News   Jul 15, 2024
 460     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 567     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

As I rode the 86 to Guildwood GO today, and listened to my fellow passengers worrying because the bus was getting short turned at Danforth Rd, I couldn't help but get mad at how poor TTC-GO integration is. We need to get on that so much quicker so that people like those passengers have the far better option of transferring to the GO.

Speaking of which, are there any plans for Metrolinx to purchase and tear down the old Bob Johnston car dealership at Guildwood? I could see great utility in converting it to parking in order to turn the existing parking lot right next to the station building into a bus loop.

As I rode the 86 to Guildwood GO today, and listened to my fellow passengers worrying because the bus was getting short turned at Danforth Rd, I couldn't help but get mad at how poor TTC-GO integration is. We need to get on that so much quicker so that people like those passengers have the far better option of transferring to the GO.

Speaking of which, are there any plans for Metrolinx to purchase and tear down the old Bob Johnston car dealership at Guildwood? I could see great utility in converting it to parking in order to turn the existing parking lot right next to the station building into a bus loop.

The walk from the GO station to Kingston Road is short enough that I don't think it's worth running the buses into the station, and if they did there would only need to be one bus platform, no need to buy a car dealership for it.

I'd like to see Guildwood be promoted a bit more including transit connectivity. I think a lot of people in east-central Toronto have no clue that they would save a nice chunk of time using that station rather than Union for VIA, albeit that some trains heading back to TO skip that stop.

I'd like to see Guildwood be promoted a bit more including transit connectivity. I think a lot of people in east-central Toronto have no clue that they would save a nice chunk of time using that station rather than Union for VIA, albeit that some trains heading back to TO skip that stop.

That's a long way away in my opinion. If there's ever another phase for the crosstown, I could see them extending it to at least here.

Question for people who might know.

Since day 1 of TFC's existance, the number of people crossing under the rail tracks after a match has been increasing. This is a combination of people actually taking the westbound trains home and the growing awareness of available parking and fun in Liberty Village. This year, with the return of sold out matches, it has gotten to the point where it is clear the single tunnel is not enough...to quote a visitor from Kansas City I was squeezed beside on Saturday night "this is just crazy!".

It really has grown from a fun, big crowd to something of a crush zone....and it would appear to be getting close to "dangerous' territory.

With this growth, and with the plans to expand the stadium for next year to 30k....are there any known plans to build a secondary crossing point? (either a footbridge over the tracks and under the gardiner or another tunnel).

Since day 1 of TFC's existance, the number of people crossing under the rail tracks after a match has been increasing. This is a combination of people actually taking the westbound trains home and the growing awareness of available parking and fun in Liberty Village. This year, with the return of sold out matches, it has gotten to the point where it is clear the single tunnel is not enough...to quote a visitor from Kansas City I was squeezed beside on Saturday night "this is just crazy!".

It really has grown from a fun, big crowd to something of a crush zone....and it would appear to be getting close to "dangerous' territory.

With this growth, and with the plans to expand the stadium for next year to 30k....are there any known plans to build a secondary crossing point? (either a footbridge over the tracks and under the gardiner or another tunnel).

Yes please! Everytime I take this tunnel I wonder why an additional one can't be built to the West end of the platform. It would align with the Western end of the Food building/ BMO filed.

Also a third tunnel at the East end would align with the TTC loop and the little pathway between the horse palace and Ricoh Colosseum.

I wish that I knew the exact reasons why (perhaps lost to the winds of history?), but that is apparently the only location that a crossing that can be built at Exhibition Station. I've been led to believe that it has something to do with the accesses to the platforms underneath the Gardiner Expressway and that the CNE won't allow any more - and that's why the old footbridge over the tracks was located there as well.

That said, the tunnel is rated for something silly like 50k passengers/hour, much higher than the old bridge was. I suspect that the widening of the platform and the extension of the tunnel to a new exit building will help, as there will be more places to stand on the platform and a separation of the flows to the locations north of the station.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I wish that I knew the exact reasons why (perhaps lost to the winds of history?), but that is apparently the only location that a crossing that can be built at Exhibition Station. I've been led to believe that it has something to do with the accesses to the platforms underneath the Gardiner Expressway and that the CNE won't allow any more - and that's why the old footbridge over the tracks was located there as well.

That said, the tunnel is rated for something silly like 50k passengers/hour, much higher than the old bridge was. I suspect that the widening of the platform and the extension of the tunnel to a new exit building will help, as there will be more places to stand on the platform and a separation of the flows to the locations north of the station.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Any idea when the extension northward will open? I agree it will help a bit as people going to the trains can go off to the left and right stairs while the people going to LV can keep going straight.

Any idea when the extension northward will open? I agree it will help a bit as people going to the trains can go off to the left and right stairs while the people going to LV can keep going straight.

Well, considering that the original plan was to have it done and open in "Winter 2013".....your guess is as good as mine. None of my contacts can seem to get their head around what is going on there.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Barrie, Simcoe Co ON

GO Transit Barrie Rail Service Expansion, various locations
$50,000,000 est
Note:REQUEST TO QUALIFY AND QUOTE (RQQ-C1-14-055) from Consultants closes 15:00 September 11, 2014 at the owner. The owner is seeking proposals from engineering services for the provision of engineering services for the completion Phase One: feasibility studies and preliminary design and Phase Two: detailed design and preparation of construction project documents; assistance with Procurement and evaluation; construction supervision, contract administration, testing and commissioning, post construction services and management of the services. Schedules for design, tender and construction will be finalized upon award.
Project:proposed expansion of existing GO Transit rail service to Barrie including platform expansion and addition of new lines. This project will include construction of a new station at St Clair. The Allandale Station will be followed under report number 9081204.

GO Transit Barrie Rail Service Expansion, various locations: $50,000,000 est

So, $50M for design and oversight of construction; NOT construction.

So construction would likely be in the $400M range? That's pretty major. It feels like the 2-way all-day service promise EA's (2010/2011) are being built out which makes sense as most pieces are needed for the electrification 15-minute promise too.

I believe it will include the Davenport Diamond grade separation as the St. Clair station mentioned was included in the EA for the diamond.

Last edited:
Another Barrie line station at St. Clair? And they are already planning new stations at Eglinton, Sheppard West, and Highway 7. If they keep something near Steeles, the Rutherford station will change from being the 2nd station to being the 5th station.

And in the hypothetical future where a St Clair station exists, I sure hope they would also add a Bloor station.
They are clearly doing their due diligence, by covering the provision of a St Clair station while working on the grade separation. I would expect a Bloor station to come up closer to an actual hard date for creation of more local service.

Also, wow, this sure is the Spadina relief line!

And in the hypothetical future where a St Clair station exists, I sure hope they would also add a Bloor station.
They are clearly doing their due diligence, by covering the provision of a St Clair station while working on the grade separation. I would expect a Bloor station to come up closer to an actual hard date for creation of more local service.
Some want a station near King/Queen/Dufferin as well.

It does make you wonder what it will do to travel times to 905 though.

Some want a station near King/Queen/Dufferin as well.

It does make you wonder what it will do to travel times to 905 though.

Stations every 2 to 3km isn't unreasonable. Particularly with electrified rolling stock in the distant future.

4 or so stations between York University and Union should be practical.

Last edited:

Back