News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

It's clear from your emotion that there is nothing that I could ever say that would change your mind. You have already assembled in your mind what your own idea of what my motivations are, what my position is on several Hamilton issues, and what my connections to Hamilton are (namely, that I'm not "one of us").

Oh please. Of course my response was emotional, it was to your glib reply.

You still haven't explained why this is the capital project that needs priority. If you can prove me wrong I will admit it. I'm not here to "win the internet". I'm here to learn.

Last edited:
Here's another update on Guelph GO station.

IMG_20120719_102833.jpg

Only this half of the tunnel is in place. The other half will be done after this half is finished and the track is moved back to the platform. On the other side will be the kiss-and-ride.

IMG_20120719_103819.jpg

The bus portion of the station is mostly complete and has been open since May.

I do not like that the stairs are facing toward Old City Hall, I would have rather them facing the bus platform area instead.

It actually points farther from the entrance to the train station door. Does not look like it will be a T form, possible a elevator will be at the one side. The Drill Hall, located on the other side of the tunnel is planned to be the GO ticket selling location, at least from what I read from the Guelph Heritage Committee minutes.

Johnny5, I think your response to CDL was a little unfair. He may not have the deep roots that you have in Hamilton, but sometimes knowledgeable outsiders can bring a different perspective that is just as valid. If service is established permanently at James Street, it will be very difficult to come around later and shift it down to Hunter. If the investment is being made in establishing all-day service, I think the best place for it is the station located actually in Downtown Hamilton. Though the city is less centralized than it could be, that's clearly still the biggest concentration of development in the city. More importantly, it's the transit hub of Hamilton. James Street is only served by a handful of bus routes, while Hunter Street is directly accessible from the four corners of the city. In the long term, real frequent service will promote development around Hunter Street and the broader downtown core. That's very important to the area continuing and growing as a regional centre in its own right. James North isn't really suitable for intense development, though I do notice that it's getting a lot of arts-related growth, which is a very good thing. James would be better than nothing, but Hunter really is the most central and accessible option that gets away from the GO parking lot model.

I agree that the current Hamilton station is more ideal than a location on the CN line. Would be nice if they could round up the funds to improve this route to have two tracks and greater grade separation.

HamiltonGO.jpg

Attachments

• HamiltonGO.jpg
    HamiltonGO.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 277
I see no point our tax money being spend on additional stations and service in Halton Hills, if they can't even be bothered to run any local transit. I have no idea where there isn't at least some basic town service along the main drag in Georgetown, and then up into Acton, and one or two buses looping in Georgetown to meet GO trains.

I see no point our tax money being spend on additional stations and service in Halton Hills, if they can't even be bothered to run any local transit. I have no idea where there isn't at least some basic town service along the main drag in Georgetown, and then up into Acton, and one or two buses looping in Georgetown to meet GO trains.

Acton itself doesn't need its own transit service - it is small enough, and GO buses run every 2-3 hours between there and Georgetown and . Though Halton Hills should push for hourly service on Highway 7 and pay for the additional costs.

Yes, Georgetown and south Caledon-Bolton really should be dragged, kicking and screaming, into providing basic transit. Brampton's next door, BT could easily be tapped to extend routes to Valleywood, Bolton and Georgetown. Strange that Orangeville has a local transit service, but Bolton and Georgetown do not.

Acton itself doesn't need its own transit service - it is small enough, and GO buses run every 2-3 hours between there and Georgetown
Acton itself doesn't need local transit - you can pretty much walk anywhere. But the other part of Halton Hills (Georgetown) certainly should have something that meets the GO Trains. And with most service stopping at Georgetown (particularly I think this is where they are planning to stop a lot of the off-peak service), having transit that runs from there, 15 minutes along 7 into Acton makes sense. GO currently does provide that bus service, but it's not much good for peak service. For there are no departures from Acton to Georgetown between 2:18 pm and 5:33 pm! And in the AM there are no departures from Georgetown to Acton between 7:14 AM and 10:00 AM!

If Halton Hills really doesn't care about transit, I don't think the province should be spending money on adding more stations in Halton Hills. I'm not familiar with Bolton or Orangeville ... but it seems bizarre that the province would spend potentially a lot of money extending service to Bolton with no local transit there.

Speaking of buses meeting the GO trains, there's not actually any Grand River Transit buses you can take early enough to catch the first train from Kitchener.

^ Yes, they added special bus service just to connect with GO.
But that's only useful if you live close to the Charles Terminal. mpd618 was most likely referring to bus service from anywhere else in KW, like near the Universities, or Fairview Park Mall. It would be nice if route 7 would start at 5 or 5:15 to allow for GO connections.

I agree that the current Hamilton station is more ideal than a location on the CN line. Would be nice if they could round up the funds to improve this route to have two tracks and greater grade separation.

Exactly. That's what I've always suggested. At the least, rebuilding the Belt Line to remove CP from the downtown Hamilton section wouldn't be very difficult at all. You'd just need to re-lay higher quality track and improve the crossing barriers. If you wanted to also use it to extend passenger service east from Hunter Street, it would require a much more disruptive (but maybe still worthwhile) upgrade.

Back