News   Jun 18, 2024
 135     0 
News   Jun 18, 2024
 338     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 1.2K     4 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Have they already ordered any electric locos? If so, any pics? If they want to start electrification soon then they better get a move on.

Have they already ordered any electric locos? If so, any pics? If they want to start electrification soon then they better get a move on.

Procuring electrical switchgear and power control system components, and stringing and commissioning the wires, takes even longer than procuring locomotives. Plenty of time yet.

- Paul

We know that Alstom will be providing the new electric locomotives, and this quick peek slipped out in an Alstom video last year. Still looks like an early design. Unsure if the order has been put through officially yet, because I would assume that Alstom would want to announce it.

1718201634299.png

We know that Alstom will be providing the new electric locomotives, and this quick peek slipped out in an Alstom video last year. Still looks like an early design. Unsure if the order has been put through officially yet, because I would assume that Alstom would want to announce it.

View attachment 571686
While it's a nice rendition and will likely be used in marketing the impending electrification of the system, I would not give it too much attention as far as it being a guideline to what the actual locomotives will look like. There are far too many details missing from it, not the least of which are some major regulatory requirements.

Dan

While it's a nice rendition and will likely be used in marketing the impending electrification of the system, I would not give it too much attention as far as it being a guideline to what the actual locomotives will look like. There are far too many details missing from it, not the least of which are some major regulatory requirements.

Dan
Agree. And it might not be the only electric product we get from Alstom either.

Procuring electrical switchgear and power control system components, and stringing and commissioning the wires, takes even longer than procuring locomotives. Plenty of time yet.

- Paul

Technically there is lots of time as the openings can be pushed back to infinity. If Metrolinx was smart, which I admit is a really big stretch, they would begin electrifying in sections as opposed to doing it all at once.

If all the core electrified lines are to be running by, for example 2028, it would be far more prudent to concentrate on individual lines as opposed to doing them all at the same time. This would mean that certain lines would be open a couple years earlier and with nearly 40% of GO's operational budget, GO would see more faster financial gains.

Reactions: PL1
Technically there is lots of time as the openings can be pushed back to infinity. If Metrolinx was smart, which I admit is a really big stretch, they would begin electrifying in sections as opposed to doing it all at once.

If all the core electrified lines are to be running by, for example 2028, it would be far more prudent to concentrate on individual lines as opposed to doing them all at the same time. This would mean that certain lines would be open a couple years earlier and with nearly 40% of GO's operational budget, GO would see more faster financial gains.
First section was to be open in 2019 by replacing UPX DMU's with EMU's and that remain as #1. Bramalea could be #2, but with Whitby yard ready for electrification, the east end would be #1

View attachment 571686
They look very similar to the ACS-64 locomotives Amtrak is using. Is this intentional? Or is this the way they rendered it?

Back