News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 407     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I would say NIMBY's are logical. It is logical for me to want someone else to keep thing as quiet as possible.

They are not Vulcans since they do not beleive in the saying "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"

Bingo

A 6th trainset is supposed to be added before the end of the year. As well, 2 of the trainsets will be reconfigured to L12s, which will at least allow for some more seats on those trains.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I see that they added the most useless train, a northbound 3:18p train to Unionville while completely ignoring the congestion in rush hour. 5 rush hour trains is a joke, and adding cars to existing trains just make the congestion at the parking lots worse than it already is, thus adding more time to my commute as the traffic is worse.

Two things need to happen on the Stouffville line
1. Express trains
2. More trains

I see that they added the most useless train, a northbound 3:18p train to Unionville while completely ignoring the congestion in rush hour. 5 rush hour trains is a joke, and adding cars to existing trains just make the congestion at the parking lots worse than it already is, thus adding more time to my commute as the traffic is worse.

Two things need to happen on the Stouffville line
1. Express trains
2. More trains

Longer trains are still an improvement though. If nothing else, it feels safer now without the extreme crowding. I'll give GO full credit for that!

I see the 3rd track for the flyunder is finally being install with the west end being done first at Bathurst St.

The track will have to have a kink in it to get around the signal mast or the mast will have to be move. The new rails are not connected to the mainline at this time.

The east end is ready for the track.

I highly doubt that they'll leave the signal mast as is. In the past they've removed signal masts that were in the way and replaced them with pot(ground) lights. I'd imagine the location of the signals will be changing continuously in the area until the final track configuration for the Weston/Galt/Oakville sub junction is completed years from now.

I highly doubt that they'll leave the signal mast as is. In the past they've removed signal masts that were in the way and replaced them with pot(ground) lights. I'd imagine the location of the signals will be changing continuously in the area until the final track configuration for the Weston/Galt/Oakville sub junction is completed years from now.

Unless they apply for a rule change - which I don't think is in the cards - they aren't installing dwarfs there. That is supposed to be upgraded to a 60mph zone, so there will likely be a large bridge installed there.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Erindale GO Station

The new parking garage is schedule to open, Cough, Cough June 14, 2013.

Based on what I saw today, it will/should happen.

The south 3rd floor is pour and the north section completed to the point the #2 crane should be gone by the end of Oct.

Since this was a design and built contract by the contractor, a few hiccup have happen so far.

The steel walkway bridge is up with most of the steel framing for the platform stairs in place. Should be finish steel wise in the next week or 2.

The steel framing for the new station is complete and it is in the centre of the parking structure area beside the new walkway.

The walkway over Burnhamthorpe is still close and no surprise to me and it will most likely not open until winter 2013.

The new sidewalk and driveway on Burnhamthorpe is waiting for the retaining wall to be built before they can be built. The area has been dug and anchor for the retaining wall.

Photos to follow at some late date.

The new parking garage is schedule to open, Cough, Cough June 14, 2013.

Based on what I saw today, it will/should happen.

The south 3rd floor is pour and the north section completed to the point the #2 crane should be gone by the end of Oct.

Since this was a design and built contract by the contractor, a few hiccup have happen so far.

The steel walkway bridge is up with most of the steel framing for the platform stairs in place. Should be finish steel wise in the next week or 2.

The steel framing for the new station is complete and it is in the centre of the parking structure area beside the new walkway.

The walkway over Burnhamthorpe is still close and no surprise to me and it will most likely not open until winter 2013.

The new sidewalk and driveway on Burnhamthorpe is waiting for the retaining wall to be built before they can be built. The area has been dug and anchor for the retaining wall.

Photos to follow at some late date.

IMAG0385.jpg
IMAG0386.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0385.jpg
    IMAG0385.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 315
  • IMAG0386.jpg
    IMAG0386.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 316
Governments of Canada and Ontario Announce Public-Private Partnership to Expand GO Services

September 20, 2012

Read More: http://www.fin.gc.ca/n12/12-107-eng.asp

The Honourable Jim Flaherty, Minister of Finance, and the Honourable Bob Chiarelli, Ontario Minister of Infrastructure and Minister of Transportation, announced their governments’ support for a public-private partnership (P3) to build the GO Transit East Rail Maintenance Facility. The joint investment in this facility is one of the most important investments in support of Metrolinx’s regional transportation plan, The Big Move.

“This facility will improve and expand access to rail services; make it easier and faster to get people and goods where they need to go; and support sustainable urban development that leads to stronger communities and a higher quality of life,†said Minister Flaherty. “By delivering this project as a P3, we can realize greater savings and efficiency in the delivery of this much-needed facility while reinforcing our Government’s commitment to jobs, growth and long-term prosperity.â€

“The new maintenance and storage facility supports GO Transit’s expansions, including our commitment to bring two-way, all-day GO train service to commuters in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area,†said Minister Chiarelli. “The McGuinty government’s unprecedented public transit investments continue to make taking transit a better choice for commuters and helps reduce congestion on our roads and contributes to a better quality of life for Ontario families.â€

A private partner will be chosen through a competitive selection process to design, build finance and maintain the building, which will be located in the Town of Whitby. With significant population growth in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area, the facility is a top transit priority and will allow Metrolinx’s operating division, GO Transit, to expand maintenance capacity and increase ridership on all existing GO lines.

“The addition of this facility will allow GO Transit to provide more rail service to commuters in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area, increase our maintenance capacity and improve efficiency and effectiveness of service,†said Gary McNeil, president of GO Transit. “It will support further transit investment and integration in the area in addition to other transit projects identified in The Big Move.â€

The Government of Canada will contribute up to $94.8 million through the P3 Canada Fund towards eligible construction and implementation costs. The Ontario government will contribute 75 per cent of the final project cost.

The facility will include:

• 18 storage tracks

• an electrical substation for power supply to facility and trains

• progressive maintenance bays for train inspection and maintenance

• coach, diesel, paint and wheel shops

• locomotive and train wash buildings

• a fuelling station

• staff offices

Governments of Canada and Ontario Announce Public-Private Partnership to Expand GO Services

Is this something we knew was coming? It's the first I have heard of it. A key benefit I can see right away is keeping a lot more service running when something goes wrong and trains can't get out of Mimico.

Is this something we knew was coming? It's the first I have heard of it. A key benefit I can see right away is keeping a lot more service running when something goes wrong and trains can't get out of Mimico.

I'd imagine it's not really new news, and that it's coupled to the already mentioned and intended expanded all-day service that GO has been planning for a while now. Those extra trains would have had to been stored somewhere.

I went by there last week and it looks like it's already under construction. At least, the site is being cleared. It's the area between Victoria St and the tracks in southeast Whitby, between Blair and Hopkins. Part of the site was formerly Sklar Furniture. (Does this mean that they'll eliminate the Hopkins St level crossing? It crosses 4 tracks, which has got to be something of a record in a non-yard area.)

It's been in the planning stages for years now. I was actually wondering why they hadn't started construction yet, I completely forgot about the mandatory photo-op & news releases that are require before a project of this magnitude is allowed to proceed. :p
(In all seriousness they probably needed to complete final preparations re: design aspects, selecting contractors etc, etc. just seemed like it was talking a really long time)

The only line it will help if there is a problem is the Lakeshore East line since the next nearest line will be some 30miles away(50km).

The Hopkins st over pass will be demolished and then rebuilt(also the nearby South Blair level crossing will be eliminated and made into an underpass). The new bridge will end up crossing alot more then 4 tracks in the future(which is not any kind of record for crossing mainline tracks, in fact there are more than a dozen bridges which cross over the 4 track Oakville sub in Toronto's west end alone). In terms of impressive road bridges in the GTA crossing a large number of railroad tracks, mainline or otherwise, nothing compares to the Islington bridge imo;
str_islbr01.jpg

http://www.planmac.com/structures_01.htm

Yeah, it was the Blair St level crossing I meant.

I spent eight months living in Port Whitby when I was in high school; I should have remembered. :)

It's been in the planning stages for years now. I was actually wondering why they hadn't started construction yet, I completely forgot about the mandatory photo-op & news releases that are require before a project of this magnitude is allowed to proceed. :p
(In all seriousness they probably needed to complete final preparations re: design aspects, selecting contractors etc, etc. just seemed like it was talking a really long time)

It's true that the facility has been planned for a while, but no funding had been allocated to it until now. In fact, I still don't think that they have the funding yet for the extension of service to the east - just the maintenance facility.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back