News   Apr 26, 2024
 89     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 407     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

I wonder if anyone will remember the Dalton McGinty promise to use Tier 4 locos on the Kitchener line as soon as they are available..... IIRC it was a condition of the EA approval for GTS and may be legally binding.

- Paul

Glenn Murray also promised the UP Express would be electrified by 2017. But that's not legally binding, just Glenn-style stuff. Tbh I wish that had happened.

Its more than that - the next 8 or 9 units are ready to go. They are all pending the wrapping up of the testing of the 3 units already here, and then the implementation of any upgrades or changes.

Are these locos net new or replacing older units?

There are no plans to retire the 8 F59PHs at this time. The 16 of these new units will all be for more service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Nope. More than enough equipment on hand already - that service will be using equipment that would otherwise be sitting idle during the middle of the day.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Any word on requirements before 15min offpeak LSW is able to happen?

Bridge replacements, additional track, etc?

Glenn Murray also promised the UP Express would be electrified by 2017. But that's not legally binding, just Glenn-style stuff. Tbh I wish that had happened.

What sucks is that the EA was done and Toronto Hydro signed off on it, and now its going to be so long until they actually do it another EA and signoff will probably be required.

It takes about 90 seconds to convert from Pan to Diesel or the other way. Miss the conversion for the outbound 2 train where the sound is different from the inbound.

Not sure if this will show the different in speed for arriving and departing station for EMU compared to what GO has.

Watch out for the rain

Any word on requirements before 15min offpeak LSW is able to happen?

Bridge replacements, additional track, etc?

I don't know, to be honest. It may be that CN feels that they can't have too many GO trains intruding on their own freights. But if they did even just a little bit of schedule rejigging, they could have 15 minute service to Oakville with no changes to the fixed plant. And 15 minute service to Burlington wouldn't be much of a stretch beyond that, either.

Not sure if this will show the different in speed for arriving and departing station for EMU compared to what GO has.

Watch out for the rain

One has to remember that the MR90s are also geared for a maximum speed of 65mph, rather than the 83 or 93mph of the GO locos.. This alone means that they can accelerate much faster than a GO loco. Braking is no different - a GO train will hit the end of a platform doing about 45mph, and it looks like the crews in Montreal aim for about the same speed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I don't know, to be honest. It may be that CN feels that they can't have too many GO trains intruding on their own freights. But if they did even just a little bit of schedule rejigging, they could have 15 minute service to Oakville with no changes to the fixed plant. And 15 minute service to Burlington wouldn't be much of a stretch beyond that, either.
Sounds like once CN is satisfied (after grain bottleneck year) and the new Oakville RTC is running, it's doable without a major pre-requisite.

I suppose the real fun stuff begins when they try to replace some bridges as planned, due to track shutdowns? All these factors combined must mean the safety margin is too inconsistent for at least a couple years(ish). Doable, but GO feels it is too dicey for now?

Last edited:

Back