News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

If they extend the frequent service to Hunter Street, what do you do with the trains from St. Catharines/Niagara Falls? Build a new connector from the Grimsby Sub to the CP line? Build the projected station at James Street? Bypass Hamilton altogether?

Option #2. Have the 4-8 trains a day to and from Niagara serve James St. North, and the rest serve Hunter St. Leave Hunter as the primary station.

The Toronto locational comparison would be GO treating Summerhill as their primary Toronto station and only having a handful of AM outbound/PM inbound trains serving Union. That only makes sense if you see "Toronto" as a single entity and don't realize the big differences in locations within Toronto.

Last edited:
Option #2. Have the 4-8 trains a day to and from Niagara serve James St. North, and the rest serve Hunter St. Leave Hunter as the primary station.
How does this achieve the government's promise to have all-day two-way service to St. Kitts by 2015?

Wasn't the tunnel originally double track and then reduced to single track to accommodate triple-stack auto racks? If so, wouldn't it be possible to bring back the double track and add a gauntlet track down the middle for occasional freight trains that require the clearance? A more ambitious solution would be to rebuild the Belt Line as a freight bypass for CP and potentially even as a route for passenger trains to return to the Grimsby Sub from Hunter Street.

If auto-racks only fit in the middle, it's unlikely that GO bilevels will fit anywhere else. Accommodating both in a multiple-track tunnel will require a lot of construction work. It may happen at some point in the future anyway; I doubt CP can survive forever on just a single-track alignment on this route.

Wasn't the tunnel originally double track and then reduced to single track to accommodate triple-stack auto racks? If so, wouldn't it be possible to bring back the double track and add a gauntlet track down the middle for occasional freight trains that require the clearance?

The track was singled not necessarily due to auto racks, but mainly due to the increasing size of freight equipment in the 1940s and 1950s. I don't believe that you could return the existing tunnel to two tracks and maintain a safe envelope around any freight equipment, regardless of its height.

And frankly, the idea of gauntlet track - which has been bandied about before - is a non-starter. It certainly wouldn't benefit CPR if only some trains (and likely none of them freight) could make use of a double-tracked tunnel. And they sure as hell would balk at paying for the maintenance of it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

As a former Hamilton resident, who still makes the trip a few times a month on GO and who has made the trip back and forth to Toronto several thousand times, at all times of the day and on weekends, I find the idea of spending $100M to bring all day two way service to Hunter Station an outrageous waste of money.

The Huter tunnel is the least of the problems with this scheme.

After getting through that tunnel you have limp out through the winding path to the Bayview Junction at 20 mph, sometimes taking over 20 minutes just to get to Aldershot. Then your stuck on the sad, slow, milk run to Union, making way too many stops. The trip is already more than an hour for the trains that run express from Oakville. You really think a 90 minute $10/ride trip will appeal to anyone? This is a huge downgrade from the existing express bus, departing every 20 minutes and sometimes making the run in as little as 45 minutes, never mind that it may pick you up or drop you off much closer to where you . Until GO radically changes their approach by having faster trains (EMUs) or some weekday express service, this won't fly.

So what about the economic arguments? What about serving Hamilton's employment base? 90% of Hamilton's employment is not downtown. It's at McMaster, Mohawk College, on the Waterfront, at the Airport, at the hospitals, and in the light industrial parks in the far east and north east of the city. You could make the argument that it would stimulate employment growth, I don't really see how a once an hour milk run train would, but even if it did, that $100M could be put to much better use on other infrastructure projects that this very high tax, debt ridden city desperately needs.

Maybe someday this will be necessary, but right now it should be way down the priorities list for GO. Don't believe me? Go to the Hunter Street Station at 6:45am on Monday and watch the 15 or 20 people climb the stairs to the train, while every 15 minutes the express bus leaves with 30-40 people on board. Hamilton residents are already passively saying they don't want the train.

Last edited:
As a former Hamilton resident, who still makes the trip a few times a month on GO and who has made the trip back and forth to Toronto several thousand times, at all times of the day and on weekends, I find the idea of spending $100M to bring all day two way service to Hunter Station an outrageous waste of money.

The Huter tunnel is the least of the problems with this scheme.

After getting through that tunnel you have limp out through the winding path to the Bayview Junction at 20 mph, sometimes taking over 20 minutes just to get to Aldershot. Then your stuck on the sad, slow, milk run to Union, making way too many stops. The trip is already more than an hour for the trains that run express from Oakville. You really think a 90 minute $10/ride trip will appeal to anyone? This is a huge downgrade from the existing express bus, departing every 20 minutes and sometimes making the run in as little as 45 minutes, never mind that it may pick you up or drop you off much closer to where you . Until GO radically changes their approach by having faster trains (EMUs) or some weekday express service, this won't fly.

So what about the economic arguments? What about serving Hamilton's employment base? 90% of Hamilton's employment is not downtown. It's at McMaster, Mohawk College, on the Waterfront, at the Airport, at the hospitals, and in the light industrial parks in the far east and north east of the city. You could make the argument that it would stimulate employment growth, I don't really see how a once an hour milk run train would, but even if it did, that $100M could be put to much better use on other infrastructure projects that this very high tax, debt ridden city desperately needs.

Maybe someday this will be necessary, but right now it should be way down the priorities list for GO. Don't believe me? Go to the Hunter Street Station at 6:45am on Monday and watch the 15 or 20 people climb the stairs to the train, while every 15 minutes the express bus leaves with 30-40 people on board. Hamilton residents are already passively saying they don't want the train.

The train is slow so we shouldn't spend money on improving the train? Yes, fixing the tunnel should be one element of needed improvements. But we're not going to get fast EMUs and express trains without fixing the tunnel first.

If 90% of jobs are outside of downtown, 10% are downtown. If your percentages are correct, that would still be around 20 thousand jobs in downtown Hamilton. I'm sure it's far less than that, but it's still far more employment within walking distance of a station than any other station on the GO network outside of Union. If the government's policy is to encourage infill and intensification, they should be investing in infrastructure that makes established employment hubs like downtown Hamilton more desirable because they're accessible to a larger employment base. And as for those jobs at McMaster and the future innovation park, Mohawk college, and the hospitals, Hunter Street has much MUCH better existing AND planned transit connections to those sites than James St North.

Hunter St = encourage a healthy downtown Hamilton with travellers passing through and increased demand for downtown Hamilton office and residential space.
James St North (and Centennial Parkway) = Hamilton is a bedroom community for Toronto.

Last edited:
How does this achieve the government's promise to have all-day two-way service to St. Kitts by 2015?

I'm not familiar with any such promise, only to Hamilton. Please find me a quote where McGuinty promised two-way all-day to St. Catharines.

And even if he did promise it, there's pretty much no way that we will actually see such a service any time soon.

I'm not familiar with any such promise, only to Hamilton. Please find me a quote where McGuinty promised two-way all-day to St. Catharines.
the Liberal promise to bring all-day, two-way GO train service to Hamilton and Niagara.

And even if he did promise it, there's pretty much no way that we will actually see such a service any time soon.
Liuna and Confederation Park in 2015. Confederation Park can't be served from the CP alignment.

That's the promise anyways ... given how many times McGuinty has lied about the various Toronto transit projects, who knows what will really happen.

I still think that the best plan is to move CP out of downtown Hamilton in favour of passenger service. Repurposing the Belt Line to permit through passenger trains from Hunter to Niagara would require a complete rebuilding at considerable cost, but accommodating CP's 6 or so freights a day would be much less problematic. A track connection to the Grimsby Sub and new track should be sufficient. It already sees several freights a day, so it's not as if you'd be reactivating an abandoning line. If anything, the through freights would probably clear the crossings quicker than the existing industrial switchers. Its current speed limit is 15mph, and with new track and full crossing gates you should be able to get that a bit higher. Even if you can't, it's less than a mile and a half so it's not like that's such a big problem. It wouldn't be a very difficult or expensive project. If it were built, then you'd never need to worry about dealing with CP into Hunter Street again, you wouldn't need to expand the tunnel to accommodate full auto rack clearances, and you'd be able to run as many passenger trains as you want.

A much more ambitious project would rebuild that corridor into a full freight and passenger corridor to permit trains from Hunter Street to continue to Niagara. It would probably require double-tracking and removal of grade crossings. You'd likely need to acquire a number of properties to do it, though it would hardly be impossible and the land values in that area are far from outrageous.

the Liberal promise to bring all-day, two-way GO train service to Hamilton and Niagara.

That's the promise anyways ... given how many times McGuinty has lied about the various Toronto transit projects, who knows what will really happen.

That's clearly a poorly written paragraph at the end of the article. They promised GO Train service to Niagara with all-day service eventually, but the 2015 promise was to Hamilton, as this article makes clear. And I'd say McGuinty has been pretty good for Toronto transit, given that he's made the biggest investment in it in the history of the province.

The train is slow so we shouldn't spend money on improving the train? Yes, fixing the tunnel should be one element of needed improvements. But we're not going to get fast EMUs and express trains without fixing the tunnel first.

We're not going to get faster service and EMUs until billions of dollars and dozens of projects are completed elsewhere, none of which depend on this tunnel. They are among the many higher priority GO projects that deserve to be completed first. Come back with this idea in 15 years.

If 90% of jobs are outside of downtown, 10% are downtown. If your percentages are correct, that would still be around 20 thousand jobs in downtown Hamilton. I'm sure it's far less than that, but it's still far more employment within walking distance of a station than any other station on the GO network outside of Union. If the government's policy is to encourage infill and intensification, they should be investing in infrastructure that makes established employment hubs like downtown Hamilton more desirable because they're accessible to a larger employment base. And as for those jobs at McMaster and the future innovation park, Mohawk college, and the hospitals, Hunter Street has much MUCH better existing AND planned transit connections to those sites than James St North.

If the government wants to encourage employment growth in Downtown, maybe they should stop moving their employees out of downtown Hamilton. Maybe they should give the Hamilton school board funding to renovate a building downtown, instead of moving their hundreds of staff out to Limeridge Mall. Maybe they should front the money for an LRT system, to provide HAMILTON RESIDENTS, with better transit service, rather than ferry in people from Halton and Peel on slow, plodding GO trains, which they will no doubt love to take instead of one of their three family cars which could do the commute in 1/3rd the time. Maybe they should clean up Hamilton brown-field sites and consolidate suburban government workers into these locations.

Hunter St = encourage a healthy downtown Hamilton with travellers passing through and increased demand for downtown Hamilton office and residential space.
James St North (and Centennial Parkway) = Hamilton is a bedroom community for Toronto.

Great talking points. Zero evidence.

Everyone who wants to work in Toronto and live in Hamilton already is. My parents were two of them, until they retired two years ago after 25 years of commuting (oh and they never used the Hamilton station, they always drove to Burlington Stn [No, not even Aldershot], like pretty much every other Hamilton resident who works in Toronto). There are four express trains leaving Hamilton every morning and coming back at night. Adding slow, once and hour trains, in the mid-afternoon, to James North (which is still downtown, no?) and Centennial (see below) is not going to make people suddenly move to Hamilton and turn it into a Toronto job bedroom community. Neither is it going to make people from Halton and Peel want to make an epic commute to Hamilton, complete with transfers for a 30 minute ride on the HSR. It's a well intentioned idea, but it is laughable. Hamilton's downtown needs to have employment accessible to local commuters.

Besides, much of west Hamilton already is a bedroom community (and by west, I am talking about the old city, not Hamilton's ultimate bedroom community, Waterdown.) But the people here are not commuting to Toronto, they are going down the QEW and 407 to jobs in Halton and Peel. I personally know four people in Hamilton who commute to Meadowvale every day. Here's an irony for you: GO used to provide bus commuting service between Hamilton and Meadowvale. It was cancelled.

And one other thing, don't ever bring up the Centennial Parkway GO station. People who mention this as some kind of commuter hub have obviously never looked at a map. It is a 15 minute drive from this station to Burlington GO Station. I have taken the GO bus over the skyway quite a few times and it always makes it this quicky. Why would anyone, ever get on the GO train at this spot and take a 40 minute trip around the bay to Burlington, when they could drive it in 15 minutes and park their car in a sheltered garage? Knowing GO's fare struture, it would probably cost the same. Similar to what I said above, no one will be encouraged to live in Hamilton and work in Toronto because of this station. Those people already are living in Hamilton

EDIT:
This post is more confrontational than I like, but here is where I am at: I come from a family of Hamilton residents. I commuted to Burlington for work for a year. I commuted to Toronto for work for years. My family members commuted to Toronto for work for decades, from both the west and east of Hamilton. They commuted from the old James North Station. They commuted from the old bus terminal (abandoned, but I think still standing) on Elizabeth Street. They commuted to places as distant as North York, because we liked Hamilton. We could have moved to Newmarket, but we didn't. Between all of us, we have taken TENS OF THOUSANDS of GO trips between Toronto an Hamilton. We have taken the first bus, the last train, the first train and the last awful drunken nightmare 1:30am bus and everything in between. We have lived in Hamilton a combined 240 person years.

I have to ask this... do you really think you know better than us? I'm asking because I want to know why you think this is necessary as I just don't see any possible way it is needed or wanted or helpful.

I would love fast train service all day every day between Hamilton and Toronto. But spending money on this tunnel does not give it. Dozens of other projects need to be done first, and they will take decades. That $100M could be put to much better immediate use. Hell even, fixing sewers in Hamilton would be a better use. How are Locke Street businesses supposed to thrive when their 100 year old water mains break and flood their stores three times in one year! As I said above, this is a proposal for 15 years from now. Hamilton will get no benefits from it being done today.

EDIT2: I just read through this again and I want to make sure I am clear that I am not trying to be insulting and I am not close minded. I really want to know what your perspective is and why you think this project is a priority. I think we both agree that intensification of employment in downtown and making that employment accessible to the region is critical for the health of Hamilton. I just can't see GO being anything but a very minor part of that process at this time. If you have reason to believe otherwise, please share it. I would like to hear opposing points of view fully elaborated.

Last edited:
We're not going to get faster service and EMUs until billions of dollars and dozens of projects are completed elsewhere, none of which depend on this tunnel. They are among the many higher priority GO projects that deserve to be completed first. Come back with this idea in 15 years.

If the government wants to encourage employment growth in Downtown, maybe they should stop moving their employees out of downtown Hamilton. Maybe they should give the Hamilton school board funding to renovate a building downtown, instead of moving their hundreds of staff out to Limeridge Mall. Maybe they should front the money for an LRT system, to provide HAMILTON RESIDENTS, with better transit service, rather than ferry in people from Halton and Peel on slow, plodding GO trains, which they will no doubt love to take instead of one of their three family cars which could do the commute in 1/3rd the time. Maybe they should clean up Hamilton brown-field sites and consolidate suburban government workers into these locations.

Great talking points. Zero evidence.

Everyone who wants to work in Toronto and live in Hamilton already is. My parents were two of them, until they retired two years ago after 25 years of commuting (oh and they never used the Hamilton station, they always drove to Burlington Stn [No, not even Aldershot], like pretty much every other Hamilton resident who works in Toronto). There are four express trains leaving Hamilton every morning and coming back at night. Adding slow, once and hour trains, in the mid-afternoon, to James North (which is still downtown, no?) and Centennial (see below) is not going to make people suddenly move to Hamilton and turn it into a Toronto job bedroom community. Neither is it going to make people from Halton and Peel want to make an epic commute to Hamilton, complete with transfers for a 30 minute ride on the HSR. It's a well intentioned idea, but it is laughable. Hamilton's downtown needs to have employment accessible to local commuters.

Besides, much of west Hamilton already is a bedroom community (and by west, I am talking about the old city, not Hamilton's ultimate bedroom community, Waterdown.) But the people here are not commuting to Toronto, they are going down the QEW and 407 to jobs in Halton and Peel. I personally know four people in Hamilton who commute to Meadowvale every day. Here's an irony for you: GO used to provide bus commuting service between Hamilton and Meadowvale. It was cancelled.

And one other thing, don't ever bring up the Centennial Parkway GO station. People who mention this as some kind of commuter hub have obviously never looked at a map. It is a 15 minute drive from this station to Burlington GO Station. I have taken the GO bus over the skyway quite a few times and it always makes it this quicky. Why would anyone, ever get on the GO train at this spot and take a 40 minute trip around the bay to Burlington, when they could drive it in 15 minutes and park their car in a sheltered garage? Knowing GO's fare struture, it would probably cost the same. Similar to what I said above, no one will be encouraged to live in Hamilton and work in Toronto because of this station. Those people already are living in Hamilton

EDIT:
This post is more confrontational than I like, but here is where I am at: I come from a family of Hamilton residents. I commuted to Burlington for work for a year. I commuted to Toronto for work for years. My family members commuted to Toronto for work for decades, from both the west and east of Hamilton. They commuted from the old James North Station. They commuted from the old bus terminal (abandoned, but I think still standing) on Elizabeth Street. They commuted to places as distant as North York, because we liked Hamilton. We could have moved to Newmarket, but we didn't. Between all of us, we have taken TENS OF THOUSANDS of GO trips between Toronto an Hamilton. We have taken the first bus, the last train, the first train and the last awful drunken nightmare 1:30am bus and everything in between. We have lived in Hamilton a combined 240 person years.

I have to ask this... do you really think you know better than us? I'm asking because I want to know why you think this is necessary as I just don't see any possible way it is needed or wanted or helpful.

I would love fast train service all day every day between Hamilton and Toronto. But spending money on this tunnel does not give it. Dozens of other projects need to be done first, and they will take decades. That $100M could be put to much better immediate use. Hell even, fixing sewers in Hamilton would be a better use. How are Locke Street businesses supposed to thrive when their 100 year old water mains break and flood their stores three times in one year! As I said above, this is a proposal for 15 years from now. Hamilton will get no benefits from it being done today.

EDIT2: I just read through this again and I want to make sure I am clear that I am not trying to be insulting and I am not close minded. I really want to know what your perspective is and why you think this project is a priority. I think we both agree that intensification of employment in downtown and making that employment accessible to the region is critical for the health of Hamilton. I just can't see GO being anything but a very minor part of that process at this time. If you have reason to believe otherwise, please share it. I would like to hear opposing points of view fully elaborated.

It's clear from your emotion that there is nothing that I could ever say that would change your mind. You have already assembled in your mind what your own idea of what my motivations are, what my position is on several Hamilton issues, and what my connections to Hamilton are (namely, that I'm not "one of us").

An observation...

Revitalizing Hamilton and improving the Hamilton-Toronto commute, in my mind, are two separate goals and should be separated as such. Would it be ideal to build a new downtown rail station in Hamilton for commuters who work in Toronto, sure I bet an argument can be made for that, however we need to separate the need or desire to revitalize the downtown away from the need to provide the rail service where people are living.

The need to revitalize Hamilton's core should focus on creating a hub similar to Toronto's Union station where commuters can take transit to jobs in the core. That starts with putting jobs back in the core (public sector jobs) to create the demand and creating transit service that serves Hamilton and not Toronto.

Ajax update:

Elevator/stairs tower is up, and it looks like all the underground work and first floor work has wrapped up. A giant crane appeared in pieces on Monday and was up by Tuesday of this week. I expect we will start seeing walls going up soon.

Here's another update on Guelph GO station.

IMG_20120719_102833.jpg

Only this half of the tunnel is in place. The other half will be done after this half is finished and the track is moved back to the platform. On the other side will be the kiss-and-ride.

IMG_20120719_103819.jpg

The bus portion of the station is mostly complete and has been open since May.

Ajax update:
Elevator/stairs tower is up, and it looks like all the underground work and first floor work has wrapped up. A giant crane appeared in pieces on Monday and was up by Tuesday of this week. I expect we will start seeing walls going up soon.

They're putting up vertical columns right now, at the rate of (it looks like) 3-4 per day.

And yeah, that crane is impressive.

Back