News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 881     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 354     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

It's always risky to take renderings too literally (although sometimes they reveal important details that no one has talked about) - but -

First, I reported what was approved in the TPAP, ie two station tracks and one "express" track. The TPAP is now almost a decade old. There have been various iterations to the plan since then, and so the TPAP is somewhat ancient history - except that, having gotten EA approval, it will be easier to proceed all the way to triple track if that is ever actually needed. But the best answer at the moment is - while parts of the corridor including Caledonia GO could possibly be built out to three tracks some day, and ML's construction includes futureproofing towards that, it's pretty clear that ML is not proceeding to that for the immediate future..

Second - has ML abandoned double track? If so, they aren't saying.... despite having repeatedly declared they are double tracking all the way to Maple at least. The roadbed segment south of Caledonia GO (ie the flyover, and northwards from it to just south of Eglinton) is clearly being prepared for double track, as is the segment from Lawrence up to Steeles. If ML is planning to leave a segment of single track from Eglinton to Lawrence, that's new information, and is a bit at odds with the premise of 2WAD on 15 minute or better headways. I would expect that a 2-platform station would be prudent if not essential for that level of traffic.

Possibly ML has changed its mind, or has decided on a service plan that offers only limited service at Caledonia, or ONExpress has offered a new view. OR possibly the second platform has been deferred for cash flow reasons. Or possibly it's just a disconnect between the designers and the PR people who asked for some fresh renderings..

If ML is now saying single track....I would say this is a classic example of ML changing its mind too frequently and not sticking with a plan.... as well as not being transparent about the scope of its work, and not being accountable for minimising rework and redundant re-planning. I continue to grind the axe about how detailed scope for all ML projects needs to be discoverable, and changes to scope need to be minuted and also discoverable.

BTW the EA for the Caledonia GO was initiated in April 2015 and the RFP for design of the station was let in July 2020. And here we are in July 2024, waiting to hear who is selected to build the station. Construction will take 3-4 years. This is not the steady expeditious flow of progress that Mr Verster waxes poetic about in Board meetings.

- Paul
Building only a single platform in the first phase made sense way back in the early 2010's when the station was originally designed, but now that construction has been delayed it seems that the station would open around the same time as the double track anyway. Failing to include the second platform in the first phase of the GO station construction could result in a similar situation that we had at Milliken station where a second track was built through the station, and then immediately demolished without ever having served a train to make room for construction of a second platform.

Building only a single platform in the first phase made sense way back in the early 2010's when the station was originally designed, but now that construction has been delayed it seems that the station would open around the same time as the double track anyway. Failing to include the second platform in the first phase of the GO station construction could result in a similar situation that we had at Milliken station where a second track was built through the station, and then immediately demolished without ever having served a train to make room for construction of a second platform.
similar to the situation with the roadworks on 16th ave across from the former buttonville airport. its taken so long to construct that the brand new short stubby street lights designed based on the run way restrictions are
obsolete before they even get a chance to power on since theres no longer any airport.... sad how slow things are here.. 🤣

Perhaps I'm wrong, and there will be express Lakeshore East trains in August (or September). Time will tell - but I doubt there will be.
I asked a Metrolinx employee about this and they said nothing till at least 2025 due to the ongoing construction on the LE line. Happy to be wrong cause the hour commute to end of the line is killing me.

Geotechnical work about to happen at Oakville GO in advance of the station rebuild (which we have pretty much no information about). See Metrolinx notice.
It’s the little details from ML that anger me most. They could have chosen any image of the station but they decided to copy & paste a highly technical one with no legend or description.

With so little information about the station improvements and the oil pipeline highlighted in the image, people will think they’re building tracks through the middle of the parking lot.

It’s the little details from ML that anger me most. They could have chosen any image of the station but they decided to copy & paste a highly technical one with no legend or description.

With so little information about the station improvements and the oil pipeline highlighted in the image, people will think they’re building tracks through the middle of the parking lot.
Also they claim that it's part of their work to bring service "every 15 minutes or better"? Clearly the existing infrastructure on Lakeshore West can already support 15-minute or better service given that we currently have 15-minute service on weekends and in 2021 we had 15-minute or better service on weekdays.

"Every 15 minutes or better" is a pretty good slogan for other lines but maybe they should come up with a more ambitious promise for LSW and LSE

Last edited:
Also "every 15 minutes or better"? Clearly the existing infrastructure on Lakeshore West can already support 15-minute or better service given that we currently have 15-minute service on weekends and in 2021 we had 15-minute or better service on weekdays.

"Every 15 minutes or better" is a pretty good slogan for other lines but maybe they should come up with a more ambitious promise for LSW and LSE
it's classic Metrolinx comms. A whole army of comms staff to reiterate the same basic lines which provide absolutely 0 details or information beyond what is absolutely required.

Some pictures of the West Harbour tie in track work. No new tracks yet but a bunch of Vader signals installed.

1720226790036.jpeg

1720226823397.jpeg

1720226862145.jpeg

1720226897351.jpeg

1720226917512.jpeg

1720226949633.jpeg

1720226980264.jpeg

1720227010761.jpeg

1720227040972.jpeg

1720227076202.jpeg

1720227095675.jpeg

Geotechnical work about to happen at Oakville GO in advance of the station rebuild (which we have pretty much no information about). See Metrolinx notice.
They could probably save themselves some time by walking to the western end of the parking lot and peering over the edge…..still, one of the most underdeveloped sites, with all of that spin-off potential along the western perimeters for density housing with great views and (potential) access to the river valley. Mysteries, mysteries.

^ There were also some remarks about the sidings at Guelph and Acton. Nothing on the 'hole in the donut' as the late and sometimes spicy TOAreaFan used to say, aka Bramalea-Georgetown.
Speaking of the Guelph siding, some (non-)progress pictures from today. Retaining wall has been done for a long time, but the ballast and track assemblies still lay piled.

PXL_20240706_144800625.jpg

PXL_20240706_151658699.jpg

PXL_20240706_151746275.jpg

PXL_20240706_152305686.jpg

Speaking of the Guelph siding, some (non-)progress pictures from today. Retaining wall has been done for a long time, but the ballast and track assemblies still lay piled.

View attachment 578284
View attachment 578285
View attachment 578286
View attachment 578287

Small changes further down, but fencing around Kitchener sections of tracks are getting Metrolinx spec fence, not sure if this work is on the contract for the prep work to move Kitchener GO, or last works under the first Breslau track contract. (Also strange those sections got standard chain link fence?)

1000006886.jpg

Finally they're doing the infrastructure work at West Harbour that Metrolinx claimed they were doing in this video I filmed on the 29th of March 2019:

Last edited:

Back