News   Oct 11, 2024
 719     0 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 2.2K     2 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 570     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I guess I should have clarified that going from the station, the first and primary concern is the tunnel, not the station itself. Bayview junction is, as you’ve described, basically another $1B project on top of the tunnel, and that’s notwithstanding the corridor works needed either.

West Harbour service is a godsend- even if half-hourly doesn’t start soon, the fact that it is even possible (I’ve heard 15-minute service too is doable) Is a huge deal. That leaves me far less worried about moving things on at Hamilton Centre It’s few saving graces are the location and architecture, which should not be discounted, but do not warrant $2B+ in the near future.

With that said, I think you’ve just highlighted why this definitely is not related to enabling more service. So it’s still unclear what so much money is for.
Yeah I don't know why it's so secretive. 200 million dollars is A LOT of money to be spending on two stations, just for upgrades. Taxpayers should be allowed to know. @Chris R. FOI request?

The entire section running westwards from Lemonville Rd, through the Junction and then around into the CN yard off of York Road is very constrained by geography, roads and highways, botanical gardens and cemeteries. If you were looking at a flyover, could you consider moving the flyover portion easterly to Lemonville or further? Anticipating further rebuilds of,the junction to take advantage of any flyover of course. Which would be another major project requiring political nudging to move along given the participants I think.
Now I’m less knowledgeable than others here… but from a glance, whatever happens at the junction would have to be as “one-and-done” as possible given the price tag- maybe with some future-proofing.

Im not sure a flyover around Lemonville helps, because you need to access two corridors. CP and CNs tracks are organized perfectly for themselves, but GO would need to somehow get dedicated track (if desired) between the two, ie sandwiched just south of Old Guelph Road, so an additional flyover isn’t needed to access one of the corridors. That would seemingly involve widening various parts so as to make room for the corridor once it’s flown over the triangle.

… touching the junction not once, but twice is clearly beyond all of our lifetimes.

If I were to guess the Hamilton GO upgrades:
  • Platform refurbishment and installation of platform snow melt system
  • Refurbishment of stairways and platform entries
  • Elevator replacement, potentially a new elevator location
  • General refurbishment of the station building and bringing it up to modern code and standards (this gets pricey as it is an old structure)
I think the increased ridership at Hamilton GO during rush hour can be explained by a few things:
  • Better peak period scheduling for downtown workers and more express trains
  • Better access via bus routes
  • Downtown location
The scheduling and express trains can easily be addressed by trains at West harbour. Bus routing is harder, but HSR does have a plan to make West Harbour into a better hub. The LRT will also route closer to West Harbour than the express routes do now.

If money is being spent on track upgrades through Bayview, prioritizing speed and access to West Harbour would be a better investment for service frequency and quality.

^^You are correct! It is Agincourt and Milliken is on Steeles.
It looks like both photos are of Agincourt by looking that the track in both photos not Milliken. The east side track at Agincourt has yet to see service and not finished.

Milliken eastside platform was used during the work on the west platform and trackwork and then went back to the westside that I can recall seeing.

It's a shame, because Hamilton GO Centre has way higher ridership in the morning than West Harbour. I've taken both in the morning throughout the week, and I would say Hamilton GO Centre has 2-3x more people catching those early morning trains. I'm guessing because of the bus connections, and far higher residential density?
According to this article, West Harbour actually has more riders: https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilt...cle_7671c245-d555-57ac-bb94-31f57bae3ebb.html

"Currently, an average of 886 people a day board and disembark trains at the North End terminal, compared with just 93 in 2019."

"Aldershot and Hamilton GO Centre remain below pre-pandemic levels, averaging 2,284 and 600, respectively, in 2024."

So while Hamilton Go may have more morning commuters, the West Harbours station gets more overall ridership, which makes sense considering it has all day service.

It will be great once Go gets more frequent and smaller trains because they'll be able to accelerate more quickly and get people to and from Hamilton much more quickly, because West Harbour is likely a decade or more away from needing a full 12-car train.

Yeah I don't know why it's so secretive. 200 million dollars is A LOT of money to be spending on two stations, just for upgrades. Taxpayers should be allowed to know. @Chris R. FOI request?
I'd be interested in FOI requests for Metrolinx projects, but if they're starting anyway, may just wait and see. Could try emailing too. Sometimes if you just ask they'll tell you, but I haven't tried that yet.

That being said, this all reminds me of this tweet I saw today:

According to this article, West Harbour actually has more riders: https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilt...cle_7671c245-d555-57ac-bb94-31f57bae3ebb.html

"Currently, an average of 886 people a day board and disembark trains at the North End terminal, compared with just 93 in 2019."

"Aldershot and Hamilton GO Centre remain below pre-pandemic levels, averaging 2,284 and 600, respectively, in 2024."

So while Hamilton Go may have more morning commuters, the West Harbours station gets more overall ridership, which makes sense considering it has all day service.

It will be great once Go gets more frequent and smaller trains because they'll be able to accelerate more quickly and get people to and from Hamilton much more quickly, because West Harbour is likely a decade or more away from needing a full 12-car train.

I'd be interested in FOI requests for Metrolinx projects, but if they're starting anyway, may just wait and see. Could try emailing too. Sometimes if you just ask they'll tell you, but I haven't tried that yet.

That being said, this all reminds me of this tweet I saw today:

Yeah that’s what I meant. If we had an hourly breakdown, Hamilton GO Centre would probably show mucher higher numbers in the morning and between 4 and 7 pm. That’s just my personal observations though.

1728765668409.png

1728765679214.png

1728765691337.png

Back