News   Jul 12, 2024
 981     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 852     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 346     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I've noticed that we seem to be getting to Union much earlier than the scheduled arrival time and then waiting to pull in. Hopefully with new signals we can better realize the potential of the new, faster locomotives and shave at least 5 minutes off each trip.
I've noticed the Lakeshore East trains seem to be getting into Union a minute or two earlier as well many days in recent months. I know they were in the long process of upgrading the track speed on the eastern approach from 15 miles/hr to 30 miles/hr, with the new switches. Is this now complete?

A 6th trainset is supposed to be added before the end of the year.
I don't recall seeing the addition of any additional trainsets in the Metrolinx 2012-2013 budget material that came out at the last meeting.

Last edited:
Now that Milton has 8 trains in and out, are they going to be adding any more trains any time soon or....?

I don't recall seeing the addition of any additional trainsets in the Metrolinx 2012-2013 budget material that came out at the last meeting.
Turns out the 6th trainset is being added September 4th, northbound, to Unionville. Only completely new train I can see anywhere in the Fall schedule changes.

Though we are sliding off-topic for this thread, as the schedule changes itself are being discussed in
urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/4952-GO-Transit-Service-thread-(including-extensions)

Turns out the 6th trainset is being added September 4th, northbound, to Unionville. Only completely new train I can see anywhere in the Fall schedule changes.

GO currently does provide that bus service, but it's not much good for peak service. For there are no departures from Acton to Georgetown between 2:18 pm and 5:33 pm!
This has been finally fixed in the new September 2012 schedule. New bus departures at 3:18 pm, 4:13 pm, and 5:13 pm.

And in the AM there are no departures from Georgetown to Acton between 7:14 AM and 10:00 AM!
This is also improved. New bus departure at 7:59 AM.

Though we are sliding off-topic for this thread, as the schedule changes itself are being discussed in
urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/4952-GO-Transit-Service-thread-(including-extensions)

There's a lot of construction equipment right beside Mimico station's south side. Any idea what this project is?

They are extending the platform so that it can service the new 4th track. As is, the platform was too far from the track which was previously only a yard lead.

I've noticed the Lakeshore East trains seem to be getting into Union a minute or two earlier as well many days in recent months. I know they were in the long process of upgrading the track speed on the eastern approach from 15 km/hr to 30 km/hr, with the new switches. Is this now complete?

First off, the railroads all operate in miles. TTR used to be a 30mph zone with 15mph over the crossovers, and they are in the process of improving it to a 60mph zone up to Sherbourne and 45mph west of there, with something like 25mph over the crossovers.

Ultimately I think the improved speeds are dependant on the new signalling system, which is still a very long ways away.

It seems to be a holdover from last year's budget. According the internal documents, it's still in the works.

Now that Milton has 8 trains in and out, are they going to be adding any more trains any time soon or....?

Not likely for a while. Not only would it require some work to Milton Yard (which is ultimately designed for 12 trains but only is capable of 8 right now), but I suspect that with the hiring of E. Hunter Harrison as CPRs CEO - someone who is notoriously anti-passenger - and him bringing in his favoured staff that it has just gotten that much harder to improve service on the Milton corridor.

That isn't the 6th trainset, but rather a trainset that is already doing a run somewhere else later in the afternoon.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Any chance this will be part of a station renovation/upgrade as well? I'd sure like another entrance...hopefully on the south side...
The station is to be redevelop along with parking if and when the new condo gets built where the current station is. That thing has been on the books for a few years and there was a redesign of it earlier this year or late last year. Can't remember the project name and don't have access to it while in Europe.

It would be a good time to move the yard leads to the north as there is enough room to do it. With the 2nd platform being lengthen and the new upgrading of the tracks for VIA and the fourth track, it will become a duel platform. It is the only one that can have an elevator added to it as the other one is too small.

The last time I was by the station in June, more track and switches were to be replace or added on the east end.

Any chance this will be part of a station renovation/upgrade as well? I'd sure like another entrance...hopefully on the south side...

Indeed.. I'd also like a network of paths to cross those parks. Right now you have to schlep through mud to get to the condos.

IMO - best would be to just close Mimico and build a proper station further towards the east. Straddling Park Lawn would be a good start.

Indeed.. I'd also like a network of paths to cross those parks. Right now you have to schlep through mud to get to the condos.

Totally agree, a pedestrian friendly access network from the east side (where much of the residential foot traffic originates) would be a great improvement, since the station has such a small foot print. Access from Manchester St would be a great start.

with something like 25mph over the crossovers.

Ultimately I think the improved speeds are dependant on the new signalling system, which is still a very long ways away.

But are the replacement slip-switches capable of 25mph? Its hard to believe since they aren't any longer than the ones that were in there before, unless those were actually capable of 25mph too and they were just being conservative when it came to speed (to reduced wear?).

But are the replacement slip-switches capable of 25mph? Its hard to believe since they aren't any longer than the ones that were in there before, unless those were actually capable of 25mph too and they were just being conservative when it came to speed (to reduced wear?).

The drawings I saw of the final track plan from the consulting company seemed to think so. I'll agree that it seemed a bit optimistic, but then again the "safe" speeds of most turnouts, crossovers and slip switches is far above what the actual scheduled/timetabled speed is.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That is in the station redevelopment plan.

Thanks for all your answers!

Is this redevelopment plan available online? If so, where?

I take go a couple of times a week and Mimico is truly a commuter-unfriendly, dingy station. Relying on the probably-cancelled condo to kick start revitalization is unrealistic.

Back