News   May 06, 2024
 479     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 674     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I really don't get how having had the frequencies for a few months is anything to celebrate when they are now non-existent and we are hearing precisely nothing about restoring them.
The fact that GO actually increased service to record-high levels in the middle of the pandemic indicates that they are trying to implement service improvements despite the challenges. The subsequent reduction in service in January 2022 was not by GO Transit's choice, it was unavoidable due to severe a lack of operators which meant that they were physically unable to operate the scheduled service and countless trips got cancelled on a daily basis. At least with the reduced schedule they could now operate the trips that were scheduled.

The fact that we are hearing nothing about restoring them doesn't mean much given that we normally don't know about service changes until a couple weeks beforehand anyway. I think it has now been long enough that we should start asking GO questions about their operator availability rate, and by extension when they can restore better service to Kitchener, but it is too early to be making accusations.

I frankly do not like that you are using old timetables to push the idea that currently bad service levels should be accepted "because service was bad not that long ago."

I and Urban Sky never made any claims about whether the service "should be accepted" or anything of the sort. We were directly refuting @Bureaucromancer 's claim that service has been stagnating, when in fact GO has clearly been consistently improving service when they are able to.

Why are you saying it's okay now that ridership has returned; "it was that bad 3 years ago". That's not a defense. That's embarrassing for service I considered adequate between 2019 and 2021.

Nobody is saying that. We all agree that service should be increased as soon as possible.

2. the lack of trains now leads to heavy crowding, especially on some train cars near the end. Crowding should be seen as a blessing because it signals a need for more frequency. But Metrolinx is way too slow to respond. It's been crowded for weeks yet service remains the same.

Easy fix: Add a late morning/early afternoon train: I've already posted photos months ago that a portion of Friday riders need a later train because they are using it to stay in Toronto for the weekend or even to go the the airport. Numbers won't tell you the number of suitcases using the train though! Or even trip patterns. Timetables just show Metrolinx needs to pay attention to rider habits more, instead of reverting to the ancient idea that GO is some commuter only service.

Again, yes, we want the shoulder-peak and off-peak trains to be reinstated as soon as possible. The question is whether GO is physically able to do so (i.e. do they have enough operators).

Last edited:
The fact that GO actually increased service to record-high levels in the middle of the pandemic indicates that they are trying to implement service improvements despite the challenges. The subsequent reduction in service in January 2022 was not by GO Transit's choice, it was unavoidable due to severe a lack of operators which meant that they were physically unable to operate the scheduled service and countless trips got cancelled on a daily basis. At least with the reduced schedule they could now operate the trips that were scheduled.

The fact that we are hearing nothing about restoring them doesn't mean much given that we normally don't know about service changes until a couple weeks beforehand anyway. I think it has now been long enough that we should start asking GO questions about their operator availability rate, and by extension when they can restore better service to Kitchener, but it is too early to be making accusations.

I and Urban Sky never made any claims about whether the service "should be accepted" or anything of the sort. We were directly refuting @Bureaucromancer 's claim that service has been stagnating, when in fact GO has clearly been consistently improving service when they are able to.

Nobody is saying that. We all agree that service should be increased as soon as possible.

Again, yes, we want the shoulder-peak and off-peak trains to be reinstated as soon as possible. The question is whether GO is physically able to do so (i.e. do they have enough operators).

While none of my post was really directed at you in the first place, I am glad to hear that was not the point being made. I responded without reading enough that's my fault. My defensiveness may come from the fact that this service is basically a lifeline for me and has been over the pandemic. 😅

And you're right, the increased service during the pandemic is promising.

I apologize for taking out some of my frustration in that post, much of it stems from the fact that Metrolinx wasn't clear to the public when they stated that services wouldn't be disrupted by vaccine mandates. I just wished they were more transparent from the start that cuts would have to be made and stated they were temporary.

I do worry though how much future ridership will be affected by such weak communication from Metrolinx though.

FWIW.........@smallspy might know better than I; but I'm hearing about significant service restoration/expansion soon.
So.......

I'd been hearing from the staff in the office that they were planning on restoring a large amount of the service on March 1st.

But......the guys on the ground apparently haven't heard a thing, and they need about 2-to-3 weeks notice before the changes can be instituted.

Dan

So.......

I'd been hearing from the staff in the office that they were planning on restoring a large amount of the service on March 1st.

But......the guys on the ground apparently haven't heard a thing, and they need about 2-to-3 weeks notice before the changes can be instituted.

Dan
So will they need to re-qualify those crews that where put on temp leave?

I finally got around to doing my annual Canadian Commuter Rail service summary. Because my benchmark is always the first week of January, my summary tables do not reflect the service reductions which were published in mid-January. Those fall into the scope of next year's (2022) summary.

Coloured relative to last year's schedules (green = improvement, red = deterioration):
comrsum2021a-1.jpg

Coloured relative to two years ago (pre-pandemic):
comrsum2021b-1.jpg

https://ontariotrafficman.wordpress.com/2022/02/20/canadian-commuter-rail-summary-2021/
Following the annus horibilis that was 2020, I am pleased to report that commuter rail service in Canada is showing a promising rate of recovery.

The service scheduled at the beginning of January 2022 is better in every way than the schedules one year prior, with the sole exception of the Stouffville line, whose last train on weekend evenings has now been replaced by a bus trip.

Off-peak service on most lines has returned to pre-pandemic levels, though peak-period service frequencies continue to be a bit lower due to the lower commuter ridership.

I always make my summary tables based on the first week of January. But on the second week of January 2022, train service in Ontario was drastically reduced due to a spike in train operator absences (due to a spike in Covid cases and the start of mandatory vaccination). Those changes are not included in the table, but I think that’s okay because they are just temporary and service will be restored as operator availability improves.

Because I was late in making this summary, I don’t have the Mascouche Line timetable which was in effect at the beginning of January, but the release notes for the current timetable state the changes since January have been very minor.

Service Extensions​

In June, the Richmond Hill line was extended one stop north to Bloomington station, which consists of a large parking garage in the middle of the greenbelt, completely inaccessible by foot, bike or local transit.

In August, all-day train service reached Hamilton for the first time, with one train per hour on the Lakeshore West line extended one stop west to Hamilton West Harbour Station, all day, every day.

Frequency​

In September, service returned nearly to pre-pandemic levels across the country. But there were a couple services which surpassed their pre-pandemic service.

The Kitchener line was a big winner in many respects. The number of roundtrips reaching Kitchener reached 10 per day, up from 8 pre-pandemic. The line also received regular counter-peak service for the first time ever, with trains every half hour from Toronto to Bramalea during the AM Peak, and every hour from Bramalea to Toronto during the PM Peak. These trains cut the travel time in half compared to the previous bus trips which got stuck in rush hour traffic.

September also brought back express service on the Kitchener and Lakeshore West lines. The Kitchener line got 5 express trips per day, up from 2 two years ago. This came partly at the expense of local service, which now operates every 30 minutes during the AM Peak instead of every 15 minutes.

The rollout of regular 15-minute weekday local service continued on the Lakeshore West line. Pre-pandemic there were numerous 30-minute gaps in service in the midday period, and counter-peak service was consistently every 30 minutes. Service between Oakville and Toronto has now been filled out with 15-minute headways in both directions from the start of service until about 20:00. Two trains per hour continue beyond Oakville, and of those one continues beyond Aldershot to Hamilton West Harbour. For some reason, service then plummets to 1 train per hour on weekend evenings. In October a second train per hour was added between Union and Exhibition during the evening, but given that those trips are only shuttling between two stops I did not include them in the line’s frequency.

However, some of the increased local service came at the expense of express service. Instead of 4 express trains and 2 local trains per hour during peak periods, there are now 2 express trains and 4 local trains per hour.

The Lakeshore East line received a very simple weekday service pattern, with local trains every 15 minutes in both directions between Toronto and Oshawa from about 05:00 to 19:00, then every 30 minutes until the end of service. Peak-period express service was not restored, because the line between Toronto Union and Danforth will be temporarily narrowed from 3 tracks to 2 during construction on the Ontario Line subway, which widen the corridor to include 2 subway tracks and 4 mainline railway tracks. taken out of service . There will still be a 3-track segment between Danforth and Guildwood, but that express track is occupied by VIA in alternating directions as their intercity trains overtake GO local trains.

In October, one trip per day on the Kitchener line was extended 92 km westward to London, creating by far the longest commuter rail service in Canada, with a length of 194 km and a travel time of 3h53. This is far beyond a reasonable travel time for regular riders, so the Province reported that the purpose was primarily to connect London, St Marys and Stratford to Kitchener and Guelph, not to Toronto. Travellers between London and Toronto would continue to use VIA Rail’s intercity service, which connects the cities in just 2h10. Given the province’s statements, and to avoid messing up the statistics for the Kitchener line, I have included the London-Kitchener service as a separate line.

In BC service was partially restored on the West Coast Express, with service increasing to 4 trains per day, slightly short of the 5 trains per day two years ago.

The Union Pearson Express continues to stand out in the table, as it continues to operate every 30 minutes throughout the day, whereas it ran every 15 minutes prior to 2020.

Speed​

With the return of express services in September, end-to-end travel times decreased on the Lakeshore West and Kitchener lines. And thanks to lower ridership and thus shorter station stops, they are also faster than pre-pandemic.

The biggest speed-related news this year was the completion of Metrolinx’s track upgrade project along the western Kitchener line, which finally eliminated the notorious 10 mph (16 km/h) slow zone through Guelph. On 16 December, the speed limit was increased to 45 mph (72 km/h) in December, cutting the Kitchener-Guelph travel time by several minutes. However, the time savings were not reflected in the timetables until mid-January 2022, so that improvement is not shown in the summary table. But even so, the previously-completed track improvements had already made the Kitchener line express the fastest AM peak service in Canada, with an average speed of 61 km/h.

The speed of new London-Kitchener service is remarkable, but not in a good way. The London line has the second-longest travel time of any line, despite only being the fourth-longest line by distance. Its travel time is 31 minutes longer than the Kitchener line express service, while covering 12 fewer kilometres and making a third as many intermediate stops. The poor track conditions on the CN-owned railway between London and Kitchener limit trains to 30 mph (48 km/h) for most of the route, even though the line has supported 70 mph (112 km/h) operations in the past. In April 1976, trains covered London to Kitchener in 1h13, compared to 2h12 in January 2022, while making the same two intermediate stops.

Last edited:
For those who wonder where it all started - check out the article on GO Transit Phase II in the Oct-Nov 1969 UCRS Newsletter.

It refers to a MTO report issued in early 1969 - which the Province quickly disavowed - proposing additional GO routes, driven by the success of the first GO line during 1967-68. If anyone has the original report, it would be really interesting to share.

The UCRS Newsletters are a great source of information, they are mostly on line here.

- Paul

For those who wonder where it all started - check out the article on GO Transit Phase II in the Oct-Nov 1969 UCRS Newsletter.

It refers to a MTO report issued in early 1969 - which the Province quickly disavowed - proposing additional GO routes, driven by the success of the first GO line during 1967-68. If anyone has the original report, it would be really interesting to share.

The UCRS Newsletters are a great source of information, they are mostly on line here.

- Paul
1645413219099.png

This map makes me sad.

So will they need to re-qualify those crews that where put on temp leave?
My understanding is that they haven't furloughed anyone (this time), and that they are doing their best to cycle all of the crews through the available work.

I have been told, however, that they did have a surprising amount of crews leave during/after the first furlough last spring/summer. That, coupled with the couple of crews who were put on long-term layoff due to not being vaccinated has put GO into a bit of a deficit when it comes to crewing numbers.

Dan

Why does it make you sad? We have most of those routes with most farther than what's on the map. What subdivision goes to Malvern and Locust Hill? Belleville sub?
It makes me sad that we could've had so many of these services earlier, with better alignments (Richmond Hill), and perhaps ran all day trains earlier (although I'm not too sure about that last part).

It makes me sad that we could've had so many of these services earlier, with better alignments (Richmond Hill), and perhaps ran all day trains earlier (although I'm not too sure about that last part).

Be careful about looking at history through today's lens to the exclusion of the lens that was applied at the time. In 1969, Union Station was just a tired old building that was considered expendable. Public attitudes towards spending even small amounts of pubic money were different, infrastructure spending was much more controversial. Much of that expansion territory was still farmland. Peripheral communities did not have the same commuter population or need for transit. Railway regulatory territory was very different. (It says something that GO originally only proposed the Milton line to terminate at Islington.... until 1979, CP had the upper hand in keeping GO off its tracks). Highways were keeping up with demand.

It would be an interesting thesis topic for an urban planning grad student to look at whether GO ever led, rather than followed, development planning across the GTA (probably some of one, some of the other).

All day service would never have fit on those old rail lines without the investment that is only just happening. There were opportunities missed, certainly.

What fascinates me about that report is that the vision was there from the beginning. It only caught on very slowly, thanks to some folks who persisted and persevered. I would say they did well at growing the network from the ground up.

- Paul

Back