News   Jul 15, 2024
 454     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 564     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The Don river retaining wall project cant get finished fast enough and even then sometimes it won't make any difference. The Bala sub(and DVP) was AGAIN flooded last night resulting is several train cancellations.
no.gif

The Don river retaining wall project cant get finished fast enough and even then sometimes it won't make any difference. The Bala sub(and DVP) was AGAIN flooded last night resulting is several train cancellations.
no.gif

I know the section immediately north of the USRC is a problem flooding area. What about upstream (e.g. north of where the Bala and the Leaside Spur)?

And put it where, exactly?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
You run it along the top of the valley. You need to tear everything down that exist there today regardless of what it and any historical value. Best place to stop it is at Don Mills and close it off to the south..............................................Heading to the hills

I know the section immediately north of the USRC is a problem flooding area. What about upstream (e.g. north of where the Bala and the Leaside Spur)?

Occasionally we'll get high water warnings from the RTC for sections of the line further up. But its always just for storm run off and rarely ever saturates or covers the ballast, nevermind going over the top of the rails. The only section that ever floods completely is the USRC to Pottery rd. area.

Occasionally we'll get high water warnings from the RTC for sections of the line further up. But its always just for storm run off and rarely ever saturates or covers the ballast, nevermind going over the top of the rails. The only section that ever floods completely is the USRC to Pottery rd. area.

What is USRC? Union Station Rail Corridor? also, RTC?

The Don Spillway is arguably one of the most important "transport" projects in the city if it reduces the frequency of DVP/Bayview Ext/GO floods. Wouldn't mind seeing the tracks elevated at Pottery Road but that would be more to eliminate a tricky grade crossing :D

Wouldn't mind seeing the tracks elevated at Pottery Road but that would be more to eliminate a tricky grade crossing :D

The reason I was asking about flooding upstream of the Bala/Leaside split is because it's really too bad that connection between the CN Bala sub and the CP West Toronto sub was eliminated. Given the flooding problems and the potential to increase speed, I would have been in favour of Richmond Hill GO trains and VIA/ONR trains heading up north or out west to use this connection, eliminating the use of the Bala sub south of York Mills Rd.

Alas, it is a biking trail/parkspace now. No way they would go back and rip it up to place a bunch of trains in there.

The reason I was asking about flooding upstream of the Bala/Leaside split is because it's really too bad that connection between the CN Bala sub and the CP West Toronto sub was eliminated. Given the flooding problems and the potential to increase speed, I would have been in favour of Richmond Hill GO trains and VIA/ONR trains heading up north or out west to use this connection, eliminating the use of the Bala sub south of York Mills Rd.

Alas, it is a biking trail/parkspace now. No way they would go back and rip it up to place a bunch of trains in there.

There are a couple of locations around Eglinton that are problematic, but by and large the biggest issues are south of Bloor.

As for the former CN/CNoR line paralleling Leslie, that is owned by the City of Toronto but is (or at least, was when I last checked) still zoned as a transportation corridor. In theory, that means that it would not be difficult to rebuilt the tracks along it. In fact, the City's reasoning for buying the corridor was to maintain it's ability to be used as a rail corridor in the future.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There are a couple of locations around Eglinton that are problematic, but by and large the biggest issues are south of Bloor.

As for the former CN/CNoR line paralleling Leslie, that is owned by the City of Toronto but is (or at least, was when I last checked) still zoned as a transportation corridor. In theory, that means that it would not be difficult to rebuilt the tracks along it. In fact, the City's reasoning for buying the corridor was to maintain it's ability to be used as a rail corridor in the future.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Would it be possible to widen the corridor and install tracks next to the bike bath, rather than replace the bike path?

Would it be possible to widen the corridor and install tracks next to the bike bath, rather than replace the bike path?

It's certainly possible, but at this point it's probably exceedingly unlikely (NIMBYism aside). You'd encounter issues surrounding the need to provide grade separation on the RH line at the request of CP to have the RH line cross from the south to the north side of the tracks. This grade separation would be further complicated by the need of a new railway bridge over the West Don Branch to the south of CP's existing trestle. Given this, I don't think the Leaside Spur Trail is getting converted back to a rail line anytime soon.

It's certainly possible, but at this point it's probably exceedingly unlikely (NIMBYism aside). You'd encounter issues surrounding the need to provide grade separation on the RH line at the request of CP to have the RH line cross from the south to the north side of the tracks. This grade separation would be further complicated by the need of a new railway bridge over the West Don Branch to the south of CP's existing trestle. Given this, I don't think the Leaside Spur Trail is getting converted back to a rail line anytime soon.

It seems like RH line would be lower priority due to the problems with the alignment/track and the fact that the Yonge subway is already there. Steve Munro pointed out that you'd need a difficult grade separation at Lawrence and Leslie. NIMBYism would be very strong there, especially if you're taking away a park/bike trail.

To me it seems like Lakeshore E/W, Georgetown and Stouffville have the most potential as rapid transit lines.

For Stouffville it seems like NIMYism would be very strong between Sheppard & Finch, and it actually does go through people's back yards.

It seems like places like this: http://goo.gl/maps/zW3qQ would be difficult to grade separate since it goes right by people's homes.

Back