News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.5K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Interesting location that hasn't got a lot of coverage.

Of course, this stretch may also be used by VIA HFR to get to the Don/Belleville Spur

The HFR track space (and the old CP track) is hidden in the bushes at the left side of that picture.

For location reference, that's the 506 streetcar visible on Gerrard Street on top of the bridge.

I'm quite sure that ML will remain low key, as this goes to demonstrate that there were actually alternatives to the servicing yard that Ml said they absolutely needed further north.

Arguably Ml isslightly sacrificing, as the Rosedale siding does get used as a passing track on occasion at the moment. But that can be easily restored as it's a long siding, and there is still room for a shorter passing track to the north of where the GO trains will lay over.

- Paul

Reactions: PL1
Kitchener Four Track update:

IMG_7196.jpeg
IMG_7197.jpeg
IMG_7198.jpeg
IMG_7199.jpeg
IMG_7200.jpeg
IMG_7201.jpeg
IMG_7202.jpeg
IMG_7203.jpeg
IMG_7204.jpeg
IMG_7205.jpeg
IMG_7206.jpeg
IMG_7207.jpeg

Does the wider only refer to the trains, or will there be any roadway widening? Would be nice for the bike lanes on Eastern to continue here and link up to Broadview to get down to the future Portlands.
I don't see that it needs to be wider. Much of Eastern has 2 lanes and 2 bike lanes - and no widening plans. Simply finish it and extend the existing lanes.

Contract awarded for design services for new Brampton GO South Platform on MERX. This would be to accommodate the new 3rd track through downtown Brampton.

From the tender:
Metrolinx is accepting Submissions for the Design of the New South Platform and Modifications to the Existing South Platform at the Brampton GO Station. Scope of
services include detailed design, assistance with design and evaluation process, construction supervision contract administration and tender evaluation, and post
construction services.

I don't think anyone has posted photos of the expanded bridge over Woodbine on the Lakeshore East and Stouffville lines (IIRC). From this afternoon. It looks like they still need to attach railings on the north side of the new bridge.

View attachment 501181View attachment 501182View attachment 501183

I know Mx would scream 'outside of scope' but I would love to have seen the opportunity taken to raise the bike lanes to sidewalk height here, separating them from cars under the rail bridge and lessening the impact of the surrounding hills.

I don't think anyone has posted photos of the expanded bridge over Woodbine on the Lakeshore East and Stouffville lines (IIRC). From this afternoon. It looks like they still need to attach railings on the north side of the new bridge.
No recent photos, but there was some posted by @enter username back in May - https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...-metrolinx-various.9023/page-798#post-1951389

Progess has been very efficient, with very little impact to Woodbine. I commented back in May thatt hey must have built the original bridge with the thought of being able to add a 4th track eventually - there's very little work required on the abutments; it's mostly the new centre pillar (and span) that's been added.

Reactions: PL1
No recent photos, but there was some posted by @enter username back in May - https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...-metrolinx-various.9023/page-798#post-1951389

Progess has been very efficient, with very little impact to Woodbine. I commented back in May thatt hey must have built the original bridge with the thought of being able to add a 4th track eventually - there's very little work required on the abutments; it's mostly the new centre pillar (and span) that's been added.

I made a trip to Milliken today, thanks to having midday service again. The progress on the Lakeshore line is impressive - still lots to do but clearly it is coming together with work all along the Scarborough-Union section. Nothing that looked like a forgotten piece, or a showstopper at this point.

Similarly from a recent trip - there has been a lot of progress this summer along the Barrie line, towards double track all the way from Steeles down. The bridge at Bloor appears to be the only major civil structure left to complete, along with the south ramp of the flyover - but that is clearly in progress already.

I wish I could say the same for the Stouffville Line. It appears there is construction under the 401 tunnel - replacing or augmenting the central section of that highway briedge. Perhaps that's the project that forced the cessation of mid-day service.

There were three workers - apparently surveying - at the West Highland Creek. No sign of heavy equipment or work to advance the piers on that bridge. Without that missing link, everything else is pretty much complete, but unusable. The second platform at Kennedy will be a white elephant until they tackle double tracking from Kennedy to Scarborough Jct and that hasn't even started.

- Paul

I know Mx would scream 'outside of scope' but I would love to have seen the opportunity taken to raise the bike lanes to sidewalk height here, separating them from cars under the rail bridge and lessening the impact of the surrounding hills.

Halfway height ... as the overpass looks to low for bike clearance at sidewalk level. Don't need cyclists faceplanting into the side of it 🤣

Halfway height ... as the overpass looks to low for bike clearance at sidewalk level. Don't need cyclists faceplanting into the side of it 🤣

Ummm....

1692714536878.png

Clearance over a seemingly normal height person leaves a lot of room. That would be one seriously honking bike if you managed to faceplant into the rail deck, that and you'd have to be 9ft tall still.

Have we seen preliminary designs? I'm still surprised they're going to the south side, mostly to do with CN's appetite for tracks closer to the offices there.

It's appropriate to keep the GO traffic on the south side all the way from Peel to Norval. I'm glad that ML is acquiring the south side land now, it might be more difficult if that didn't happen until when (and not if) the fourth track is needed..

The heritage depot will have to shift, eventually. Three tracks is not an end state, just enough for another decade I bet.

- Paul

Back