News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 354     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Does it has to due with the bridges being rebuilt and replace for the Dufferin St area over the Lakeshore Line over the next few years??

I've long thought that Allandale station would be a great spot for a gateway to cottage country. While more bus connections is always a positive I don't think it would work for most cottage goers/campers due to the inherent nature that they are spread out across Muskoka/Kawarthas and beyond. My dream is that a car rental company sets up at the station with opening hours that coincide with train times. (This would also be useful at Oshawa GO as well).
It would make more sense to extend trains on the Bala Sub. The stations are already in place, Washago, Bracebridge, Gravenhurst, Huntsville, North Bay. All you need is to have a he train run at time people want to travel. Something the Northlander didn't do.

It would make more sense to extend trains on the Bala Sub. The stations are already in place, Washago, Bracebridge, Gravenhurst, Huntsville, North Bay. All you need is to have a he train run at time people want to travel. Something the Northlander didn't do.

Yes but this would not be a practical service for GO hence why ONR ran it.

Wrong subdivision - that's the Newmarket sub.

Any sense on why they would be doing this? Is this confirmed? @smallspy

View attachment 275346

In typical Metrolinx fashion, they are redoing something that they had previously and recently undone.

The original connections at Canpa (the railway point where the lines connect) allowed for two paralleling movements. When Metrolinx purchased the Canpa Sub from CP, they "rationalized" it to a single connection, in order to save on maintenance and to make the resignalling of the interlocking easier when it came time to exend the fourth mainline track from Mimico.

Of course, this "rationalization" caused many delays to the trains during the Lakeshore West detours of 2 years ago (it was that long ago?!?). And so in the post-work wrap-ups, they identified a need for a second connection. I guess they've finally found the time to do it now.

Dan

In typical Metrolinx fashion, they are redoing something that they had previously and recently undone.

The original connections at Canpa (the railway point where the lines connect) allowed for two paralleling movements. When Metrolinx purchased the Canpa Sub from CP, they "rationalized" it to a single connection, in order to save on maintenance and to make the resignalling of the interlocking easier when it came time to exend the fourth mainline track from Mimico.

Of course, this "rationalization" caused many delays to the trains during the Lakeshore West detours of 2 years ago (it was that long ago?!?). And so in the post-work wrap-ups, they identified a need for a second connection. I guess they've finally found the time to do it now.

Dan

Well it’s great to see the Canpa interlocking restored to its “former glory”.

Are they adding just one of these back or both?
canpa2020.png

I went down there this morning to see if I could figure out what’s being done. Canpa is a hard place to get close to (legally) but from what I could see, the activity was all west of the Canpa interlocking where concrete ties are going in on T3. I saw no signs of any changes on the north side. Rails at Horner were in their usual rusty state. Trains have been using T1 all weekend which would not be the case if your (A) was being built. Nor did I see any sign of signals work. Makes no sense to upgrade the Canpa plant without doing something about Approach signalling on the Canpa.

AFAIK the bridge replacement at Dufferin is a future project with no procurement done or approved start date. Doesn’t seem logical that ML would release funds for related workjust yet. But....Metrolinx. Others may know more.

- Paul

View attachment 276006

Your item labeled "A" is the second connection to the Canpa Sub - and is the one that they apparently would like to replace.

"B" has never existed, but frankly would make a huge amount of sense to do as it would allow for paralleling movements involving tracks 2-to-3 and 3-to-4.

Dan

"B" has never existed, but frankly would make a huge amount of sense to do as it would allow for paralleling movements involving tracks 2-to-3 and 3-to-4.

Google Maps air photo from 2005 shows a service track branching off track 3 between the two crossovers to tracks 2, going through where the signal bungalow is now, with another right-hand crossover from track 3 east of those, east of which it followed today's track 4. The 2007 air photo shows the part west of that crossover removed already. Though it wouldn't have been useful for GO anyway as non-main track.

Anyway I'd love to see more layouts like this across the network. Especially through Brampton so that the three-track sections could actually be used as such.

That track 1 is on both side of the exiting Weston station and has been in place almost a year. Once they built the new platform 4 or will it become 1 after the track, track will be place between the 2 ends in 2021.

Track 1 is in place to the crossover plant east of Islington.

Oct 04
Metrolinx Stouffville Line 2nd Track Expansion At Huntingwood Drive Grade Crossing. Easy to do a grade separation here.
50465079712_cfaa8d5ee0_b.jpg

50464222753_5f6abd4357_b.jpg

Agincourt GO Station and lot more up on site.

They have started grade work north of the station with the existing platform gone to bring track 2 down to the new platform and station. At the rate they going, it will be summer 2021 before platform 2 is ready and no elevator in place for the platform and the new station. The new station platform is too narrow for my taste. If they plan on opening platform 2, accessibility riders will have to walk to the crossing to get to the platform.
50464921921_a63b611a87_b.jpg

50464225238_6aa3705f56_b.jpg

50465083417_466f8c4f2a_b.jpg

50464227053_1a7dba5fae_b.jpg

50465084787_30bbd86eda_b.jpg

50464926886_f05418eb14_b.jpg

50464228658_43a9421c60_b.jpg

50464928016_135f20dae4_b.jpg

50464230418_06b9d63b2a_b.jpg

50465088362_bc283f542a_b.jpg

50465089702_a53ffc4a35_b.jpg

50465089977_c2c3499f48_b.jpg

50464232668_3612471fc6_b.jpg

50464931616_2429c3120e_b.jpg

Last edited:
That track 1 is on both side of the exiting Weston station and has been in place almost a year. Once they built the new platform 4 or will it become 1 after the track, track will be place between the 2 ends in 2021.

Track 1 is in place to the crossover plant east of Islington.

I think the person was saying a 4th track, not track 4. So not sure what the point of the comment was.

Back