News   Jul 09, 2024
 774     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 607     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

What do you mean by that? Panic among whom?

Anyways, Moderators, the last six or so posts have NOTHING to do with "GO Transit Service thread (including extensions)". Can you please delete them? The thread is being cluttered with debates on demographics, not GO Transit service. Please do something about this!

Seconded.

Thirded - my initial comment that sparked this was meant as an aside of something that was extremely shocking - that I never expected anyone to actually debate or try or to explain why people'd feel that way!

Last edited:
Not sure how extreme or widespread it is (neither you nor I am quoting from large sample sizes after all)....I prefer to think of it as ill informed people scared of "change"....after those brief conversations (in which very early on they find out I do not share their view of the world) I am usually left with the impression that my world is better off that they moved out and left room for "the new folk!". ;)

Hell I'll add that I've spoken to many former Woodbridge'ites who have also fled to Barrie, Caledon, Bolton, Alliston etc have also espressed the latent racisim of "not one of us". No I wouldn't say it's extreme like burning crosses and public hangings, it still does exisit in a quiet undercurrent form.

Question about Barrie Line...

I read somewhere on this forum that it takes 1 hour 10 mins to complete an entire one-way trip. So how does GO run the 4 morning and 4 afternoon trips on this line? Do any of the 4 trains make a run back along the same tracks to make another run? Or is there a connection between the Barrie Line and another line that allows it to take trains via another branch? Or is there simply a GO Train storage area between Barrie and Bradford somewhere?

Ah I see thanks. Also does anyone have any pdf/EA of the allandale station under construction?

Another question...how many sidings are required along the Barrie Line for its entire length in order to operate all-day service?

Are they going to rename Barrie South to something like Mapleview and rename Barrie-Allandale to something like just Barrie or Barrie Centre?

Are they going to rename Barrie South to something like Mapleview and rename Barrie-Allandale to something like just Barrie or Barrie Centre?

GO/Metrolinx wants one thing while the City of Barrie wants something different. I think we will know by month end what the names will be.

GO/Metrolinx wants one thing while the City of Barrie wants something different. I think we will know by month end what the names will be.

Not quite right.

The City of Barrie wants "Barrie Waterfront". The local community wants "Barrie Allandale" (the historical name of the station and the name of the surrounding neighbourhood). Metrolinx is caught in the middle.

Read more here on the website of the neighbourhood association

As described in the article, if the word "Barrie" makes it into the name of the new station then GO is planning to rename Barrie South to St. Paul's. Apparently this is in order to prevent confusion.

Ah I see thanks. Also does anyone have any pdf/EA of the allandale station under construction?

Part of the construction work is the refurbishment of the old CN Allandale Station, which had VIA service (only on the Canadian transcontinental) until 1997 when the Newmarket Sub was abandoned by CN from Allandale to Washago.

I support the Allandale name, rather than some silly municipal branding name like "Barrie Waterfront" - but "Vaughan Corporate Centre" is worse.

I think if you're going to have the station in Barrie itself be Allandale, then the "Barrie South" should renamed to something else. For there to be a "Barrie South" there's gotta be a "Barrie" or a "Barrie North". "Barrie South" always struck me as a temporary name. Several GO stations have had such temporary names (e.g. Oakville West I believe is one).

As for needing one of the stations to have the name "Barrie" in it, I don't think that's necessary. The name of the LINE is Barrie. If anything "Barrie" anything on the "Barrie Line" is redundant. Mississauga doesn't have a single station named after it, instead they're named after neighbourhoods (Erindale, Streestville, Cooksville, Clarkson, Port Credit, Malton, Meadowvale) or streets (Dixie and Lisgar).

Just one correction: Lisgar is a neighbourhood (west of Meadowvale). Yes, there exists Lisgar Drive, but it doesn't touch the station. ;)

Yes, but the neighbourhood is named after the street. I don't think there was a Lisgar neighbourhood before there was a Lisgar street.

Back