News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 998     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

Not true

It will take 8-10 years for the whole project.

I am making an assumption but I imagine they will focus on getting Bramalea to Union and Lakeshore East done first, within 5 years. They are the closest ready with other works (grade sep, etc) complete.

You dont need to build the whole system out at once.

I actually change my original estimate. I'm going to say 2034/2035 until we see a line electrified.

So, the plan to build an EMU maintenance facility on the Lowes site near Humberview is dead ?

- Paul

Not that I'm aware of.. But that would be a purpose-built facility for whatever fleet of vehicles gets used for the UPX, and will be nowhere close to big enough to handle the main GO fleet.

Dan

I think it's simply "because they can". They own the entire corridor.
I've never understood the logic of electrifying the Barrie Line north of Aurora.
Newmarket has 90k people. The density is there. Bradford? I agree. They have a layover there though.

Last edited:
GO is electrifying as much as their corridor as they can. I believe they are electrifying Stouffville right up to Lincolnville as well, despite planning to run only peak hour services past Markham. Barrie is at least going to receive all-day service.

The other corridor's electrification areas end when they reach a portion of the corridor which is owned by CN/CP.

Why is it going to take 8 to 10 years to complete? RER is suppose to be done by 2026 and even in Toronto it' doesn't take a decade to put up 250km of wires. That could be done in 2 to 3 years tops.
I actually change my original estimate. I'm going to say 2034/2035 until we see a line electrified.
I doubt that. If I were to guess, the 2030 estimate that Metrolinx is throwing around is probably under the assumption that the system will open in phases. For instance, since we have a head start with the new infrastructure on the Kitchener and Stouffville Lines, we might see those lines electrified first, and even then limited sections. For instance, Stouffville might be electrified up until Unionville, and Barrie electrified up until Aurora. Then it will be extended to Lincolnville and Allandale respectively. The 2031 estimate that GO is throwing around is probably when all of the proposed projects will be completed, not some end date where everything will open all at once.

Caltrain's electrification is currently scheduled to last 8 years between awarding the contract and running the first train in service. That's for 49 km of double-tracked lines (around 120 track-km mainline plus maintenance/storage facilities).
Knipsel.JPG

GO's electrification is for 260 km of lines of varying widths (687 track-km), and electrifying Union Station will be considerably more complex than electrifying San Francisco's King Street station, which doesn't even have a trainshed. The new south platforms at Union are being designed with overhead wires from day one, but at least some of the historical plaforms also need to be electrified before a single electric service can start running. I suspect that the planned reconfiguration of the USRC west of the station would be the limiting factor for the speed implementation, given that Metrolinx won't want to electrify tracks that they're about to demolish anyway.

As depressing as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if 2031 is indeed the start of electrified revenue service on the central portions of the core network (e.g. to Oakville, Bramalea/Pearson, Aurora, Unionville, Oshawa) with the remainder of the core network (to Burlington, Barrie, Lincolnville) coming online incrementally afterward. From a railfan perspective, the bright side is that electric trains will start testing much earlier than that. My guess is that they will start by electrifying between Pickering to Oshawa as a testing segment since the Whitby yard is already designed for electric trains.

Last edited:
Caltrain's electrification is currently scheduled to last 8 years between awarding the contract and running the first train in service. That's for 49 km of double-tracked lines (around 120 track-km mainline plus maintenance/storage facilities).
View attachment 371046

GO's electrification is for 260 km of lines of varying widths (687 track-km), and electrifying Union Station will be considerably more complex than electrifying San Francisco's King Street station, which doesn't even have a trainshed. The new south platforms are being designed with overhead wires from day one, but at least some of the historical plaforms also need to be electrified before a single electric service can start running.

As depressing as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if 2031 is indeed the start of electrified revenue service on the central portions of the core network (e.g. to Oakville, Bramalea/Pearson, Aurora, Unionville, Oshawa) with the remainder of the core network (to Burlington, Barrie, Lincolnville) coming online incrementally afterward. From a railfan perspective, the bright side is that electric trains will start testing much earlier than that. My guess is that they will start by electrifying between Pickering to Oshawa as a testing segment since the Whitby yard is already designed for electric trains.
in terms of the union train shed. i do recall a document releasing a few months back about metrolinx using a certain type of wiring that fits the shed fine. might have been under the heritage thing for platform 20/21
i dont think its that complex

View attachment 371046

GO's electrification is for 260 km of lines of varying widths (687 track-km), and electrifying Union Station will be considerably more complex than electrifying San Francisco's King Street station, which doesn't even have a trainshed. The new south platforms are being designed with overhead wires from day one, but at least some of the historical plaforms also need to be electrified before a single electric service can start running.

What was the original RER projection again? 2026?

What was the original RER projection again? 2026?

Something like that, but I believe that timeline required closing on early-works (Union platform restructuring, LakreShore West, ...) in 2018 and the main OnCorr tender in 2019.

Metrolinx missed a bunch of stuff in the EA (requiring another) and the entire P3 tender structure was rejected by bidders (largely a result of how Metrolinx handled the Bombardier LRTs and Eglinton delays).

Last edited:

Back