News   Mar 28, 2024
 198     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     2 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

We aren't in Europe who cares what they use? Most of the commuter trains I've seen from Europe aren't very good I'll take a go train over them any day.
Here's to wishing and hoping someday we can mimic JR and their commuter service quality. Maybe not in out lifetimes though

Here's to wishing and hoping someday we can mimic JR and their commuter service quality. Maybe not in out lifetimes though

Ah, who cares what the continent far better at rail and PT than us does!
We should stop looking at Europe and look at things like bright line in Florida. I have seen a few YouTube videos from European train enthusiasts who think they are much better than trains in Europe. I have seen videos where they talk about seats on trains in Europe being like ironing boards and they often have very few washrooms on board compared to how go transit and brigtine have them in every car.

We should stop looking at Europe and look at things like bright line in Florida. I have seen a few YouTube videos from European train enthusiasts who think they are much better than trains in Europe. I have seen videos where they talk about seats on trains in Europe being like ironing boards and they often have very few washrooms on board compared to how go transit and brigtine have them in every car.
Brightline is a niche product that serves only a few stations. Not to mention it doesn't even have 5 years of service record. Give them a few eyes and well see just how maintained the fleet will be. Why rest on such a low hanging fruit bar when we have the opportunity to reach far higher? The DB has decades of service history and track record over an infinitely larger network compared to BL.

Brightline is a niche product that serves only a few stations. Not to mention it doesn't even have 5 years of service record. Give them a few eyes and well see just how maintained the fleet will be. Why rest on such a low hanging fruit bar when we have the opportunity to reach far higher? The DB has decades of service history and track record over an infinitely larger network compared to BL.
With Metrolinx in charge db won't be able to do much. Plus we don't even know how much of an impact they will actually have outside of building the overhead network.

Pretty sure that some Paris RER lines run double deck trains of 10+ cars…. at 2 minute headways. Sure, it can be done. The question is, will we need it. I suspect not, for a very long time.
NJT on the NEC is an example of a property that runs single level EMU’s off peak but brings out longer loco hauled trains for peak periods. If I were to pick a comparable property, NJT is the one I would study.

- Paul

For something like that, I think we'd need a wholesale cultural change, including zoning and other infra in addition to the raiilways. Transit in Japan, like bikes in Holland, isn't just infrastructure. It's very cultural and changing people's minds is way harder than building rails (and we struggle enough with the later).

None but I'm going by video that I've seen. I think people are very confused on here about types of trains that are used in Europe.
I see.

Still waiting to hear why these trains aren't as good. Also, what have you heard/read here that shows that people are confused about the types of trains in use?

People seem to think that if they aren't emu trains thet are going to be terrible and that the current trains should be scrapped. I honestly don't see that happening for awhile, i don't have any faith in metorolix having any service in the city of Toronto that people will use instead of the TTC unless they drop the fair by distance model that they think is the best thing since sliced bread. Go transit is a commuter rail system and always will be if they continue to operate the way they do now, dispite what snake oil they want to sell about how they want to regonalize everything .
Re: EMU trains, this is by far not a consensus opinion here. The most consistent reason I’ve heard is that it opens up possibilities for future infill stations in Toronto, which is accurate. Not worth losing sleep over.

Unfortunately the rest of your response did not explain why European commuter trains aren’t as good, or why the GO is that much better. I’m still at a loss as to why you made that comment in the first place. Especially when in your latest response you’re basically saying that Metrolinx is the dumps, can’t be trusted, is peddling snake oil and more.

Last edited:
At any rate, there’s wide variation within Europe as to commuter rail. The few systems I’ve ridden are generally nice. Some lines in some countries have really great frequency (~10-15 mins or less) and other lines operate more like a purely commuter service. In general the trains were nice. I really didn’t care if they were loco-hauled or EMUs. IIRC (and this is from memory) most systems were zone-based, not fare-by-distance. This can be a big deal if you’re traveling within the central city.

GO is actually pretty good - but even during peak times could be better. Off-peak service needs a sharp improvement. If you’re talking 1-hour+ headways at any point, you’re far better off driving because you get the flexibility of leaving when you want.

GO is actually pretty good - but even during peak times could be better. Off-peak service needs a sharp improvement. If you’re talking 1-hour+ headways at any point, you’re far better off driving because you get the flexibility of leaving when you want.

GO WAS getting pretty good starting in 2018 and getting better every year.. The pandemic killed that. GO currently sucks right now. But hopefully service will resume soon...I hope.

Whats cool is that they didn't stop building the new projects like 2nd tracks and 2 sided station platforms. So hopefully when service does ramp up, we're gonna see some awesome improvements.

Fleet news.

Fleet news.

Is this for electric locos or new diesel ones?

Back