News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 923     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 357     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

You know, this is a personal theory of mine, but I feel like another reason why GO opted to reactivate 200-214 could be due to the 13 new locos that are on order.

As of right now GO has 88 cab cars (81 CEMs + 7 Classic Cab Cars)
GO also has 91 locomotives (66 MP40s + 17 MP54s + 8 F59s)

You add 200-214 to the list of cab cars you get 15 extra cab cars, bumping up the number of cab cars to 103. Likewise you add those 13 new locos and the number of locos get's bumped up to 104.

All in all that leaves GO with 104 locomotives and 103 cab cars.
Funny you mention this, as the tender for the new locomotives closes today at 3:00 PM. In addition to the 13 locomotives in the tender, GO will have an option for 20+ (ish) more. Very curious to see who submits a bid.

Makes me wonder if we will see more cabs restored to their former glory, or a new order for a few more. If new ones are ordered, my nightmare scenario is an order from CRRC like Montreal did. I'm now into speculation territory, and will stop lol.

Makes me wonder if we will see more cabs restored to their former glory, or a new order for a few more.
Well, the 2004-2006 old cab cars being refurbished by Alstom will likely be converted into coaches. However, there is the in between group of ex cab cars (215-241), that have no definitive plan as to what will occur to them.

Someone in this forum previously stated that 215-241 could be added on to the 200-214 refurbishment order, which could mean that they could be reactivated. I think that if 20+ extra locos are added, then there is a good chance 215-241 could get reactivated as well.

Funny you mention this, as the tender for the new locomotives closes today at 3:00 PM. In addition to the 13 locomotives in the tender, GO will have an option for 20+ (ish) more. Very curious to see who submits a bid.

Makes me wonder if we will see more cabs restored to their former glory, or a new order for a few more. If new ones are ordered, my nightmare scenario is an order from CRRC like Montreal did. I'm now into speculation territory, and will stop lol.
If they get anything other than MPI, that's going to be 16 oddballs in the fleet. Are chargers an option?

If they get anything other than MPI, that's going to be 16 oddballs in the fleet. Are chargers an option?
GO doesn’t have a homogeneous fleet right now-
F59PH - EMD710
MP40 OG - EMD710
MP40 - QSK60x2 but DC motors (647)
MP40(T4) - QSK60x2 and AC motors

16 locomotives would be at or more than the entire fleet of many North American commuter railroads.

So the locomotive tender is for 13 initially with an option for 20 more it seems. If exercised, it would be 33 locomotives in total. Source below:

I think Siemens would have trouble meeting the required delivery timeline, as they have a bazillion orders from everyone (Amtrak, VIA, Brightline, Exo, etc.).

I personally hope the F125 is the winner (if it even is an option). Metrolink (not Metrolinx) had some initial teething issues with them but it seems to be sorted out now. They look great in my opinion.

0A139E19-4851-42E7-8092-AE509D2541B1.jpeg

So the locomotive tender is for 13 initially with an option for 20 more it seems. If exercised, it would be 33 locomotives in total. Source below:

I think Siemens would have trouble meeting the required delivery timeline, as they have a bazillion orders from everyone (Amtrak, VIA, Brightline, Exo, etc.).

I personally hope the F125 is the winner (if it even is an option). Metrolink (not Metrolinx) had some initial teething issues with them but it seems to be sorted out now. They look great in my opinion.

View attachment 427029
Does the Siemens charger use wabco control stands? Is that something the customer can specify?

GO doesn’t have a homogeneous fleet right now-
F59PH - EMD710
MP40 OG - EMD710
MP40 - QSK60x2 but DC motors (647)
MP40(T4) - QSK60x2 and AC motors

16 locomotives would be at or more than the entire fleet of many North American commuter railroads.

And with the MP40’s now reaching mid-life (yes, it has been that long…..), there’s a tipping point economically and mechanically

- Paul

View attachment 427029
I’m still bitter about their exit from Ontario and move to a state with shittier labour laws.

Back