News   Jun 28, 2024
 121     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 278     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 346     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

^Yes, sorry about that. Every time I see new transit construction pics, I naturally think of drum.

Thanks for the pics, Random Bus Guy!

April 26
Was told the new Burlington Walkway is to open on Monday, but far from completion. If it does open as plan, it will be for peak service only and close during the day to put on the flashing and other items.

Have never seen crews working this late as they are usually gone by 3 pm. Most were working on the doors and the floor edges so the walkway could open on Monday.

Just got the camera back yesterday and they should had replace based on what was done to it, as well the 3rd fix in 9 months. Based on past trips, all these shots while moving were out of focus when the other trips were in focus.

All the glass is in place for the new south Bronte Ramp.

Working on the last row for the Oakville parking garage with glass in place on the east end.

More shots up on site.
7129012931_745929dfb6_b.jpg

6982933702_e0ee70d2da_b.jpg

6982931338_66f88cd3e1_b.jpg

6982907782_8d2091371a_b.jpg

6982905966_53f0cccbdd_b.jpg

6982905120_6087f3fd2a_b.jpg

7128939373_9a76b4ae5b_b.jpg

7128937373_071d4823dd_b.jpg

7128931035_a5ed93708d_b.jpg

7128938143_e910aeb25f_b.jpg

April 26
As I was coming in to Toronto from Burlington, I saw all or most of the new 4th track and switches are in place at Mimico now.

You can see some of the existing roof for the next section has been removed over the Via area.
6988546604_22acb7e271_b.jpg

7134633801_8d1138f73c_b.jpg

7134631207_8a75f423a1_b.jpg

7134631901_888d76e12a_b.jpg

7135003795_0fea1bf3b4_b.jpg

6988920044_609da52e1e_b.jpg

It's a shame they couldn't have put some type of retail on the ground floor of that parking garage. It's definitely a big enough footprint to at least put in a subway, a convenience store, and an LCBO location.

Seeing drum's excellent pictures, I am wondering:

Why aren't they removing the rest of the concrete roof, but keeping the original steel trusses, then add more glass directly on top of the original trusses? (I had thought there was some structural reason they couldn't do that, but seeing how they are dismantling the roof, it seems not.) Then you'd keep the heritage but get something that looked nicer than the original, imo.

Would it be because they decided the concrete itself is part of the heritage appeal? Or because somebody really wanted that green roof? Or is it just a cost issue?

There is no concrete roof, only the smoke ducts are concrete, the rest is mostly wood. This stripped away roof is where the new elevated glass canopy is being put in.

I'm more interested in who the heck approved a cinder block elevator shaft on platform 16 - 17. That looks hideous.

There is no concrete roof, only the smoke ducts are concrete, the rest is mostly wood. This stripped away roof is where the new elevated glass canopy is being put in.

I'm more interested in who the heck approved a cinder block elevator shaft on platform 16 - 17. That looks hideous.

Could be for the new luggage elevator and to tell people its not for them. Have to wait to see what it looks like at the end to say more about it.

But the Bush patent is for a roof in reinforced concrete. That's what it's known for. You're telling me this isn't even a real Bush shed they're preserving?

Where will the fans go to expel the diesel exhaust gasses?
Do they need them? It's open at both ends. The engines are typically right at the end near the opening. When this was at an issue at Central Station in Montreal, they went to a system where they turn the engines off as soon as they arrive, and switch to station power, before they even open the doors to let anyone out. Though I heard reports the fumes in the parking structure were worse, with the taxis idling ...

Do they need them? It's open at both ends. The engines are typically right at the end near the opening. When this was at an issue at Central Station in Montreal, they went to a system where they turn the engines off as soon as they arrive, and switch to station power, before they even open the doors to let anyone out. Though I heard reports the fumes in the parking structure were worse, with the taxis idling ...

Also, when electrification is implemented, fumes will only be an issue for VIA trains.

But the Bush patent is for a roof in reinforced concrete. That's what it's known for. You're telling me this isn't even a real Bush shed they're preserving?

The prominent concrete smoke ducts that all the Bush sheds had are the patented piece. That was the design aspect worth patenting... getting the smoke out in the days of coal fired trains.

Back