News   Jul 09, 2024
 729     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 597     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

^ what's the relevance of the Royal York Road? You mentioned "for 433 Front St W" but the link in bold is for the dev app for the Mimico GO Station.

^ what's the relevance of the Royal York Road? You mentioned "for 433 Front St W" but the link in bold is for the dev app for the Mimico GO Station.

Curious browser behaviour. I have cut and pasted many things since I was looking at Royal York Road, and I don't know why my browser would point there. I thought I was cutting and pasting the link to 433 Front W, which is what I was intending to point at.

- Paul

I suppose this post could go here or into any one of several threads (Electrification, Rail Deck Park, GO Fleet, for instance) but I will put it here and the mods can deal with it if I'm in the wrong place.

Those interested in what's happening west of Union Station might be interested in the documents in the City of Toronto's Development Application web site for 433 Front St West. Sorry, I can't provide the exact urls - you have to use the search engine. Anyways, the Architectural Plans and the "Linked Documents" contain a great deal of information about how that development would be built on top of the rail lines, and how the structural details will be managed in light of crashworthiness standards for buildings close to rail lines, how a Spadina Station would be aligned, etc.

The one diagram that I found most interesting was the "Plate Diagram" giving the dimensions envisioned for GO equipment clearances under electrification. There are also lots of diagrams showing an impressive array of side by side GO trains (locomotives on the west end of the train, I might add).

Very informative reading.

- Paul

View attachment 283959View attachment 283960

Here's the link for the materials for 433 Front St W: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=6TlUTKP4OEzQFnHBI/d4sQ==

The most recent materials were uploaded in June 2020.

Look Mamaa.........There is daylight under Steeles GO Bridge.

Haft of the eastbound lanes have been excavated to allow construction travel under the new bridge and work on utilities that need to be install before other work can take place. Excavating taking place for the new west stairs and elevator to the east platform.

I see Metrolinx has got the supplier of the concrete ties to put GO logo on the ties.

Excavating has started on the west stairs to the new Steeles sidewalk and you can see the new stair as well the entrance.

First station I have seen with a centre column about every 100' for the new canopy on the east platform in place of the normal 2. Had to laugh watching 2 iron workers as they weren't sure if the steel beam was in the correct location with one looking at the plan. I almost ask them to give me the plan since I know how to read it and was sure the beam was in the correct location based on the beams on the opposite side.

Photos to follow.

The original proposal here, for the site in the sticks; that offered low-cost of land, and construction is also a site for the very same reasons that is of low interest for development.

I'm not sure Grimsby has enough near-term potential for private delivery of a station, but if it does, I expect its with reduced parking in the central location.
There is a healthy condo market in Grimsby actually. Lots of units getting built on the north side of the QEW right close to the station.

That's a standard thing for any concrete tie order. It's a simple plate that is exchanged within the mould. CN's have a CN noodle, Amtrak's have their logo, etc.

Dan
Have seen a lot of Metrolinx concrete ties with no logo and have yet to see CN or other RR with their logo.

Even on sidewalks...

HFEYCRlZuYTQxWpGkynGOrYlk-Sbu8wLKw83l5qYOC8.jpg

From link.

See also this link.

Have seen a lot of Metrolinx concrete ties with no logo and have yet to see CN or other RR with their logo.

No, you haven't. Even the ties installed in the GO Sub in the 1980s have logos in them. The ties installed at the various station upgrade programs over the past couple of years (Danforth, Rouge Hill, Exhibition) all have them.

CN doesn't use a lot of concrete ties down in this part of Canada, but I can assure you having seen them up close that they're there, and in the same location as the GO logo.

Dan

Took the Go Train for the first time since March, quite a bit has changed.
VideoCapture_20201123-165545.jpg

Highway 409/401 tunnel

20201123_164909.jpg

Eglinton Line LRV

20201123_164308.jpg

Cleared land near the beginning of the Newmarket Sub

20201123_164219.jpg

Cleared land and fencing being installed near King Street

20201123_151520.jpg

20201123_151518.jpg
20201123_151516.jpg
20201123_151515.jpg

Mount Dennis Go platform

20201123_142942.jpg
20201123_143305.jpg

Bramalea go and new west tunnel entrance

Took the Go Train for the first time since March, quite a bit has changed. View attachment 284661
Highway 409/401 tunnel

View attachment 284662
Eglinton Line LRV

View attachment 284663

View attachment 284664

View attachment 284665
View attachment 284668View attachment 284669View attachment 284670
Mount Dennis Go platform

View attachment 284666 View attachment 284667

Asphalt? Really??

Asphalt? Really??
Yep!!...........real surprised to see this last week when I shot the area. Find it odd considering other stations are seeing concrete.

Hard to tell if the new west end is open now from the photo, but it was almost ready the day I was there. The east ramp from the accessibility platform will be block off to allow the reconstruction of the missing section of the east platform that needs to be rebuilt.

Looks like 6207 still waiting for CP to pick it up for a trip to TB.

Took the Go Train for the first time since March, quite a bit has changed. View attachment 284661
Highway 409/401 tunnel

View attachment 284662
Eglinton Line LRV

View attachment 284663

View attachment 284664

View attachment 284665
View attachment 284668View attachment 284669View attachment 284670
Mount Dennis Go platform

View attachment 284666 View attachment 284667

Is Metrolinx only building 3 platforms at Mount Dennis? I know the ECLRT predates GO Expansion/RER, but it would be a shame since Weston and Bloor are getting 4. I assume that Mount Dennis will eventually get a fourth, but after construction wraps up?

Back