News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I will put this here as its not a project now, but more a Toronto project, but effect GO in the long run.

With the removal of the Dufferin Bridge, one hope both Metrolinx and the city think about the future of the Lakeshore line and a new bridge be design for it.

There is enough room in the corridor for 6/7 tracks as plan by GO and the new Dufferin bridge be built for these extra tracks.

On TTC Western Waterfront expansion, they show their line running on an elevated line on the north side with 7 tracks noted on the plan.

Having an extra 2 tracks from Bathurst to Willowbrook Yard will allow for better service in the future. The only problem with the extra track is between the yard and Park Lawn, there is no room for them without tearing a few building down and fixing the Royal York Bridge.

A 5th track is going in for the Exhibition Station now, but it can't get pass Dufferin St because of the bridge foundation.

If the existing footing is removed, it will allow for the 5th track to go further west.

The new bridge that will be built for Dufferin over both the tracks and the Gardiner in a couple of years will be able to accommodate 6 tracks, plus catenary over all of them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

as a somewhat regular user of it, I'm honestly amazed how much use it gets. that will probably change a bit once all the temporary GO parking at the mall is closed off when the new garage opens, but its still has a fairly constant stream of people walking back and forth along it.

Richmond hill will slowly be expanded northward as it needs more yard space, I.E. very slowly. This expansion allows for 5 new peak trips (I think) and as they decide that they want more they will move further north with another yard north of Bloomington. At least that is my understanding.

I wonder if they can do the same thing with Stouffville and bring the service to Uxbridge? GO seems intent on upgrading peak service on the line in the next few years, and it needs it.

Richmond hill will slowly be expanded northward as it needs more yard space, I.E. very slowly. This expansion allows for 5 new peak trips (I think) and as they decide that they want more they will move further north with another yard north of Bloomington. At least that is my understanding.

Not slowly, and not net new trips - once the yard opens later this year, there will be 5 trips south in the morning and 5 trips north in the evening to Gormley (with a couple of additional "short turn" trains to and from Richmond Hill).

I wonder if they can do the same thing with Stouffville and bring the service to Uxbridge? GO seems intent on upgrading peak service on the line in the next few years, and it needs it.

There isn't projected to be a need to run trains to Uxbridge for another 10 or more years, although GO is planning for it nonetheless. The yard at Lincolnville is capable of being expanded to handle more trains still.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Not slowly, and not net new trips - once the yard opens later this year, there will be 5 trips south in the morning and 5 trips north in the evening to Gormley (with a couple of additional "short turn" trains to and from Richmond Hill).

Thanks for the date update!

The tender for Jame St North Station closes on Friday.

Tenders have closed for welded rail for the Stouffville Line as well ties and ballast for the Kingston and Uxbridge lines.

Uxbridge? as in replace the ties and ballast for the YDHR portion? my understanding was that YDHR was supposed to maintain that, and why would GO even care about it?

Would welded rail allow for higher speeds? I always thought that the stouffville trains traveled so slowly despite being on such a straight corridor south of Unionville. they typically only do 70-80km/h when they could easily be doing 110.

Uxbridge? as in replace the ties and ballast for the YDHR portion? my understanding was that YDHR was supposed to maintain that, and why would GO even care about it?

Would welded rail allow for higher speeds? I always thought that the stouffville trains traveled so slowly despite being on such a straight corridor south of Unionville. they typically only do 70-80km/h when they could easily be doing 110.

It's the Stouffville Line, but it's the ex-CN Uxbridge Subdivision (which was Scarboro Jct to Lindsay at its peak). GO or the Ontario gov't owns the line all the way to Uxbridge; it is rail banked for potential extension as CN originally wanted to abandon all the way to Stouffville when it pulled out of Lindsay in 1991.

The Kingston Sub is everything from the Union Station Rail Corridor to just short of Montreal Central Station. Metrolinx owns everything as far as Pickering Junction; it also owns the GO Sub to Oshawa; which CN owns the tracks and corridor from Pickering Jct east.

What makes you think that it's for the YDHR portion?

'Cause it's not.

I've never gotten a straight answer as to why the line speeds are so low on Stouffville, but the track, structure and (for the most part) alignment on the section north of Kennedy Station to Markham is good for 70 or 80mph in theory.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

What makes you think that it's for the YDHR portion?

'Cause it's not.

To be fair, and I had already explained, one can be forgiven for confusing the line with the subdivision. You, Drum and I know it's the Uxbridge Subdivision, but most only know it as the Stouffville Line (both terms are correct - line refers to the operations, the subdivision is the physical plant, and continues beyond the end of operations at Lincolnville).

When Drum says "Tenders have closed for welded rail for the Stouffville Line as well ties and ballast for the Kingston and Uxbridge lines" I can see where the confusion comes in. He confused things further by using both Stouffville and Uxbridge in the same sentence. GO obviously does not run a train to Kingston, nor does it plan to.

Last edited:
^yep. I know that its the uxbridge sub, but the way he referenced stouffville first and then uxbridge made me think he was referencing different things.

To be fair, and I had already explained, one can be forgiven for confusing the line with the subdivision. You, Drum and I know it's the Uxbridge Subdivision, but most only know it as the Stouffville Line (both terms are correct - line refers to the operations, the subdivision is the physical plant, and continues beyond the end of operations at Lincolnville).

When Drum says "Tenders have closed for welded rail for the Stouffville Line as well ties and ballast for the Kingston and Uxbridge lines" I can see where the confusion comes in. He confused things further by using both Stouffville and Uxbridge in the same sentence. GO obviously does not run a train to Kingston, nor does it plan to.

That is how the tenders read which I found odd. Why one tender call for the work to be for the Stouffville line, well the other being for the Uxbridge Sub. It would indicate the rail was for the Stouffville line section only and the other would be for where the Uxbridge Sub join the Kingston Sub including work on the Kingston Sub.

I will have to ask that question to Metrolinx why 2 different tender name for the same line. Could have said "Tenders have closed for welded rail for the Stouffville Line" There was another tender for ties and ballast for the Kingston and Uxbridge lines which is wrong when it should be Sub.

I've never gotten a straight answer as to why the line speeds are so low on Stouffville, but the track, structure and (for the most part) alignment on the section north of Kennedy Station to Markham is good for 70 or 80mph in theory.

Did they upgrade the crossing circuits when they installed CTC on the line? That would be an issue otherwise. Also There's a fairly tight S-curve around Lawrence that would limit speeds in that section. And there's some decent grade changes along the entire stretch, though that alone wouldn't necessarily limit top speed.

Back