News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 894     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Where do you know Metrolinx is persuing express pair and local pair, rather than quad-tracked line?

I don't know. But that's my guess based on the fact that there are no apparent plans for any kind of flyover near Wice. With a quad-track layout, westbound trains to the airport would have to cross 2 or 3 tracks to reach the spur, versus only 1 with a 2x2 layout. This map specificially indicates pairs of tracks rather than a quad tracked, though it's from 2016, so lots could have changed since then.

And even if they do choose a quad-tracked layout, if the local tracks are in the centre with express on the outside, then they still wouldn't need to build the side platform at Weston. The only scenario where they'd need that platform is a quad-track layout with local on the outside, which I think is unlikely because it would require westbound local trains to cross all the other tracks in order to turn back at Bramalea.

Good layout! Just wondering, how do you envision the Milton Line services coming in at Bloor? Would they still bypass the station, or would they slot in on the local tracks to actually be able to call there?

I didn't envision anything special at Bloor, the existing plan has 6 tracks through the station, two of which are for the Milton line and lack platforms. I suppose it would be possible to install track switches to allow some Milton trains over onto the Kitchener local tracks, though it would create at-grade conflicts with trains in the opposing direction.

Last edited:
I don't know. But that's my guess based on the fact that there are no apparent plans for any kind of flyover near Wice. With a quad-track layout, westbound trains to the airport would have to cross 2 or 3 tracks to reach the spur, versus only 1 with a 2x2 layout. This map specificially indicates pairs of tracks rather than a quad tracked, though it's from 2016, so lots could have changed since then.

I didn't envision anything special at Bloor, the existing plan has 6 tracks through the station, two of which are for the Milton line and lack platforms. I suppose it would be possible to install track switches to allow some Milton trains over onto the Kitchener local tracks, though it would create at-grade conflicts with trains in the opposing direction.
If I remember correctly, and from Steve Munro, Metrolinx changed the design of Liberty Village to two side platforms, with local tracks outside and express tracks inside.

^The small detail that makes me think you aren't far wrong with that map: The west platform at Bloor is a lot wider than the east platform. One would hope that it would handle the busier services.

I'm not sure if that pattern holds up the line, however. I forget if I have seen a plan for Woodbine, er, Pearson Jct.

- Paul

To be clear, I'm not saying that the 2x2 layout is the best, it was just my impression that it's what GO is leaning towards. And it really is just an impression - anyone else's guess is as good as mine.

Cost no object, I actually prefer the quad track layout with local in the centre, since it provides the maximum operational flexibility while also allowing local trains to turn back at Bramalea without conflicting with express trains at all.

Last edited:
To be clear, I'm not saying that the 2x2 layout is the best, it was just my impression that it's what GO is leaning towards. And it really is just an impression - anyone else's guess is as good as mine.

Cost no object, I actually prefer the quad track layout with local in the centre, since provides the maximum operational flexibility it allows local trains to turn back at Bramalea without conflicting with express trains at all.
Metrolinx has also thought of running a mix of UP express and UP local to Pearson, according to this star article.

^The small detail that makes me think you aren't far wrong with that map: The west platform at Bloor is a lot wider than the east platform. One would hope that it would handle the busier services.

I'm not sure if that pattern holds up the line, however. I forget if I have seen a plan for Woodbine, er, Pearson Jct.

- Paul
Here it is for the design of Woodbine GO station.

I wonder if a presentation deck will be posted with updates on August 18th?

20200812_090636.jpg

Metrolinx has also thought of running a mix of UP express and UP local to Pearson, according to this star article.

I think thats a bit of a misunderstanding of the article.

A better way to say it is that Metrolinx is thinking of using GO-RER to service the UPX line.

Thats a completely different thing than 'UP Local'.

Interesting to see that after years of pressuring Metrolinx to improve GO train service to Guelph, the City of Guelph is now squarely opposing Metrolinx's efforts to do exactly that.

The comments under the article are claiming that the world will end and traffic will come to a standstill if GO Trains run regularly through Guelph. But of the 12 significant car routes that cross the tracks*, 11 already have rail overpasses! That's an impressively high level of grade separation, especially given how minimal the train traffic has been for the last few decades.

*from west to east:
Elmira Rd (rail over road)
Imperial Rd (rail over road)
Paisley Rd (rail over road)
Hanlon Pkwy / Hwy 6 (rail over road)
Edinburgh Rd (at-grade)
Gordon St (rail over road)
Wyndham St (rail over road)
Wellington St (rail over road)
Elizabeth St (rail over road)
Stevenson St (rail over road)
Victoria Rd (rail over road)
Waterson Pkwy (rail over road)

Some quotes from the article:
The recent closure of Dublin Street to through traffic and pedestrians has people concerned that other busy streets in the area could also be dead-ended.

OTHER busy streets? Dublin Street is a small residential street! Cutting it off at the tracks actually benefits it by preventing cut-through car traffic. That said, it certainly would be nice to get some kind of pedestrian conection, whether it be an underpass or a compliant at-grade pedestrian crossing.

“If Metrolinx gets its way in Guelph, Dublin Street, Glasgow Street, Yorkshire Street and Alma Street could all be permanently closed at the tracks,” local activist Susan Watson wrote in a recent letter to the editor, echoing the concerns of others who live in those areas.

“Downtown neighbourhoods will be severed in half by their chain link fences. Our Active Transportation plans will go into the shredder.”

This Susan Watson is using the usual hyperbole found in a Letter to the Editor. Yes, Metrolinx technically could close every crossing in the City but that would obviously never happen.

As far as their active transportation plans, I'd have the opposite conclusion. In the Netherlands (where I now live) rail lines are a useful tool to support active transportation. Replacing a level crossing for cars+bikes+peds with an underpass/overpass for peds and bikes eliminates the car traffic on the street leading up to it, thereby allowing it to become a safe and (potentially) efficient bicycle route completely apart from the car traffic routes. Separating bikes and cars by paint and curbs is nice, but separating them to completely different route is far safer because it avoids the issue of turning conflicts at intersections.

Last edited:

Round 2 Virtual Open House from August 18 - September 1

Back