News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 568     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Yes, I am aware of what transpired.

If a person asks for an update on equipment, and none is available, why is a response necessary? What is being achieved by trolling someone by making up stories of freshly refurbished equipment being scrapped? All this does is make it much harder to go back to the thread if you need to refer to some information later on. I don't particularly care to see forumers settling scores with each other, there are private chatrooms for that.

To pull us back on topic. With Ontario Northland’s recent purchase of 3 Siemens Charger trainsets, does this make it more likely that GO will pick Siemens for their diesel locomotive tender? Would make sense for parts etc, but I am not sure how Siemens could deliver the first units by the 2024 deadline, as their plant is super busy.
I have a feeling that we'll really only know the options until, as MX stated they will, more information is given by the new year.

To pull us back on topic. With Ontario Northland’s recent purchase of 3 Siemens Charger trainsets, does this make it more likely that GO will pick Siemens for their diesel locomotive tender? Would make sense for parts etc, but I am not sure how Siemens could deliver the first units by the 2024 deadline, as their plant is super busy.
I think Siemens is booked solid with Amtrak orders unless they plan to open another plant in Ontario...

Is MPI still offering the MP54’s?
MPI doesn't exist anymore, ever since Wabtec and GE merged, the Boise, Idaho plant (where all the MPXpress locomotives were built) was closed in 2020. Wabtec is currently not listing the MP54 for sale, so it is very unlikely MP54s would be offered.

Siemens chargers do not much the height of the bi levels, Go has.
Though not a perfect match, the SC-44 Charger is pretty close.
1671430647927.jpeg

I have a nagging feeling (which has been wrong before) that the EMD F125 might be a winner here, just based on the charger order backlogs. Anything but the SD70MACH please.

Though not a perfect match, the SC-44 Charger is pretty close.
View attachment 446157

I have a nagging feeling (which has been wrong before) that the EMD F125 might be a winner here, just based on the charger order backlogs. Anything but the SD70MACH please.
In terms of matching well with the Bi-Levels, those match far better than the current MPI locomotives do.

Considering that GO is an EMD/Cummins shop I think it's unlikely for them to go to a Caterpillar platform. More MP54's could be a possibility...

GO has had experience with Caterpillar engines for far longer than it has with Cummins. Not that any of that makes the slightest bit of a difference.....in many respects, a diesel engine is a diesel engine. It's only when they need to be taken apart that they start to differ in maintenance.

MPI doesn't exist anymore, ever since Wabtec and GE merged, the Boise, Idaho plant (where all the MPXpress locomotives were built) was closed in 2020. Wabtec is currently not listing the MP54 for sale, so it is very unlikely MP54s would be offered.

Just because the factory is closed doesn't mean that they can't continue to build the product. Wabtec has the designs still. Creating new jigs for components is no problem as the price per unit is far higher than for a freight loco, which are all built to basically the their own same designs. Money talks.

Siemens chargers do not much the height of the bi levels, Go has.

And why does this matter?

Dan

Back