets just be clear here. This is NOT a contract to build the Bomanville extension, its a contract for some advance infrastructure planning.

1686837454047.png

Its a fine thing.......but its a very small step on the road to anything substantive.

^ sorry yeah. Got distracted and meant to post more context. Doesn't really specify what this contract is for. The new release implies the total project is this:

"Ontario is investing $730 million to extend the Lakeshore East GO line further into Durham Region, bringing two-way all-day GO train service to Bowmanville. "

^ sorry yeah. Got distracted and meant to post more context. Doesn't really specify what this contract is for. The new release implies the total project is this:

"Ontario is investing $730 million to extend the Lakeshore East GO line further into Durham Region, bringing two-way all-day GO train service to Bowmanville. "
Christ, this is a lot of money to extend a GO Line, even if it involves a dedicated guideway… and it’s not even gonna be electrified? Are stations included in this?

Just to amend this: it can't be electrified, not just that it won't. CP won't allow it.
The last plan I looked at closely didn't seem to have connections between the GO and CP tracks. If it's entirely grade-separated from CP, why aren't they allowing it? Which document is the source of this?

Though it's kind of moot, as I don't think there's been any discussion of full service east of Oshawa as far as I know (though would be nice if they at least served one of those stations that's closer to town).

The last plan I looked at closely didn't seem to have connections between the GO and CP tracks. If it's entirely grade-separated from CP, why aren't they allowing it? Which document is the source of this?

Though it's kind of moot, as I don't think there's been any discussion of full service east of Oshawa as far as I know (though would be nice if they at least served one of those stations that's closer to town).

At this point we don't know whether CP won't allow it, or whether GO hasn't made it a requirement. The amended EA may clarify.

Even if "separated" I understand CP's concern - at 25kv, being within a few feet of the wire is risky. The work procedures they would need just to maintain their own line (let alone deal with problem scenarios) would be a nuisance. Can it be done? Sure, but it's added trouble.

- Paul

Christ, this is a lot of money to extend a GO Line, even if it involves a dedicated guideway… and it’s not even gonna be electrified? Are stations included in this?
If that's the all-in cost, it doesn't seem too bad for a 20km project that includes a bridge over the 401, new trackage (double?), stations and a lay-over yard.

Back