News   Mar 28, 2024
 170     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

First SF EMU train arriving in San Francisco Saturday August 13 for testing, inspection and to be on display next month for the public. When will see GO Set??

Not mine and sent to me
1660765510263.png

1660765605874.png

remember theyre only building locomotives, they shouldnt need any more than 4 years for building them. we should expect to see completed ones probably by the late 2020s

Honestly I feel like when GO gets EMUs they won’t be double decker.
You will still need DD equipment as well single level to meet future needs like Europe.

Seen 4 set of 3 cars of DD making up at as well 3 sets of 5 cars that were pure EMU duel ends. Then seen locomotive at one end with a cab car and 9 DD. Then there was an DD train about 9 cars long with 5 single levels cars.

You get both single level and DD on all 9 systems I saw a few weeks ago and it depends on the lines they are running on as well speed.

Since DB is running GO now, they will most likely do what they do in Germany where they are using both types of cars and makeup of trains. Most likely will add and remove sets of cars along the route to meet the needs at each end. Why send a 12 car train to NF and London when you only need a 3 car train? Same can be said for KW, Barrie and X.

what's your source on this I thought they we only part of the group that is doing the electrification?.
There is no “electrification” contract. The contract is OnCorr and includes electrification, new grade separations, new track, electric locomotives, signalling, and taking over operations (including proposing service levels) for GO. It’s a whole package in one.

There is no “electrification” contract. The contract is OnCorr and includes electrification, new grade separations, new track, electric locomotives, signalling, and taking over operations (including proposing service levels) for GO. It’s a whole package in one.
DB is the operator of the trains as per the contract.

As an aside, the URL references the old name of GO RER lol.
I get that but that's not what i was talking about drum implied that DB was in charge of Go which is not the case at all. Operating the trains is what bombardier/ Alstom do now i don't see how they are in charge of anything other than the crew and the maintenance of the train and has nothing to do with the day to day running.

I get that but that's not what i was talking about drum implied that DB was in charge of Go which is not the case at all. Operating the trains is what bombardier/ Alstom do now i don't see how they are in charge of anything other than the crew and the maintenance of the train and has nothing to do with the day to day running.
I think what was inferred was that DB (DB representing ONxpress) is in charge of (the) GO (Expansion), i.e. OnCorr. That much is true. I'm not familiar with the contract conditions, but I assume the proponent will also - or at least eventually - take charge of train crew and maintenance operations.

Does anyone know how ONxpress will remove conflicts of interest between their operational part of the business and the construction/maintenance side? I recall Network Rail's (UK) public mandate was that they are not allowed to operate trains due to past catastrophic failures between operation (revenue generating entity) and construction/maintenance (revenue spending). What safeguards are in place to stop ONxpress on capitalizing financially while inducing unbeknown risk to public safety? I generally trust that this won't happen, and reputationally there is a lot on the line, but where is the line between risk and reward?

What safeguards are in place to stop ONxpress on capitalizing financially while inducing unbeknown risk to public safety? I generally trust that this won't happen, and reputationally there is a lot on the line, but where is the line between risk and reward?

I’m confident that the contract will have lots of legalese to address this. And they are subject to both federal and provincial regulation and inspection. As for construction, anything they do will have the usual due diligence, stamped drawings, etc..

There is always the temptation for a for-profit business to cut corners, but I would be more concerned about life cycle maintenance than the original construction effort. The proponent will not only build but then have to operate for a lengthy period. They have a self interest in making sure that anything they design and construct is operable and maintenance free. The question will be, how well is it maintained and what shape is the plant in after the contract ends and the infrastructure is handed back to the province for the next contract term. By then, the fleet will likely need replacement anyways - but bridges and structures and track need to be kept in good repair for the decades to come.

Also, note that DB is only one member of the consortium. The engineering and construction partners are local.

- Paul

DB, along with its consortium team members, is literally designing the infrastructure based around the service levels it is proposing. While GO is not being taken over, the core network will essentially be managed, designed, built, and run at service levels set by DB (I’m sure GO has to okay them). GO will essentially be the branding for the DB managed core network.

Back