News   Apr 26, 2024
 74     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 404     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

GO Transit Cab Cars 205 and 206 being refurbished at the ONR Shops.

206 appears to be almost complete at this point.

Credit to Nico Anello for taking both photos.
View attachment 422093View attachment 422094
3897249425_28d7759b83_b (1).jpg

Is their going to be paint above the windows?

So I guess it's my design then. In my blueprint I didn't add the paint about the windows. Just wondering if they were going to add another detail.

I drew the design of the cabs 3 years ago and I think I remember sending it to metrolinx.
You mean the CEM cabs? Those were designed over 7 years ago.
And if you’re talking about the older Hawker Siddeley cabs that are getting a rebuild, you definitely did not influence the livery on them either… since again; it was designed 7 years ago.

If GO is really about to hit a power crunch, couldn’t something be worked out with the folks across the way? They are about to have a few locomotives become idle (and I assume tweaking the F40PH CAT HEP to 575V is a reasonably straightforward mod), while the P42s continue with the remaining VIA Corridor non-Siemens trainsets. Eventually Siemens locomotive line gets caught up enough for a GO order and life goes on.

Of course, that assumes that the bean counters at VIA haven’t aggressively managed the parts and maintenance stream to the point where every Siemens trainset going into service retires a P42 mere weeks away from needing major work for which there is neither parts nor workers to do it.

As for EMD, while ”business is business” I imagine there are some folks in the London area who would not enjoy seeing that company receive a large chunk of Ontario tax $.

If GO is really about to hit a power crunch, couldn’t something be worked out with the folks across the way? They are about to have a few locomotives become idle (and I assume tweaking the F40PH CAT HEP to 575V is a reasonably straightforward mod), while the P42s continue with the remaining VIA Corridor non-Siemens trainsets. Eventually Siemens locomotive line gets caught up enough for a GO order and life goes on.

Of course, that assumes that the bean counters at VIA haven’t aggressively managed the parts and maintenance stream to the point where every Siemens trainset going into service retires a P42 mere weeks away from needing major work for which there is neither parts nor workers to do it.

As for EMD, while ”business is business” I imagine there are some folks in the London area who would not enjoy seeing that company receive a large chunk of Ontario tax $.
VIA is keeping the F40’s and getting rid of the P42’s. Literally a foamers dream, but the real reason is because they are in far better condition than the P42’s.

VIA is keeping the F40’s and getting rid of the P42’s. Literally a foamers dream, but the real reason is because they are in far better condition than the P42’s.
That's half of the reason.

The other half is that parts for them are about to get quite hard to find. A lot of the running gear was specifically designed and built for the design, with no interchangeability with other types of locomotive. Amtrak is retiring all of theirs, and VIA's 21 units just won't be enough to keep whatever lines still exist for production and maintenance. Compare to the F40s, where the vast, vast majority of components are shared with literally thousands of freight locomotives still in use.

Dan

You know, this is a personal theory of mine, but I feel like another reason why GO opted to reactivate 200-214 could be due to the 13 new locos that are on order.

As of right now GO has 88 cab cars (81 CEMs + 7 Classic Cab Cars)
GO also has 91 locomotives (66 MP40s + 17 MP54s + 8 F59s)

You add 200-214 to the list of cab cars you get 15 extra cab cars, bumping up the number of cab cars to 103. Likewise you add those 13 new locos and the number of locos get's bumped up to 104.

All in all that leaves GO with 104 locomotives and 103 cab cars.

Back