News   Jul 09, 2024
 832     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 621     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I know there's a long term plan for the Brampton GO Station main lot for development, but that's because it's part of the Downtown Brampton Anchor Mobility Hub (TM).

Apart from Port Credit, DT Brampton, Streetsville, Markham and perhaps Oakville, Richmond Hill, Clarkson and Cooksville, I don't know if condos on GO parking lot land makes a lot of sense because of their industrial locations far from other decent residential areas.

Uh, Erindale GO isn't industrial at all. In fact, the land that they're building the temporary parking lot on is zoned for apartments so I see no reason not to include condos in this parking structure.

With Erindale GO gaining an entrance on Burnhamthorpe from the looks of the rendering they could conceivably change the address for Erindale GO from a Rathburn Rd address to a Burnhamthorpe Rd address.

Port Credit is an ideal place to build condos on top of GO parking lots. Even with the commie blocks in all directions the area is still a yuppie paradise--ideal for development.

Commie? Port Credit is hardly NDP territory.

What does the term "commie block" have to do with the voters' inclination in the area? There are many commie blocks in Mississauga, including Port Credit among many other places.

What does the term "commie block" have to do with the voters' inclination in the area? There are many commie blocks in Mississauga, including Port Credit among many other places.
Is this the silly reference to Toronto apartment buildings again, that have absolutely no physical or visual similarity to Eastern European apartment buildings? I've noted before that these buildings have nothing to do with Communism ... people really should stop making up their own fantasy language. It has nothing to do with the thread in question, and only confuses anyone not part of the 5-person erectionist clique who might get it.

Is this the silly reference to Toronto apartment buildings again, that have absolutely no physical or visual similarity to Eastern European apartment buildings? I've noted before that these buildings have nothing to do with Communism ... people really should stop making up their own fantasy language. It has nothing to do with the thread in question, and only confuses anyone not part of the 5-person erectionist clique who might get it.

Have you been to Eastern Europe? I have. They actually look very similar to commie blocks.

Have you been to Eastern Europe? I have. They actually look very similar to commie blocks.
They are not even close. The key element of those buildings are the prefabricrated concrete work. You don't see that here. They also tended to be government-led housing projects; here they are very capitalistic endeavours. No comparison.

It's a silly term, not in wide use, and not a valid comparison.

Aside from parking space, how about parking exits? I usually take the train from Clarkson, and the wait to get out of the parking onto Lakeshore or Southdown is a fairly reasonable 1-3 minutes. However, I once took the train to Oakville GO, getting picked up at the K&R around 5:35 and it took a full 20 minutes to get out to Cross Street. It looked like there were just too many cars trying to get out at the same time. Has anyone else had similar experiences? I hope improving parking exits are being considered as a cheap way to improve commute times and reduce greenhouse gas emissions...

That's the problem with GO's operating policy. "Improve service" with longer and longer trains that are packed with people all trying to get out of the parking lot at once, if those additional cars were instead added to new runs, it wouldn't be so bad.

That's the problem with GO's operating policy. "Improve service" with longer and longer trains that are packed with people all trying to get out of the parking lot at once, if those additional cars were instead added to new runs, it wouldn't be so bad.

Agree!!!

By GO adding more cars and riders per train, they help to create gridlock in the parking lots. Then that gridlock moves to the roads to add to the existing gridlock.

It also helps to move green gas from one place to another without addressing the problem in the first place.

Places like Port Credit, Clarkson, Oakville, Erindale, Lisgar, Richmond Hill, future Sheppard, just to name a few, all parking should be underground with mix complexes on top of this parking structure.

More trains would help to off sit the gridlock, but better local transit would even be better to remove these car.

My father and I noticed the other day while driving on the 410 that there was something being constructed at the 410 and Williams Parkway interchange. A few times driving by and this reveal it's going to be a carpool lot with GO Bus connections.

Does anybody know what GO routes this could possibly serve, or if there were plans for new GO routes utilizing the 410 or Williams Parkway?

My father and I noticed the other day while driving on the 410 that there was something being constructed at the 410 and Williams Parkway interchange. A few times driving by and this reveal it's going to be a carpool lot with GO Bus connections.

Does anybody know what GO routes this could possibly serve, or if there were plans for new GO routes utilizing the 410 or Williams Parkway?

I would think the bus route that serves Bovaird/10.....Trinity Common....Bramalea Transit Station.....Bramalea GO.......then uses the 407 to get to the Finch and Sheppard stations with a stop in Thornhill ( I think) would use that station.

I think, also, there may be some buses to and from Union which are express to Mt. Pleasant...I think those use the 410 so I could see them stopping at W.Pkway as well.

It is a nice piece of infrastructure using a previously underutilized piece of public property......but I can't see it becoming a major service spot....more likely the kind of stop that becomes more viable with a fare system like presto where you don't need stations/attendants.

Doesn't longer trains less frequently also allow easier scheduling and higher loads on connecting buses (assuming they have priority getting out of the station area over the parking traffic)?

I was just checking on taking GO from downtown to Georgetown for an afternoon meeting later this week. Looking at the schedule - http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/PDF/Quicktables/UNION/CurrentBoard/GEGO.pdf there is a great service between Union and Georgetown - some 25 departures a day, fairly well spaced ... but only 14 coming back?? With a gap between 2:50 pm and 6:15 pm ???? Am I missing something?

I guess I'm driving ... which is a shame, because I can get there in great time.

Back