1.2K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 961     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     3 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Also the weird half open upstairs lmao
But I love that whacky upper level... 🥺
Always thought it was the coolest thing (train design) ever, ever since I first saw it in Source code
EB20110331REVIEWS110339997AR.jpg

5971294859_fbecc26250_b.jpg

Some interesting sentiments about it;

But I love that whacky upper level... 🥺
Always thought it was the coolest thing (train design) ever, ever since I first saw it in Source code
View attachment 568577
View attachment 568576

Some interesting sentiments about it;
If those are luggage racks in the middle, wouldn't the luggage fall if unstable?

The upper deck of these gallery cars look incredibly inefficient in terms of usage of space. That rack in the middle is a total waste of space

Wel, it's a fairly old design and not meant to be a truly double deck car, as has been designed more recently. Think of it as a fairly conventional but oversize car shell that in effect provides 3-3 seating. An improvement over earlier traditional coaches. A major selling point was the ability for the conductor to collect tickets from both levels in one pass through the car.

There were other interesting designs once upon a time. http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/doubledecker.htm

- Paul

Last edited:
The upper deck of these gallery cars look incredibly inefficient in terms of usage of space. That rack in the middle is a total waste of space
There's nothing else that can go there, though.

You have to consider that the lower floor of these things is the standard ~48" off of the top of the rail. People need to stand up to travel down the length of the car, and having a full-width upper level would prevent that.

As it is, the single seats upstairs are cantilevered off of the sides of the car, over top of the seats on the bottom level.

This is why true double-deck cars have a dropped lower level.

Dan

Back