News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

would be interested to know whether the up express intends to electrify by the end of the go expansion.
thats not a part of oncor right?
wait if theyre electrifying kitchener to georgetown, then all they need would be new trains and a few ocs poles on the guideway to pearson right?

would be interested to know whether the up express intends to electrify by the end of the go expansion.
thats not a part of oncor right?
wait if theyre electrifying kitchener to georgetown, then all they need would be new trains and a few ocs poles on the guideway to pearson right?

The foundations for the electrical poles are already on the guideway so it seems like a no brainer...but this Metrolinx we are talking about.

Why is it going to take 8 to 10 years to complete? RER is suppose to be done by 2026 and even in Toronto it' doesn't take a decade to put up 250km of wires. That could be done in 2 to 3 years tops.

Why is it going to take 8 to 10 years to complete? RER is suppose to be done by 2026 and even in Toronto it' doesn't take a decade to put up 250km of wires. That could be done in 2 to 3 years tops.
That's probably too many assumptions.

More seriously, it's not just electrification. There's new track, new grade separations, new switches. There's preliminary work like the Davenport Diamond and 401/409 tunnel that have to be completed before work can start, and that might be a few years. All that has to be done while GO service is (mostly) functioning. We haven't seen the proposals yet, but it's more than just wires. Trains need to be built and tested and shipped to Toronto - and the Flexity fiasco should have taught us not to hope for quick deliveries.

I found this map:
1639697238418.png

https://www.metrolinxengage.com/sit..._-_go_expansion_feb_2020_-_revised_feb_13.pdf

Most likely won't see any trains electrified until at least 2031/2032.

That's probably too many assumptions.

More seriously, it's not just electrification. There's new track, new grade separations, new switches. There's preliminary work like the Davenport Diamond and 401/409 tunnel that have to be completed before work can start, and that might be a few years. All that has to be done while GO service is (mostly) functioning. We haven't seen the proposals yet, but it's more than just wires. Trains need to be built and tested and shipped to Toronto - and the Flexity fiasco should have taught us not to hope for quick deliveries.

I found this map:
View attachment 369690

https://www.metrolinxengage.com/sit..._-_go_expansion_feb_2020_-_revised_feb_13.pdf
that link is for the edited expansion tpaps done in 2020. doesnt include the entirety of the go expansion project

that link is for the edited expansion tpaps done in 2020. doesnt include the entirety of the go expansion project
That further proves my point - it's an enormous project that's really complicated.

Most likely won't see any trains electrified until at least 2031/2032.
Not true

It will take 8-10 years for the whole project.

I am making an assumption but I imagine they will focus on getting Bramalea to Union and Lakeshore East done first, within 5 years. They are the closest ready with other works (grade sep, etc) complete.

You dont need to build the whole system out at once.

I doubt Lakeshore East will be the rush due to the complete reconstruction of the corridor through Leslieville that is required. There are also 3 grade separations needed in Scarborough.

I agree that we could be seeing Kitchener done quite soon as a lot of early works are ongoing and it doesn't need a ton of trackwork, a lot of which is already underway in separate contracts.

Lakeshore West has a couple of grade seperations that need to be done (Bur Oak and Kerr) but it also otherwise mostly just minor track work.

Not true

It will take 8-10 years for the whole project.

I am making an assumption but I imagine they will focus on getting Bramalea to Union and Lakeshore East done first, within 5 years. They are the closest ready with other works (grade sep, etc) complete.

You dont need to build the whole system out at once.
remember the ontario line pretty much prevents LSE 4th track completion until 2028/2029. and electrification to come afterwards

I doubt Lakeshore East will be the rush due to the complete reconstruction of the corridor through Leslieville that is required. There are also 3 grade separations needed in Scarborough.

I agree that we could be seeing Kitchener done quite soon as a lot of early works are ongoing and it doesn't need a ton of trackwork, a lot of which is already underway in separate contracts.

Lakeshore West has a couple of grade seperations that need to be done (Bur Oak and Kerr) but it also otherwise mostly just minor track work.
remember the ontario line pretty much prevents LSE 4th track completion until 2028/2029. and electrification to come afterwards
So, since everyone seems to forget about this.....

Whatever new equipment is purchased for electrification needs to be maintained somewhere. There are no plans (at this time) to create a new maintenance facility to take care of them, so they will have to be maintained at one of the two existing facilities, and possibly both.

This means that either a decent section of the Lakeshore West and almost the entirety of the Lakeshore East - or both - will need to be electrified from the outset.

Dan

So, since everyone seems to forget about this.....

Whatever new equipment is purchased for electrification needs to be maintained somewhere. There are no plans (at this time) to create a new maintenance facility to take care of them, so they will have to be maintained at one of the two existing facilities, and possibly both.

This means that either a decent section of the Lakeshore West and almost the entirety of the Lakeshore East - or both - will need to be electrified from the outset.

Dan

So, the plan to build an EMU maintenance facility on the Lowes site near Humberview is dead ?

The other thing to note is that Willowbrook wasn’t built with electric overhead roughed in and clearances assured…… but Whitby was.

- Paul

I should have been more specific as when I said GO I just meant the RER portion.

Yes, I know it not just throwing up some wires but a decade for 250km of track is something that can still be done in 2 or max 3 years after the specific corridor upgrades are done.

Back