News   Oct 11, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 2.9K     2 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 680     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Tracks are continuing being installed at West Harbour, working at 9pm:
1000012190.jpg

There was an issue at Bramalea GO this morning. The left turn lights on-top Steeles were stuck red and nobody could turn left for 20min. Until a GO enforcement officer came to direct traffic. ( I don't think he has the authority to do that, I believe only police and traffic wardens do).

I guess peel police have better things to do...

There was an issue at Bramalea GO this morning. The left turn lights on-top Steeles were stuck red and nobody could turn left for 20min. Until a GO enforcement officer came to direct traffic. ( I don't think he has the authority to do that, I believe only police and traffic wardens do).

It's possible some GO enforcement officers are also designated by some or all municipalities to enforce the Highway Traffic Act in vicinity of GO stations, or there's some other legal allowance somewhere, but I can't say for sure. But hey, I've jumped into intersections and helped direct traffic as a regular citizen before.

It's possible some GO enforcement officers are also designated by some or all municipalities to enforce the Highway Traffic Act in vicinity of GO stations, or there's some other legal allowance somewhere, but I can't say for sure. But hey, I've jumped into intersections and helped direct traffic as a regular citizen before.
That would make sense.

The only issue is if there is an accident and the GO constable was directing traffic, he could be liable.

How does Metrolinx struggle with LRT construction, but absolutely kill it with heavy rail???
You act as if Metrolinx is some monolithic entity with a centralized chain of command. In practice, Metrolinx at this point is an extremely wide organization, not in small part due to the sheer amount of ongoing projects, each with their own hierarchy of project managers and men in suits. The idea that Metrolinx might have one project that they're excelling at, and other projects that they're failing at is not only not unusual, but completely expected.

More importantly, you're comparing rail corridor works and projects - something that GO has almost 60 years of experience doing, with isolated massive new build LRT/Subway projects, something that here in Toronto we still only have sporadic experience with. Comparing this corridor shift with building brand new RT lines is very much comparing apples to oranges.

You act as if Metrolinx is some monolithic entity with a centralized chain of command. In practice, Metrolinx at this point is an extremely wide organization, not in small part due to the sheer amount of ongoing projects, each with their own hierarchy of project managers and men in suits. The idea that Metrolinx might have one project that they're excelling at, and other projects that they're failing at is not only not unusual, but completely expected.

More importantly, you're comparing rail corridor works and projects - something that GO has almost 60 years of experience doing, with isolated massive new build LRT/Subway projects, something that here in Toronto we still only have sporadic experience with. Comparing this corridor shift with building brand new RT lines is very much comparing apples to oranges.

We have a habit of reinventing the wheel. It’s not a small part of the equation; while we have been building RT for almost a century, it’s rarely the same kind. First it was ICTS, now the LRTs are completely new, same with BRT, the Ontario Line, etc. GO has been far more consistent, without any sort of constant technology and construction method switching- even with electrification, it’s the same sort of stuff.

If anything, it shows we could probably alleviate many issues if we could just commit to one rail rapid transit technology to specialize in (alongside GO, naturally) than trying something new every two decades, but alas. The days of LRTs are probably already behind us. Hopefully there are some people at Metrolinx carrying the fabled ‘institutional knowledge’ from all these projects that they so clearly need.

The days of LRTs are probably already behind us
Let's hope so. Would love to see the Eglinton LRT get converted to the same standards as the Ontario Line.

The varying types of RT we have in Toronto really bothers my OCD. But that probably has more to do with my obsession with standardization and uniformity.

What's worst is even the two LRT lines in Toronto are not to the same specs.

Last edited:
GO absolutely does not have 60 years of corridor work. They only took possession of their first bit of track in 1997, and it wasn't until the late-2000s that they actually embarked in any sort of track expansion project on their own lines.

The other thing is that all of the work has and is being handled by outside contractors, not their own staff. So to say that they have "experience" at any of it is misleading at worst - they have experience hiring people to do their work for them, and then promptly forget about what was done when they leave.

Dan

I think you are right. From the website:

"Officers are authorized to enforce GO Transit by-laws, which govern passenger conduct, fare inspection, and use of our facilities. To ensure you have a safe ride, officers are authorized to enforce the following statutes: The Criminal Code, Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, Youth Criminal Justice Act, Trespass to Property Act, Liquor License Act, Sections 17, 28, 33 of the Mental Health Act, and Safe Streets Act."

I suspect a couple of things:
- since it says they are "authorized" to enforce various statutes, they are likely appointed as Special Constables under the Police Services Act or whatever it is called now.
- if they are S/Cs, their appointment likely includes the phrase "on or in relation to" (Corporation property).

The only HTA authority they have is to demand (and you must produce) a driver's licence or identification when enforcing ML bylaws on Corporation property.

As for directing traffic, good on them for taking the initiative.

I think you are right. From the website:

"Officers are authorized to enforce GO Transit by-laws, which govern passenger conduct, fare inspection, and use of our facilities. To ensure you have a safe ride, officers are authorized to enforce the following statutes: The Criminal Code, Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, Youth Criminal Justice Act, Trespass to Property Act, Liquor License Act, Sections 17, 28, 33 of the Mental Health Act, and Safe Streets Act."

I suspect a couple of things:
- since it says they are "authorized" to enforce various statutes, they are likely appointed as Special Constables under the Police Services Act or whatever it is called now.
- if they are S/Cs, their appointment likely includes the phrase "on or in relation to" (Corporation property).

The only HTA authority they have is to demand (and you must produce) a driver's licence or identification when enforcing ML bylaws on Corporation property.

As for directing traffic, good on them for taking the initiative.
Totally. A solid 20 buses were held up. He was likely standing in until peel police could arrive. Seems like the afternoon they fixed the issue.

Back