News   Aug 01, 2024
 337     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 438     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 476     1 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Caught 668 at Union as 2nd unit on a westbound train on platform 5/6 around 7 pm today. No idea which line it was on. Out for testing/burn-in. I was a few platforms away and no screen to tell which train it was.
Photos to follow.

May 17
668 on unknown train mu to another one in front of it going westbound at Union.
27369697677_11635c0127_b.jpg

27369698927_af5fa94232_b.jpg

^
[...]
The experience gained from unit 647 will demonstrate engine reliability and control and a completely new remote health monitoring system – CDS (central diagnostic system), which will feed into the design for 16 new MP40PHT-T4AC units equipped with ABB AC traction propulsion technology, scheduled for delivery in 2017/18. The addition of the AC traction equipment will not only bring the benefits of greater adhesion control and improved reliability but helps reduce weight and space required by the DC equipment and allowing more room for the after-treatment equipment.

Steve Cavanaugh, P. Eng., is chief rail equipment engineering, Rail Fleet & Facilities, at Go Transit.

http://www.masstransitmag.com/article/12169127/meeting-tier-4

^I think the person was referring to 647 because that was the modified units. The 668 in the picture is a complete new build and part of a different order.

^I think the person was referring to 647 because that was the modified units. The 668 in the picture is a complete new build and part of a different order.
The quote I replied to was replying to a quote about 668 by saying they "hope it loses it's babysitter quicker than 647"....so, no, they were not talking about 647, they were talking about 668 by referring to 647....then I replied by posting a status update on 668.

Are these locos net new or replacing older units?

Are these locos net new or replacing older units?

I believe technically net new. However, in the next bunch of years GO's remaining F59s will be retired. These new guys have two engines, so one can be shut off so they can run more efficiently. I saw some rumours that they could be used for 16-car trains on the Milton line, however I don't think these rumours hold much water due to platform size issues. Also they are Tier 4 diesel, making them much more clean than the current fleet.

I wonder if anyone will remember the Dalton McGinty promise to use Tier 4 locos on the Kitchener line as soon as they are available..... IIRC it was a condition of the EA approval for GTS and may be legally binding.

- Paul

Back